Former Survivor contestant Stephen Fishbach spills show secrets
MARCH 24, 2016

3:30PM

Survivor contestant Stephen Fishbach has a breakdown
external

origin:video_integrator.wzM3VhMjE6Enc-6ZqlEKV4QuMhK_LUte

Staff writers

news.com.au
A TWO-TIME Survivor contestant has revealed what viewers don’t see on TV.

Stephen Fishbach, who competed in Survivor: Tocantins in 2009 and last year’sSurvivor: Cambodia, wrote on Quora that “99% of Survivor is below the surface”.

“On-air you see the tribal councils, the challenges, maybe a few key goofy moments, and a lot of strategy talk. But ultimately you’re only seeing about 10-15 minutes of camp life for every 72 hours that’s filmed. There’s a lot of boredom, lying around, chatting about families, making dumb jokes.”

Fishbach, who finished second on the reality show in 2009, said a fair chunk of each day is taken up with strategy talk.

“I will almost guarantee for you that everybody talks to everybody, at least a little. They just show the conversations that are most relevant to the story at play.

“There’s also just much more daily maintenance that goes into building an alliance and pulling off a plan than you see. From the perspective of the show, it’s one or two conversations, a handshake, and then the trigger is pulled. It’s actually 20 or 30 conversations, tons of small reinforcements, little moments of support and reassurance.”

3f6c62593abb02c51dfae7b744c8bf75

Stephen Fishbach now hosts a podcast called The Purple Rock Survivor Podcast.Source:Supplied

According to Fishbach, there are three main personality traits that are essential in order to do well on the show.

“Adaptability is definitely a top attribute,” he wrote.

“Things change quickly, and you have to be able to accept that your plans may change too. That could be from a huge shift in the game — say, a swap or the merge — or it could just be that you learn some new intel. You have to be able to change your plans and not get locked into one way of thinking about things.

“You also have to be observant — and trust your observations. Having great reads on people may be the MOST valuable skill.

“Self-control is also important. Being able to look calm when you’re really paranoid. People are attracted to confident and relaxed allies — paranoia just breeds paranoia.”

The corporate consultant from New York got to compete on Survivor for the second time in 2015 when 20 former players were voted onto the season by fans.

678f9c21db417863a50a48f6199ea77e

Jeff Probst addresses the remaining survivors before the start of a challenge on Survivor: Cambodia.Source:Channel 9

And his preparation changed dramatically from when he first appeared on the show.

“First of all, at a baseline, there’s different types of physical training,” wrote Fishbach.

“Before my first time on Survivor, I spent a lot of hours in the gym — bulking up with muscle strength. I quickly learned that kind of power is irrelevant on Survivor, and plus you’re adding a lot of mass that will just atrophy when you’re deprived of calories.

“You need short burst endurance and speed, as well as balance. For my second time, I did a lot of Crossfit-style, full body workouts that lasted 20-30 minutes of sustained effort.”

These are definitely some handy tips for contestants on the upcoming Australian Survivor which will air on Network Ten later this year.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...s/news-story/4dfdc934a8d79397385ab0b0beaee5a5

I've posted a couple on my own blog if people are interested.

Top 10 Potential Hosts - (Also published on SurvivorOZ) - http://talkingrecaps.com/2016/02/06/top-10-potential-hosts-of-australian-survivor/

Viral Applications - http://talkingrecaps.com/2016/02/24/australian-survivor-viral-video-applications/

What We Know So Far (podcast) - http://talkingrecaps.com/2016/03/27/australian-survivor-what-we-know-so-far/

Reading through the forum, looks like this is a pretty cool community!

Not as cool as here ;)

I've posted a couple on my own blog if people are interested.

Top 10 Potential Hosts - (Also published on SurvivorOZ) - http://talkingrecaps.com/2016/02/06/top-10-potential-hosts-of-australian-survivor/

Viral Applications - http://talkingrecaps.com/2016/02/24/australian-survivor-viral-video-applications/

What We Know So Far (podcast) - http://talkingrecaps.com/2016/03/27/australian-survivor-what-we-know-so-far/

Reading through the forum, looks like this is a pretty cool community!

