• George

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Flick

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Mixed/JLP

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Which years was the show less messy for you? The year Kristy or Jericho or Pia won?

IMO the best survivor players have won over the last couple seasons and i’m thankful for that.
I think the first two seasons were good and it's just kinda gone downhill from there. The quality of the show has continued to go down from CvC to CvC2 to All-Stars and the editing just gets more and more imbalanced every season. I don't really care either way about how deserving the winner is if the journey to get to the finale is a slog to watch.

Which years was the show less messy for you? The year Kristy or Jericho or Pia won?

IMO the best survivor players have won over the last couple seasons and i’m thankful for that.

Pia is way better than the last two winners.

I think the first two seasons were good and it's just kinda gone downhill from there. The quality of the show has continued to go down from CvC to CvC2 to All-Stars and the editing just gets more and more imbalanced every season. I don't really care either way about how deserving the winner is if the journey to get to the finale is a slog to watch.
See I don’t see that. For me the editing has been unbalanced since Kristy’s season, where there are character holes where you don’t even know who some of the characters are until the day they go home. Then there is an intense focus on characters that make compelling story for viewers. If they just showed us a bit more of a balanced view, like just anything about what some of the least seen characters are thinking, it would really improve the edit overall. We don’t have to see the major plot characters saying the same thing 30 x over, like comparing their strategy to their job every episode. Just give us more of the other characters we don’t see and what are they thinking?

Hayley absolutely a deserving winner but you can't deny this season was a mess. A twist like secret hidden immunity idols should add to a format, not detract from it, but feel this would have been a much more rewarding watch without them.

They really need to cut back on them next year - imagine how much more of a moment their use would be if they only turned up at merge and hadn't been a factor from the beginning. They won't do that of course but I think at the very most 5 should be in play - one for each original tribe, one added at tribe swap and then one at merge. Once used that should be it.

Wow...as a North American viewer I had almost forgotten I was a member of this board and looking through these comments I am so amazed at how many people on here are trashing their version of Survivor. I have completely the opposite opinion. I love the fact there are 24 long episodes to watch...not only that I was never bored by this season at any time. In fact I far preferred it to almost any season of American Survivor I have ever watched. I thought it was a great final three, all bringing something different to the game and that rarely happens in Survivor ..especially when the top two are the most deserving players to be there and can actually have a legitimate game to talk about rather than floating to the finale.

Hayley is not just a good but a great Survivor player and it appears a great person. It takes a lot to go through 48 days in the Outback and never seem to be without a smile on her face despite all the physical hardships and game setbacks she encountered. Hayley had the type of all round game your rarely see, physical social and strategic...there was nothing lacking. Yes she got voted out but usually those people are major targets if they ever get back into the game and she just mixed back in with everyone without missing a beat and redeemed herself to the point she got 7 jury votes and I dont think anyone cast a vote against her until final 4. Then Hayley outdebated a politician on finale night to the point that had everyone truly been undecided beforehand she would have won anyway. George really messed it up by falling back to his political roots and obfuscating when he should have been answering questions, lecturing rather than discussing, and boasting and bragging rather than trying to relate with the jurors with a bit of humility about his game and pehaps admitting some of its defects.

Anyone who thinks that..especially the current version of American Survivor....now down to 26 days permanently is better should seriously give their head a shake. Both the Australian and South African versions have overtaken it as Jeff Probst's inflating ego and his insistence on turning Survivor into a woke social project is destroying our version of the game. JLP has become a far better host than Jeff ever was.

In fact virtually everything about Australian Survivor has become better than the US version and as I am on another large Survivor board in the US many people there would also agree.

That was a great season with many interesting enjoyable characters....a fun watch (can someone explain the Flick hate on here?? IDGI) a great setting, a great final two and a superior winner.

And I will also add I did enjoy the twists in this game as well and think most of them added to the game rather than detracting from it. This season at least people came to play and the mateship and honor bs was kept to a minimum.

Hi @blowhard89, nice post.
And I will also add I did enjoy the twists in this game as well and think most of them added to the game rather than detracting from it. This season at least people came to play and the mateship and honor bs was kept to a minimum.
I really enjoyed this season too. My main criticism was too many idols and twists, although Redemption Rock ultimately gave us a worthy winner so I have to let that one slide.

A bit of hate against Flick probably because she slid through as the sidekick of (the also much maligned) Dani and only made it as far as she did by luck by smashing the lucky urn after being voted out, and also winning immunity at the F4 challenge.

