Skip to main content

Are millennials the ratings issue?

It took me a long time to accept I was a Millennial. I always assumed I was Gen Y, and the Millennials were the generation after me.
I despised being called a Millennial because it was always used in a negative way.

Thank fuck I'm not a Gen Z. Those kids are a punish :cool:

The problem is that BB creates nothing viral, there's no water cooler talk. No one is dying to talk about what just happened on BB. Being live and showing more could change that. The reason people here cling to the forum is for some group experience. We used to just get that by following the show live.
Exactly right. But Seven is married to their Reject Shop format, which is why I'd rather they cancel their show than renew it. At least if they did, there'd be a (slim) chance of a better future incarnation in a few years. By renewing it now, they have just set that chance back by another year. Meh.

Poor Millennials.
Now we're even getting blamed for BB tanking.
I know - even most of the ogs are millenials!

People in the house that were not millennials

Lara
Mel
Reggie
Dave
Trev
Johnson
Alesha
Gabbie
Jaycee

Those that are millenials are
taras
Brenton
Jules
Sam
Lulu
Joel
Josh
Estelle
Tim
Drew
Tully
Layla

I don't think millenials are the problem.

I despised being called a Millennial because it was always used in a negative way.

Thank fuck I'm not a Gen Z. Those kids are a punish :cool:
lolironic that you're critiquing Zoomers in the same breath as saying you hate the way that Millenials get critiqued.
Every generation has had it's flaws. But we all know Boomers are the worst.

Poor Millennials.
Now we're even getting blamed for BB tanking.

One issue I think may exist is that TV execs expect TV ratings. Well, it's a more modern world now. So, how many of the millennials actually watched it on a TV screen, instead of streaming it on a device of some kind? Just how much are the viewing numbers really down (ie, don't look only at the TV ratings)?

And, for that matter, how many of the Boomers, Gen Y and Gen Z watched it on a TV screen? Ergo, the same question ... just how much are the viewing numbers really down?

Or, to put it another way, are they actually calculating the "ratings" correctly and taking in to account all the different ways to view it? The TV ratings might be down, but the actual viewing numbers could be reasonably healthy.

Last edited:
One issue I think may exist is that TV execs expect TV ratings. Well, how many of the millennials actually watched it on a TV screen, instead of streaming it on a device of some kind? So, just how much are the viewing numbers really down (ie, don't look only at the TV ratings)?

And, for that matter, how many of the Boomers, Gen Y and Gen Z watched it on a TV screen? Ergo, the same question ... just how much are the viewing numbers really down?

Or, to put it another way, are they actually calculating the "ratings" correctly and taking in to account all the different ways to view it?
Yes they are now. The "Total TV" ratings that come out a week later include the 5-capital city and regional overnights and time-shifted views, plus a week's worth of catch-up views. Have a look at the ratings thread.

Yes they are now. The "Total TV" ratings that come out a week later include the 5-capital city and regional overnights and time-shifted views, plus a week's worth of catch-up views. Have a look at the ratings thread.

Right. OK. Fair enough then. In that case, my question is moot. 😐

One issue I think may exist is that TV execs expect TV ratings. Well, how many of the millennials actually watched it on a TV screen, instead of streaming it on a device of some kind? So, just how much are the viewing numbers really down (ie, don't look only at the TV ratings)?

Us Gen x - always get missed nowdays lol! - or are we the generation you thought did watch it on telly?

Us Gen x - always get missed nowdays lol! - or are we the generation you thought did watch it on telly?

Oops. And I am Gen X myself. Nice pick up. :thumbsup: I think I got confused when beardymac said "Zoomers".

I also missed Gen A. LOL.

(And, for the record, I watched it on TV.)

Oops. And I am Gen X myself. Nice pick up. :thumbsup: I think I got confused when beardymac said "Zoomers".

I also missed Gen A. LOL.
lol I found it amusing only in how often gen x always used to be the generation that was talked about, now its just kind of skipped over all the time in so many things you see. I don't mind that really.

Right. OK. Fair enough then. In that case, my question is moot. 😐
Total TV average for the season up until last Tuesday (latest available figure) is 780k, if that helps. Obviously Seven still thinks for the money they're spending on it that's still viable. o_O But like TV Tonight speculates, it could be relegated to a later slot next year.

OzTAM TV ratings are audience estimates that are based on actual viewing behaviour of 5,250 homes in Australian metro cities. The homes provide a representative sample of the Australian population and when the TV in these homes is switched on, the meter lights up and asks who is watching.
TV audience measurement.

I know I was watching online.

One issue I think may exist is that TV execs expect TV ratings. Well, it's a more modern world now. So, how many of the millennials actually watched it on a TV screen, instead of streaming it on a device of some kind? Just how much are the viewing numbers really down (ie, don't look only at the TV ratings)?

Or, to put it another way, are they actually calculating the "ratings" correctly and taking in to account all the different ways to view it? The TV ratings might be down, but the actual viewing numbers could be reasonably healthy.

The way ratings are calculated has always seemed very antiquated to me. Put a box in a few homes and estimate from that how successful a program is. I’ve never met anybody in my lifetime who has an OzTAM box or even knows anyone else who has one. You would think by now they would have a better way of figuring viewership out. I’m not saying this iteration of BB would necessarily do any better if the numbers were more accurate but at least the BVOD numbers are a more true indication of the desire for the show.

The way ratings are calculated has always seemed very antiquated to me. Put a box in a few homes and estimate from that how successful a program is. I’ve never met anybody in my lifetime who has an OzTAM box or even knows anyone else who has one. You would think by now they would have a better way of figuring viewership out. I’m not saying this iteration of BB would necessarily do any better if the numbers were more accurate but at least the BVOD numbers are a more true indication of the desire for the show.

Agree. I have never understood it either. They tell you that the people who do apparently have these boxes are a good "representation" of the Australian viewing public. Ummm. OK. I suppose we have to believe them. But, like you, I’ve never met anybody in my lifetime who has an OzTAM box or even knows anyone else who has one.

I have always assumed there's a bit of deliberate nonsense that goes on with the rating systems.

Also never heard or met anyone or even heard of anyone with a ratings box.

I remember it being called into question a few years back after one of the commercial networks had an outage but still outrated SBS according to the rating system.

Back