Skip to main content

Anyone here ever been sent something they didn’t order?

starstruck

Is Nobbi still in the Kombie?
Hey peeps,

I have a situation and do not know what I should do. Long story short, I ordered the new IPhone 11 Pro about a month ago. For some reason I was sent two phones instead of one, but have only been billed for one?

Has this ever happened to you? Do I need to send the phone back? I assume they will notice the phone was mistakenly sent to me when they do stocktake? I have had the phone for over a month.

By the way, The phone remains unopened.

Any insight peeps?

Presumably it came with tracking so they can prove you received it, assuming they pick up the error, which could take a while.

In the 1990s I bought a new computer from a full page promotion in the newspaper for $4000. I paid $1500 by cheque and asked them to put the rest on my credit card. They only put $1500 on the card though, so I saved a grand. The company later went into receivership and closed down. So the moral is you could put Apple out of business if you're dishonest. I think that's the moral?
🤔

I ordered a book once (reasonably pricey coffee table type thing for a gift) and they sent me a guitar. I rang them up since I still wanted the book and they said to just keep the guitar and sent me the book as well.

Last week I bought togs through PayPal and I noticed I’d been charged twice. I contacted PayPal and the told me to contact the company as well. Ended up getting 2 refunds and the togs free.

Look at it as a gift from apple 😂😂😂

Presumably it came with tracking so they can prove you received it, assuming they pick up the error, which could take a while.

In the 1990s I bought a new computer from a full page promotion in the newspaper for $4000. I paid $1500 by cheque and asked them to put the rest on my credit card. They only put $1500 on the card though, so I saved a grand. The company later went into receivership and closed down. So the moral is you could put Apple out of business if you're dishonest. I think that's the moral?
🤔
That’s a pretty awesome result! I guess I will be dishonest then haha!
I miss the old cheque days haha. I also miss the swipey credit card machine with the carbon paper. I am only in my 30’s so never really had the pleasure of writing a cheque 😔

That’s a pretty awesome result! I guess I will be dishonest then haha!
I'm not sure that's the moral either! But to be safe, keep it sealed for a few weeks and see if they contact you.

Narrator: Timmydownawell does not condone theft in any way

I ordered a book once (reasonably pricey coffee table type thing for a gift) and they sent me a guitar. I rang them up since I still wanted the book and they said to just keep the guitar and sent me the book as well.

how random they sent a guitar. Do you play, or did you learn after the mix up?

I'm not sure that's the moral either! But to be safe, keep it sealed for a few weeks and see if they contact you.

Narrator: Timmydownawell does not condone theft in any way
It is still sealed and has been sitting here for a month. I am concerned they may end up billing me for the phone. I also do not want them to take any legal action against me for whatever reason. Not sure if that can happen?
Anyway. I will let you know what happens.

It is still sealed and has been sitting here for a month. I am concerned they may end up billing me for the phone. I also do not want them to take any legal action against me for whatever reason. Not sure if that can happen?
Anyway. I will let you know what happens.

They most likely could. Similar to the McDonalds situation but to a extreme magnitude.

Last edited:
how random they sent a guitar. Do you play, or did you learn after the mix up?

I got the feeling it was sent from a company running a dispatch warehouse for various businesses, hence the random mix up.

I’ve tried to get into guitar a few times but my fingers just don’t seem supple enough.

I think your conscience is telling you to send it back and you don't appear to want to profit from it or require the extra phone. I would advise contacting them though rather than simply sending it back and they should arrange for it to be returned themselves, which effectively means it's their responsibility once it leaves you rather than still being your responsibility until they receive it back.

If you do pay to return it (perhaps you want to anonymously) make sure it is tracked so you have proof you've returned it should it ever come back on you.

I got the feeling it was sent from a company running a dispatch warehouse for various businesses, hence the random mix up.

I’ve tried to get into guitar a few times but my fingers just don’t seem supple enough.
Yeah I don’t think supple fingers work well with stringed instruments. Amazingly, I have really supple hands as well. I wear gloves due to my job and I find it makes them so soft now.

I think your conscience is telling you to send it back and you don't appear to want to profit from it or require the extra phone. I would advise contacting them though rather than simply sending it back and they should arrange for it to be returned themselves, which effectively means it's their responsibility once it leaves you rather than still being your responsibility until they receive it back.

