Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2019) - Episode 1 Discussion

Really enjoyable first episode.

I just had a feeling Anastasia would go first.

It's always a shame when sports boofheads band together, but if anyone was going to throw a spanner in the works it was Nova.

Luke can talk the talk but doesn't have the intelligence to back it up. He was even out of the loop on the Pia vote.

The male model is not good looking at all.

My sweep pick Casey had three seconds screentime tonight.

Nova is a shady bitch. Get rid of her
Yeah, she seems like the dodgiest biatch based on that edit. Shady af. No wonder she went into politics.

Male model, name unknown, is glorious.

Why didn't the sporting alphas target Janine? Her name wasn't even in the mix. I'd want her out first.
I always get the shady ones - last year it was Brian, this year Nova -I hope Nova does bring out a good quality, not seen yet :)

I didn't really understand that vote, maybe the edit needed to do more to explain why people went along with Nova.

It looks like they tried to even up the two sides more this year, it was just too easy for the Champions to get ahead from early on last year because of their physical advantage.

All the talk about Luke's spy shack conveniently ignores that he took the idea from the US version anyway. I think he's a target having played before and some won't trust him at all. It was funny that someone spying (inadvertently or not) embarrassed him this episode.

You can see them trying to repeat some types, Steven reminds me very much of Brian. Andy is like a combination of Steve and Jackie last year, though he's different in that he's obviously done plenty of practice on Survivor challenges, and that should help him be an asset in the team challenges at least.

Is there a regular schedule with this? On again tomorrow.

For some reason the athletes "team" decided to switch their vote over to Anastasia. But because the producers wanted suspense they left that scene out and instead we had Simon Black telling us in his voting confessional during the end scene.

I just assumed that Anastasia talked herself intro trouble at tribal council, and Pia endeared herself a bit. So if the champions were on the fence, a few looks and nods between them (led by Nova) would have confirmed one or the other. Luke must have heard it was Pia, but was left out of the loop on the change.
It didn't seem to come out of nowhere to me, as I picked Anastasia to go based on a fee;ling that a professional memory expert (control freak) would rub people the wrong way quite early.

For some reason the athletes "team" decided to switch their vote over to Anastasia. But because the producers wanted suspense they left that scene out and instead we had Simon Black telling us in his voting confessional during the end scene.

I thought there was more surprise than suspense at the vote as it looked very obvious that Pia would go. I'm surprised that Nova hasn't rubbed people the wrong way yet.

Well that was a great first episode. The cinematography was awesome as usual.
My sweep David actually seemed decent for an International Model (so far). I was expecting someone useless.
Andy is an absolute F@$knuckle and needs to go tonight.
Johno is a machine and is the only reason that the contenders won that immunity challenge. They would still be there trying to climb over things if it wasn't for him.
I was hoping Pia would stay, since she is such a super fan and very likeable. I do think that booting Anastasia so early was a bad move since she looked pretty strong.
I know some of you don't like him but I am loving every minute of Luke on the screen.
I thought it was interesting that Steven wanted an alliance of the athletes and they were talking about strength, when some of them clearly haven't kept up on their fitness.
I know tonight's challenge is about strength but it would be nice if they can mix it up a bit.

I haven't watched much of Australian Survivor (or American for that matter!). But I'm loving Nova and will be watching for her. I know people have commented here that she was shady - but watching today (in particular the council bit) she was pretty transparent in her reasoning. Am I missing something?

Sorry..watching from North America and a bit behind. Why was the vote switched to Anastasia? Whatever reason it was the explanation was not shown on what I saw.

I haven't watched much of Australian Survivor (or American for that matter!). But I'm loving Nova and will be watching for her. I know people have commented here that she was shady - but watching today (in particular the council bit) she was pretty transparent in her reasoning. Am I missing something?

I don't think she is shady, and am tipping her to win or come close.

Sorry..watching from North America and a bit behind. Why was the vote switched to Anastasia? Whatever reason it was the explanation was not shown on what I saw.

No reasons were spelled out but I felt that decisions were made in tribal council, where Anastasia perhaps came across as too intense and therefore more of a threat, whereas Pia, by her own admission, put on an acting performance to convince them she was harmless.

I would so love for Nova to win - but I also think what Nova did in episode one outed her as a clear 'double threat' and it'll be interesting to see if playing that card so early helps or hinders. Nova is obviously an athlete, but also has strategy and rallying skills to make things happen. Her reasons to keep Pia in the game were interesting and I felt they went beyond the prevailing mindset of the athletes, where it seemed that physical superiority somehow trumped other skills people can bring to the mix.

Just catching up on the first two eps today - easily the best produced reality show on Australian TV. Just stunning, and feels like it has the budget it deserves. Generally it's well cast too, and although I'd much rather they'd have gone with another concept this year (I think City v Country would be a good one, but suspect next year it'll be Fans v Favourites) this format means you almost automatically back the Contenders as the underdogs.

I do like how Nova flipped the vote and think Steve was pretty smart in how he set up the alliance as I think he is an obvious first boot - hopefully Luke and the others will realise that soon, but from the airtime Luke is getting I suspect his days are numbered.

Heck, based on previous years the winner is probably the person who we haven't realised is there yet.

Back