I would be happy with your first two choices for host! Grant Bowler is great, and I always liked James.

I would be happy with your first two choices for host! Grant Bowler is great, and I always liked James.

I really think Grant Bowler's performance on The Mole, as well as Border Security, make him as close to a Jeff Probst we have in Australia. He has the acting skills as well. He would be my preference and I think he could carry the show. I think James would also be a great choice - he has shown himself to be a great host and I think he is mature enough to handle this role.

I really think Grant Bowler's performance on The Mole, as well as Border Security, make him as close to a Jeff Probst we have in Australia. He has the acting skills as well. He would be my preference and I think he could carry the show. I think James would also be a great choice - he has shown himself to be a great host and I think he is mature enough to handle this role.

Yes! The mole was very underrated i thought.

I liked James' laconic sense of humor on Australian Idol. Him and Osher worked well together.

I tried to make the list realistic in terms of who I think TEN would select as a host... Except for my number 1 pick. I could not go past Grant, I just love everything he does, however think it is super unlikely.

Dan McPherson also busy in the States but would be a good choice.

If I was a betting person (i'm not), i'd likely go Dr. Chris Brown as he is with TEN and they have high opinion of his work. I'm not a huge fan, but whoever gets the role will struggle to live up to Jeff.

As much as I like Dr. Chris Brown I think the host should be someone fresh who isn't hosting a show right now on TV. Chris also does Bondi Vet and The Living Room for the rest of the year. If he hosted Survivor that would make him appearing on four shows in total and perhaps that is too much exposure?

Same with Grant Denyer. He will have The Great Australian Spelling Bee which will air just before Survivor starts. It would be Grant Denyer overkill. I also think he wouldn't be able to do Family Feud as well if he went off to host this.

The only person I really couldn't stand hosting from your list @Vantz is Shelley Craft. She hosted a Big Brother program back in 2013 called Big Brother Showdown which was like Friday Night Games. She was absolutely dreadful on it. I think she is too sickly sweet. And she reeks of Channel Nine. They are EVIL I tell you!!! :p

Grant Bowler is probably busy over in the US right?

Narrowing it down on your list if they were to pick someone from there I think (pure speculation this is) it could be between Matt White, Rove, Daniel MacPherson and James Mathison.

Saying that though:
Matt White has motor racing commitments all year.
Daniel might be busy in the states.
Rove might not be interested. Not sure about him to be honest and if hosting a reality TV show would appeal to him.

also don't forget that rove has a morning radio show now, would be pretty tough to host from some random island wouldn't it?

Shelley Craft, Grant Denyer or Jamie Durie would totally ruin this from the get go. Along with being annoying personalities, Shelley and Grant are too bubbly and lack the gravitas needed for Survivor.

The others aren't too bad, though I don't see Dr Chris Brown as a good match either.

Shelley Craft, Grant Denyer or Jamie Durie would totally ruin this from the get go. Along with being annoying personalities, Shelley and Grant are too bubbly and lack the gravitas needed for Survivor.

The others aren't too bad, though I don't see Dr Chris Brown as a good match either.
I think Jamie Durie will be wearing coordinating khaki and blue fatigues and handing out free hint buffs at the Channel 10 canteen to get himself across the line. :(

If you squint, I even look like Jeff, he is thinking.
images

As much as I like Dr. Chris Brown I think the host should be someone fresh who isn't hosting a show right now on TV. Chris also does Bondi Vet and The Living Room for the rest of the year. If he hosted Survivor that would make him appearing on four shows in total and perhaps that is too much exposure?

Same with Grant Denyer. He will have The Great Australian Spelling Bee which will air just before Survivor starts. It would be Grant Denyer overkill. I also think he wouldn't be able to do Family Feud as well if he went off to host this.