If you do pay to return it (perhaps you want to anonymously) make sure it is tracked so you have proof you've returned it should it ever come back on you.
Yes I do not need it. I certainly do not want to get in trouble, but I will not be paying to return it to the company.

If they want it back they can pick it up or pay for a return postage parcel bag. I think that’s fair.

So I have contacted the company via FB messenger. I told them I have received an extra phone with my order and asked them what would you like me to do? They asked for the IMEI number, which is on the back of the packaging, so they could look up the phone. I supplied that. They thanked me for my honesty and this is the last response I got with some changes due to privacy.

“Thanks for providing us with the IMEI number Starstruck. Due to system difficulties, I'm unable to access your account at this stage. However, I've raised an IT case to rectify the issue. Case ref: xxxxxx Once this has been resolved, we'll be able to investigate your enquiry further. Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Xxxxx”

So this was over 24 hours ago. I have received no further correspondence since. No FB msg,no call and certainly no email.

My next question is, How long can I legally wait to gain ownership of the phone if they don’t sort out a resolution? I have been researching similar scenarios and depending what state you are in some people are saying you can keep it if the don’t reply with a resolution with 1-3 months?

Please keep in mind I live in a rural area. I have no shopfront store here that belongs to the company, we don’t have couriers only Aus Post. I have also moved from the previous address the company sent it to.

I wonder how this will pan out? I don’t need the phone, but it worth over $1000, so I wonder if they will just put it in the too hard basket and I will get to keep it. I have been fully compliant with their inquiries.

How long can I legally wait to gain ownership of the phone if they don’t sort out a resolution?
I don't think it works like that.

...having said that, someone I know had their card skimmed in South America, and the thief spent $2500 on it. Then the seller refunded the money AND the bank also refunded it. After six years of her trying to resolve it (i.e. return the second refund) the bank told her it had been so long they really didn't care any more. But good on you for fessing up. I'm pretty sure when they get their shit together they will send you a return satchel or label.

I don't think it works like that.

...having said that, someone I know had their card skimmed in South America, and the thief spent $2500 on it. Then the seller refunded the money AND the bank also refunded it. After six years of her trying to resolve it (i.e. return the second refund) the bank told her it had been so long they really didn't care any more. But good on you for fessing up. I'm pretty sure when they get their shit together they will send you a return satchel or label.

Well lucky her! Although, she is almost owed the money anyway as she had to go through such an ordeal contacting the bank to sort it out. A great result for her though!

Well update on this whole situation. Still no reply from the Telco. We are going on over two weeks now since notifying them about the phone. 🤔

Well lucky her! Although, she is almost owed the money anyway as she had to go through such an ordeal contacting the bank to sort it out. A great result for her though!

Well update on this whole situation. Still no reply from the Telco. We are going on over two weeks now since notifying them about the phone. 🤔
Excellent, you may end up getting to keep it at this rate!

I found $300 sticking out of an ATM as I walked past once. My sister told me "you have to take it into the bank", but I had a better idea. I took it to the police, who contacted the bank, who said there was no way they could tell whose money it was... so after a month or two the police told me to come and get it. If I'd taken it to the bank they'd have said "thanks very much" and it would have gone straight into their profit. Bugger that!

Excellent, you may end up getting to keep it at this rate!

I found $300 sticking out of an ATM as I walked past once. My sister told me "you have to take it into the bank", but I had a better idea. I took it to the police, who contacted the bank, who said there was no way they could tell whose money it was... so after a month or two the police told me to come and get it. If I'd taken it to the bank they'd have said "thanks very much" and it would have gone straight into their profit. Bugger that!

I found a $50 note in a puddle when I was at school, just inside the school gates. I'd never seen that much money before. So like a fool I backtracked and took it to a teacher, who thanked me and pocketed it. I don't remember there being any great quest to find the owner in the following days.

I found a $50 note in a puddle when I was at school, just inside the school gates. I'd never seen that much money before. So like a fool I backtracked and took it to a teacher, who thanked me and pocketed it. I don't remember there being any great quest to find the owner in the following days.

That bastard! 😝

Back