Skip to main content

Any relationships ever last outside the house?

Sheep

Awesome site donor
With the main gossip focused around Jade/Ed and Drew/Tully... can they ever even work?

It seems that the weeks/months following on from the show there is still a certain pressure that exists on the couples to try and make something work lest they annoy a nation of people who want to see a fairy tale ending. I watched last years but obviously those ones were just comfort pairings (Estelle/Ryan was never going to work and Josh/Ava was built on nothing but saliva).

Even other reality shows that exist to actually bring people together (eg. The Bachelor) don't ever really work. It seems like having a nation watching you in the early stages of your relationships adds too much pressure for anything genuine to come out of it.
It is like someone who is rushing to build a house so they cut corners; don't let the foundation set, skip a few nails and miss some measurements so the first serious storm brings the whole thing down and exposes it for all it really was: a pretty coat of paint.

Am I wrong? Have any successful relationships ever come out of a big brother?

Not in Australia. Although Susannah and Thomas lasted about 4 years which is pretty good. Jess & Marty did marry, but they were probably together in total less time than S & T. Some overseas ones have... I just can't recall who and from where.

Not in Australia. Although Susannah and Thomas lasted about 4 years which is pretty good. Jess & Marty did marry, but they were probably together in total less time than S & T. Some overseas ones have... I just can't recall who and from where.

Oh true, four years is a pretty successful relationship (by my standards at least HA!)

I think Aleisha and Billy lasted a while - just over 2 years.
Unlike the Bachelor and things like that I don't think people who hook up in Big Brother do so with the intent of finding their life partner anyway.
It's such a surreal environment - who meets someone and lives with them straight up? In the house you both essentially have the same lifestyle which you don't have the commonality outside.
It'd be hard to progress from that I'd think.
You'd pretty much have to start all over and get to know each other and your friends and hobbies and things you like to do and see if you're compatible all over again.

Yeah that os very true. I feel like a lot of viewers don't understand that life in the house is no where near the same as life outside the house. If I was in the house I would want a comfort relationship, but I would hate the pressure of keeping something going outside the house if I wasn't keen anymore. Ed will get a lot of hate if he doesn't give Jade a go - which I think is a bit unfair. There are only so many times you can say 'no' to a beautiful girl like Jade before your defence wears thin.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Billy and Aleisha. They were living together for at least a few years. Obviously 2007 was the season to find (relatively) lasting relationships. But they are surely the anomaly.

Oh true, four years is a pretty successful relationship (by my standards at least HA!)

Hehe, you and me both!

I think Aleisha and Billy lasted a while - just over 2 years.
Unlike the Bachelor and things like that I don't think people who hook up in Big Brother do so with the intent of finding their life partner anyway.
It's such a surreal environment - who meets someone and lives with them straight up? In the house you both essentially have the same lifestyle which you don't have the commonality outside.
It'd be hard to progress from that I'd think.
You'd pretty much have to start all over and get to know each other and your friends and hobbies and things you like to do and see if you're compatible all over again.

Good post. I don't think some people realise how easy it would be for them to have a relationship in the house compared to in the real world. They're in a situation where they have access to one another whenever they want, without other life matter interfering, without having many other people to steal their attention, etc. I'd imagine that finding compatibility in the house by talking and realising you have things in common is completely different to trying to make two different lives mesh on the outside.

Back