The only person I really couldn't stand hosting from your list @Vantz is Shelley Craft. She hosted a Big Brother program back in 2013 called Big Brother Showdown which was like Friday Night Games. She was absolutely dreadful on it. I think she is too sickly sweet. And she reeks of Channel Nine. They are EVIL I tell you!!! :p

Grant Bowler is probably busy over in the US right?

Narrowing it down on your list if they were to pick someone from there I think (pure speculation this is) it could be between Matt White, Rove, Daniel MacPherson and James Mathison.

Saying that though:
Matt White has motor racing commitments all year.
Daniel might be busy in the states.
Rove might not be interested. Not sure about him to be honest and if hosting a reality TV show would appeal to him.

I agree with everything you said. When you write an article for certain outlets, you have to include certain things they may want you to include despite not personally agreeing with some points. (This was originally posted on Survivor Oz), you also include people that may cause debate and argument. :) This was not my dream list, more a list of who could be likely considering it is being produced by TEN.

Reality
Actor Jonathan LaPaglia surprise pick to host Australian Survivor
April 10, 2016 12:00am
Tiffany DunkNational TV EditorNews Corp Australia Network
537ebb0c5e106d1eb6a2468c4f639f58

Jonathan LaPaglia is the surprise pick to host the new series Australian Survivor. Picture: Glen McCurtayne/Coleman Rayner.

THE tribe at Network Ten has spoken: Jonathan LaPaglia has been named as the host of upcoming big-budget reality series Australian Survivor.

The Aussie actor, best known for his roles in TV series including Love Child and The Slap, will be seen by many as a surprising choice for the network. Not only is this his first hosting gig, but his name hasn’t once appeared during the months of speculation about who would take on the coveted role.

Experienced Australian hosts including Rove McManus, Jamie Durie and Dr Chris Brown were all popular picks for the plum job.

Even LaPaglia himself is still trying to work out how he managed to beat out such seasoned competitors.

“I’m not sure why they singled me out,” the 46-year-old actor told News Corp from his LA home.

“Out of the blue my agent called me and said, ‘How would you feel about hosting Survivor?

d856cb1063535d71a347db400a1f10de

LaPaglia says producers had a list of attributes for the hosting role.
They know I’m into outdoor pursuits and I guess they wanted someone who had some humanity for the contestants, but was also an authoritative figure. That’s how (the producers) put it to me. I think they must be talking about someone else though!”

Already a fan of the popular American series, which is currently in it’s 32nd season, since landing the gig LaPaglia has been binge-watching old episodes to get up to speed before he starts work.

“My daughter (Tilly, 11, with wife Ursula Brooks) hadn’t seen Survivor before but now we’ve been watching a whole bunch together,” he said. “The whole family is totally hooked and obsessed.”

He also got some much needed advice from American host Jeff Probst about how to tackle the demanding gig.

With Probst having to constantly think on his feet while commentating unpredictable challenges plus helming emotional and explosive tribal councils, he’s often named as having one of the most challenging hosting roles on television.

677aa73abd3494559f9ce693de38bdc5

Jonathan LaPaglia gained some valuable insights from US Survivor host Jeff Probst.
The pair met over coffee where LaPaglia grilled Probst about the complexities of the role, especially how to helm those critical tribal councils.

“His job in that part of the show is to try and peel back layers and press buttons to try and expose people,” said LaPaglia

“Hopefully I’ll be attentive and perceptive and pick upon stuff that’s going on.”

With the number of applicants for the series now at well over 15,000 people, LaPaglia will travel to the yet-to-be-disclosed South Pacific location for over two months when filming starts later this year.

And while he made a point that acting is still his number one passion, he’s certainly open to another hosting role should Survivor work out well.