If they just reduced the show's season run by a couple of episodes so there'd only be a single non-elim ep (or two if someone gets medevaced) and reduce the number of idols in play (four at one point!) I think it'd be an improvement.

To be fair to Flick all three of the finalists got saved at some point thanks to the twists put in by production, and indeed at least with Flick it was clearly down to a medical evacuation requiring that extra non-elimination.

BTW was there no reunion episode this year? Not surprising given the lockdown situation and I personally prefer the result being revealed at the final tribal.

Hi @blowhard89, nice post.

I really enjoyed this season too. My main criticism was too many idols and twists, although Redemption Rock ultimately gave us a worthy winner so I have to let that one slide.

A bit of hate against Flick probably because she slid through as the sidekick of (the also much maligned) Dani and only made it as far as she did by luck by smashing the lucky urn after being voted out, and also winning immunity at the F4 challenge.

If they just reduced the show's season run by a couple of episodes so there'd only be a single non-elim ep (or two if someone gets medevaced) and reduce the number of idols in play (four at one point!) I think it'd be an improvement.
This season however....because of the way they did them....I didnt really mind the non elimination eps....I also think that almost all of the tribal councils and episodes were well edited in most instances to cause a lot of doubt as to who would go. Well at least to me.

You guys are going to hate me....I wasnt really a Dani fan until later in the game when IMHO a better side of her personality came out and I loved her Jury Villa. and it mellowed me. I just couldnt really hate anyone on this season although I thought Rachel lasted far too long for my liking.

The other thing and it may have been discussed on here before but having to deal with those flies for a month and a half with no relief would have driven me crazy....everyone was continually swatting them away from their faces....and apparently they had a 24/7 snake catcher and needed him around because he apparently caught a couple of poisonous brown snakes and several pythons slithering around the campsites during the nights.

They had to endure a lot of things far worse than any of the American Survivors have had to do in their seasons...except for the typhoon a couple of seasons back where they had to be evacuated for a day or so.

Wow...as a North American viewer I had almost forgotten I was a member of this board and looking through these comments I am so amazed at how many people on here are trashing their version of Survivor. I have completely the opposite opinion. I love the fact there are 24 long episodes to watch...not only that I was never bored by this season at any time. In fact I far preferred it to almost any season of American Survivor I have ever watched. I thought it was a great final three, all bringing something different to the game and that rarely happens in Survivor ..especially when the top two are the most deserving players to be there and can actually have a legitimate game to talk about rather than floating to the finale.

Hayley is not just a good but a great Survivor player and it appears a great person. It takes a lot to go through 48 days in the Outback and never seem to be without a smile on her face despite all the physical hardships and game setbacks she encountered. Hayley had the type of all round game your rarely see, physical social and strategic...there was nothing lacking. Yes she got voted out but usually those people are major targets if they ever get back into the game and she just mixed back in with everyone without missing a beat and redeemed herself to the point she got 7 jury votes and I dont think anyone cast a vote against her until final 4. Then Hayley outdebated a politician on finale night to the point that had everyone truly been undecided beforehand she would have won anyway. George really messed it up by falling back to his political roots and obfuscating when he should have been answering questions, lecturing rather than discussing, and boasting and bragging rather than trying to relate with the jurors with a bit of humility about his game and pehaps admitting some of its defects.

Anyone who thinks that..especially the current version of American Survivor....now down to 26 days permanently is better should seriously give their head a shake. Both the Australian and South African versions have overtaken it as Jeff Probst's inflating ego and his insistence on turning Survivor into a woke social project is destroying our version of the game. JLP has become a far better host than Jeff ever was.

In fact virtually everything about Australian Survivor has become better than the US version and as I am on another large Survivor board in the US many people there would also agree.

That was a great season with many interesting enjoyable characters....a fun watch (can someone explain the Flick hate on here?? IDGI) a great setting, a great final two and a superior winner.

hello @blowhard89 what a refreshing post! Love your perspective and absolutely agree with you. We are lucky to have a long season with so many episodes. I also love US Survivor, but I generally binge watch and it’s over too quickly for my liking. I too was never bored, and IMO this season was edited to have the BEST and throughout the season consistently unpredictable TC’s I have ever seen on Survivor. I was literally on the edge of my seat each night.

