Skip to main content

Are millennials the ratings issue?

Also TV ratings in general are down. People don’t watch TV like we did even just two or three years ago.

Speaking of TV's etc. I bought my last TV back in 2013 and back then I think all you pretty much could get was a basic television that was designed to just tune into all the "free to air" digital tv channels.

Anyway that tv finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and I started searching for a new tv set. I noticed that almost every new tv that's for sale now are mainly designed to be used with "internet tv" like "netflix" "youtube" "google" and whatever else they call these "online tv shows/programs"? lol

Anyway could this also contribute to the cause of the lower ratings on the traditional "free to air" ratings like the old days? I reckon there must be alot more people nowadays all using their new tv's for internet viewing rather than the traditional "free to air" viewing like me and possibly some other "dinosaurs" out there still watching "free to air" television from their old school outdoor antenna...? LOL!

I actually had to look around for a while to find a brand new tv set that still only caters for the older traditional "free to air" digital channels only, and not to be mainly set up for "internet tv" like almost every new "smart tv" television set that's for sale now. It's good because I have a brand new tv and a remote control which doesn't feature any damn "internet tv" buttons as I will never be using them.

Speaking of TV's etc. I bought my last TV back in 2013 and back then I think all you pretty much could get was a basic television that was designed to just tune into all the "free to air" digital tv channels.

Anyway that tv finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and I started searching for a new tv set. I noticed that almost every new tv that's for sale now are mainly designed to be used with "internet tv" like "netflix" "youtube" "google" and whatever else they call these "online tv shows/programs"? lol

Anyway could this also contribute to the cause of the lower ratings on the traditional "free to air" ratings like the old days? I reckon there must be alot more people nowadays all using their new tv's for internet viewing rather than the traditional "free to air" viewing like me and possibly some other "dinosaurs" out there still watching "free to air" television from their old school outdoor antenna...? LOL!

I asked a similar question a little earlier in this thread. I asked whether they base ratings purely on "free to air" TV viewing. Or, to put it another way, are they actually calculating the ratings correctly and taking in to account all the different ways to view the show (such as online)?

timmy and up_all_night responded and clarified the following ...

Yes they are now. The "Total TV" ratings that come out a week later include the 5-capital city and regional overnights and time-shifted views, plus a week's worth of catch-up views. Have a look at the ratings thread.
TV audience measurement.

I know I was watching online.

Back