“I’m totally terrified doing a job like Survivor but excited too,” he said. “I love a challenge.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...k=5b1b0351bdb659b565caf502ae4a0dae-1460215965

http://at.dailytelegraph.com.au/link/49e62fd511a465b395c73b9935b0ceb5?domain=dailytelegraph.com.au
http://at.dailytelegraph.com.au/link/1e805a8976214f8ade29354c1bb5e1c9?domain=dailytelegraph.com.au
http://at.dailytelegraph.com.au/link/6812331eff72c2f8042e7a7c292981ac?domain=dailytelegraph.com.au

http://www.mediaweek.com.au/inside-...the-international-format-off-his-bucket-list/

To a packed room of enthusiastic media buyers, journalists, and other media types, Ten launched Australian Survivor. A local version of the format popularised by the CBS version from the US hosted by Jeff Probst, Australian Survivor is set for the final quarter of 2016 to be hosted by Jonathan LaPaglia.

During the evening, host Sandra Sully introduced the eagerly anticipated LaPaglia. Australian Survivor is the first hosting job by LaPaglia, who has built a steady career as an actor in US series including Seven Days, New York Undercover, and The District, as well as local series The Slap, Underbelly: Badness, and Love Child.

After the presentation, Mediaweek spoke with series executive producer Stephen Tate about the series. Tate, who was set to fly out to the shooting location in Samoa just 48 hours later, made it clear that working on the series was a professional dream come true.

How long has Australian Survivor been in the works?

I’ve been trying to make this happen for quite a long time. A lot of formats take a long time to come to fruition because the rights might be held by other people, or there could be a tape sale or something that could prevent it. So, we had to wait for the right time. Also, we had a need at the end of this year and we like to do shows that are splashy and big. You don’t get much bigger than Survivor.

This is not the first time that Survivor has been tried in Australia, with Nine initially producing a version in 2002, and Seven mounting a celebrity version of the format in 2006. Was that a concern when approaching this?

In a way it is a challenge, it really throws down the gauntlet to make sure that we get it right, so we left no stone unturned. We want to make this authentic. We want to stay true to the experiment. It is the most successful format in reality television throughout the world. So, there is no reason why we can’t do a really great job of that. To that end we’ve enlisted Endemol Shine as our production partners to make this. We know through working with them on MasterChef and Bachelor and Bachelorette that they’re going to do an extraordinary job and, as it turns out, their corridors are riddled with Survivor superfans. So, they jumped at the chance.

The production value of the US version is impressive. Can Australian Survivor match that?

We set out to be the best that we can possibly be. We made sure that we had the finance to do this properly before we took it on. We wouldn’t do it if we couldn’t do it properly.

I will be there for the entire 55 days. I leave on Friday. I haven’t been to Samoa yet, so I’m really looking forward to it.

Will you be staying in a town and travelling to the set?

That’s actually really important when you’re looking at a location for Survivor because it does actually need to be remote. There are some practicalities that you need to take into consideration around housing a crew of 200, feeding them, and making sure that they have some stimulation outside of work. Samoa provides a great location for that. Also, it’s a proven location. The US have been through there a couple of times now. We’re not using exactly the same locations as them. But, for our first one, we wanted to go with a location that has been broken in by the US.

Will there be previously built structures in place?

No, because the contestants build everything themselves. As far as the actual experience for the contestants: they turn up on a beach and they have to survive. As far as the crew is concerned, we will be using local amenities and the Samoan Government has been amazing. They could not be more helpful and welcoming. For that reason, it was a great decision to go there.

What sort of safety precautions are in place?

We have a full safety team, particularly around the challenges – the immunity challenges. As far as actual camp life is concerned when they are on their own, they are actually on their own. This is real. So, yes, there is the potential for injury. Obviously we’re ready to jump in and help at any time. There is always somebody on the crew observing them, but it’s very important that they get the full experience of genuinely surviving on an island.

What happens if a crew member is injured?

We have to actually have redundancies for almost every position because, as we’ve discovered on other formats like I’m A Celebrity, when you’re working in an extreme and remote environment, you can’t just pick up the phone and call somebody in. You need people that are capable of multitasking and it’s all hands to the pump at various times.