AND YES this truly was one of the best seasons of Survivor, I agree that the ‘mateship’ bs sometimes holds us back a bit, so I’m so glad they cast players who were willing to play the game (with the exception of a few, who became too salty and personally wounded by in-game actions, but you’re always going to get that). George and Hayley were both deserving to be there at the end and both had HUGE survivor resumes with big moves. Neither a perfect player and our David Genat is still my fave player, but both George and Hayley make top 5 for me

The twists kept the game fresh and exciting and the whole “producers manipulate too much” calls are a bit tired. I’m glad there are twists. As exciting as S01 of US Survivor was, if every game played out like that with no twists after all these years it would be a boring tv show. Imagine the pagongings!

Re: Flick, I certainly didn’t hate her. I just think she left it too late in the game to try to actually play, and didn’t have the resume to even compete with George or Hayley at final TC.

This season however....because of the way they did them....I didnt really mind the non elimination eps....I also think that almost all of the tribal councils and episodes were well edited in most instances to cause a lot of doubt as to who would go. Well at least to me.

You guys are going to hate me....I wasnt really a Dani fan until later in the game when IMHO a better side of her personality came out and I loved her Jury Villa. and it mellowed me. I just couldnt really hate anyone on this season although I thought Rachel lasted far too long for my liking.

The other thing and it may have been discussed on here before but having to deal with those flies for a month and a half with no relief would have driven me crazy....everyone was continually swatting them away from their faces....and apparently they had a 24/7 snake catcher and needed him around because he apparently caught a couple of poisonous brown snakes and several pythons slithering around the campsites during the nights.

They had to endure a lot of things far worse than any of the American Survivors have had to do in their seasons...except for the typhoon a couple of seasons back where they had to be evacuated for a day or so.

Dani just seemed to not be having any enjoyment in the game until towards the end and that put me off her.
I know that life in Survivor is not as hard as it was originally in the US version, for example they don’t need to boil their water. But it is astounding to me that we have our castaways out there for up to 55 days! (This year what was it … 49 odd days?) It would be incredibly hard and it’s even a bigger difference with your version moving to 26 days and I read that might be a permanent change. 🤷🏽‍♂️

As someone who is a VERY vocal critic of the US version, the day count really isn't a big deal at all. The first five South African seasons were all under 30 days and they all ranged from okay to great. There are an abundance of problems with the show's current state and Jeff Probst but shifting to 26 days really isn't as big of a deal as people think.

I still wouldn't call the Australian Survivor editing better than the US's by any means. There is absolutely no excuse for there to be multiple episodes where more than half of the cast gets ignored and doesn't even get a single confessional, and that's become an increasing occurrence in this franchise ever since CvC. Especially with how long the episodes are for Australian Survivor, there's even less of an excuse. Once the merge hits especially, only about 4-5 people get confessionals and some of them are basically the same narrational content rehashed over and over again.

As someone who is a VERY vocal critic of the US version, the day count really isn't a big deal at all. The first five South African seasons were all under 30 days and they all ranged from okay to great. There are an abundance of problems with the show's current state and Jeff Probst but shifting to 26 days really isn't as big of a deal as people think.

I still wouldn't call the Australian Survivor editing better than the US's by any means. There is absolutely no excuse for there to be multiple episodes where more than half of the cast gets ignored and doesn't even get a single confessional, and that's become an increasing occurrence in this franchise ever since CvC. Especially with how long the episodes are for Australian Survivor, there's even less of an excuse. Once the merge hits especially, only about 4-5 people get confessionals and some of them are basically the same narrational content rehashed over and over again.
I didnt say that overall the editing was better than the US version. I did think it was particularly good on this season though and vastly improved from previous seasons. As for the cut in days you might be right....this coming season should be a good indication. Im just at the point when Jeffy touts something as being an improvement to the game its usually the opposite.

I mean you said virtually everything about Australian Survivor is better than US so pardon me for assuming the editing fell under that umbrella.

I don't think a 2 day cycle rather than a 3 day cycle impacts on the show at all. Just as the show is now structured around a camp, challenge area and tribal with the rest being little more than dressing the show structure is based around the set points of the show (challenges and tribal) with the camp life just predominently being about the vote or setting up the episode, so doesn't matter if that's filmed over three hours or three days.

Also in terms of the US version 39 days cut off from the outside world living on basics seemed like a real challenge in the early years - but now viewers have seen it 40 times, and in many cases grown up watching it, it just seems pretty standard, so as it basically isn't reducing the episode count won't make much difference at all.

Back