What makes the Australian version different from overseas?

What we want to explore is the concept of mateship. We think that’s a really strong, central theme for an Australian series. We’ve set the prize money at a level that would be a real dilemma as to whether you would stab a mate in the back or not.

It is a game, but it’s also very close to real life. You can actually see your office politics, your family dynamics in this format in an absolutely extreme way.

What made Jonathan LaPaglia the right host for the show? He certainly looks the part.

His looks are a happy accident. That’s actually not why we cast him. The reason why we cast him was we were throwing out a lot of ideas and we actually started the casting process before we announced the series, which meant we were able to have a few quiet chats with people before news got out. Jonathan has qualities that almost nobody else that we spoke to has. He actually studied medicine before he went into acting. He’s also so incredibly physically fit that you almost believe that if he were a contestant, he’d win it. On paper he’s the perfect host. What really nailed it was he actually did a screen-test for us absolutely off his own back in his own lounge-room in LA and we all looked at it and the search was over.

Was LaPaglia’s American accent a concern for Australian Survivor?

It’s not an issue at all. Accents on Australian television are welcomed. I want him to be who he really is. He has a slight accent. I don’t want him to pretend he doesn’t. He’s not acting in this role. He’s actually Jonathan LaPaglia for the first time in his career.

What sort of qualities were you seeking from a host?

The most important thing is they actually had the game in their head at all times. That’s not just the physical game, it’s the mental game. Jeff [Probst] has been such a success at this for 32 seasons because he is one of the executive producers of the US series. We’re really encouraging Jonathan to be across all of the decision making and with us in the executive producer bunker at all times so he knows all of the twists of the game.

US host Jeff Probst is an expert in the Survivor game mechanics. Will LaPaglia match that?

It was important that they met. Jeff was able to download as much as possible to Jonathan.

How many episodes of Australian Survivor can we expect to see?

You can see by the fact that it’s 55 days. One of the longest shoots in the world. The US is 39 days. I think the longest ever has been 60 days. There will be a lot of content. These days it has to live on so many platforms and we’ll be finding a home for it everywhere that we can.

Will we know the contestants on the show before the show launches?

We want the audience to get to know the contestants and to be as invested in the contestants as possible. We’re also incredibly excited by the people that we’ve cast. 15,000 applications. In my time at Ten, I’ve been there for nearly 16 years. The only other show that had that number of applications was series 2 of Idol. It’s six times what a reality series usually gets to apply.

How engaged have the format owners been?

Castaway owns the format internationally and we have a Castaway fly-in producer with us in Samoa. She’s already been out and we’ve had sessions with her to talk about the way we’re tackling this show. The insights have been incredible. I’ve been a fan since the first UK series – I was working in the UK when it hit the screens. It’s always been on my bucket list as a show I’ve wanted to work on. To be able to EP it for the network is a dream come true.

http://www.mediaweek.com.au/inside-...the-international-format-off-his-bucket-list/

We want the audience to get to know the contestants and to be as invested in the contestants as possible. We’re also incredibly excited by the people that we’ve cast. 15,000 applications. In my time at Ten, I’ve been there for nearly 16 years. The only other show that had that number of applications was series 2 of Idol. It’s six times what a reality series usually gets to apply.
I found that interesting. I'm under the impression that Big Brother had even more than that at least once at its peak?

I found that interesting. I'm under the impression that Big Brother had even more than that at least once at its peak?
That was my thought as well. I'm pretty sure BB2005 had the same number (15, 000). I wouldn't be surprised if 2003/2004 or 2006 had more applications then that.

That was my thought as well. I'm pretty sure BB2005 had the same number (15, 000). I wouldn't be surprised if 2003/2004 or 2006 had more applications then that.
I know Gretel definitely mentions the amount of applicants during specials and/or openings of the 2001-2005 seasons, especially in the early years, so when I can be bothered I might check it out and report back! Haha.

Back