Skip to main content

2021 CASTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on the recent article posted about phone calls I thought I'd create a casting info thread. 40 minutes seems like a bloody long phone call so not sure if that info is correct? Can anyone confirm?
Just realised that article is about video Skype auditions not the initial phone call beforehand!😂
I think we all read it wrong?! So 40 minutes probably accurate.
So those that have had Skype auditions, did they say in person auditions have been scrapped this year due to COVID?

Last edited:
To anyone who has had a phone call, how long did it take after submitting your application before they called? Guessing the past week they may of had a bit of an influx of applicants seeing the window closed on friday afternoon.

To anyone who has had a phone call, how long did it take after submitting your application before they called? Guessing the past week they may of had a bit of an influx of applicants seeing the window closed on friday afternoon.
I put my application in at 2am Friday morning and got contacted by 2pm the same day so if I’m honest if you haven’t heard from them yet don’t hold out too much hope but you never know

I put my application in at 2am Friday morning and got contacted by 2pm the same day so if I’m honest if you haven’t heard from them yet don’t hold out too much hope but you never know
Cheers, yeah I figured it wouldn't take more than a couple days at most. Just holding slim hopes onto the last week rush! Haha
Good luck if you've gone through!!

Wonder if they are tackling certain states first as well, especially after hearing some in WA have already had skype interviews. Maybe they're hoping to find enough good talent to avoid bringing any victorians into the mix due to covid haha

So from what it sounds like to me, SA and WA applications are being prioritised as they are probably the first stops of the casting tour. Assuming East coast states will be contacted possibly 1-2 weeks from now? Interesting that Skypes are occuring as they didn't last year I don't think.

So from what it sounds like to me, SA and WA applications are being prioritised as they are probably the first stops of the casting tour. Assuming East coast states will be contacted possibly 1-2 weeks from now? Interesting that Skypes are occuring as they didn't last year I don't think.
Yeah hopefully the case, and would make sense as well. Especially with Vic unknown how long until lockdown will end too, even though its pretty much guaranteed all those getting interviews will be on skype anyway.

Just thinking though, application said 1 (maybe 2) interviews between Aug 17th-Sep 8th (next 3 weeks). Now, wondering if that is 2 video calls, so phone calls would of all been made, or are they including the calls in that, and one-on-one interviews with producers taking place post Sept 8th? Because im thinking, 53k applied last year, there could be 60-70k this year, and in an environment where in person interviews cant take place theyve had to spread it out much more to cover everyone, plus if applicants exceeded expectations then they may have had to rejig plans a bit as well, including starting earlier in some states.

All just speculation of course, but interesting none the less.

Yeah hopefully the case, and would make sense as well. Especially with Vic unknown how long until lockdown will end too, even though its pretty much guaranteed all those getting interviews will be on skype anyway.

Just thinking though, application said 1 (maybe 2) interviews between Aug 17th-Sep 8th (next 3 weeks). Now, wondering if that is 2 video calls, so phone calls would of all been made, or are they including the calls in that, and one-on-one interviews with producers taking place post Sept 8th? Because im thinking, 53k applied last year, there could be 60-70k this year, and in an environment where in person interviews cant take place theyve had to spread it out much more to cover everyone, plus if applicants exceeded expectations then they may have had to rejig plans a bit as well, including starting earlier in some states.

All just speculation of course, but interesting none the less.
Yes last year they did initial call
Then invited to lives
Pass the first day then second day was a one on one with producers
Was a bit crap the first day waiting around most of the time
Second day was a 40 min one on one with producers wasted my time and theirs .
This year it’s been
Initial call
Then Skype
I would hazard a guess the next would either bee a one on one with producers or another Skype with producers
Had credible info that some from last year that had a one on one with producers that didn’t apply were contacted to see if they were still interested.
Knowing this I speculate that lives will not eventuate

Had credible info that some from last year that had a one on one with producers that didn’t apply were contacted to see if they were still interested
Good grief. The cast was bad enough, and now they're looking at their rejects for the next season? Does not instill hope.

Yes last year they did initial call
Then invited to lives
Pass the first day then second day was a one on one with producers
Was a bit crap the first day waiting around most of the time
Second day was a 40 min one on one with producers wasted my time and theirs .
This year it’s been
Initial call
Then Skype
I would hazard a guess the next would either bee a one on one with producers or another Skype with producers
Had credible info that some from last year that had a one on one with producers that didn’t apply were contacted to see if they were still interested.
Knowing this I speculate that lives will not eventuate
What kids of stuff did you do in the group auditions?

Would be good to see Seven and the producers make some diversity pledges on the casting of this in a similar way to BB Canada have - though to be fair to BB Canada they've always done more than just stuck in a couple of token houseguests as we see in the US.

Historically Australia has even struggled to manage that but to be fair to Seven their casting this year was much broader than we've seen previously, so hopefully they use that as a base and continue to make improvements.

to be fair to Seven their casting this year was much broader than we've seen previously
I give them 10/10 for age range, but 3/10 for ethnic diversity. They really need to try harder on that. Much harder. If they can't do it, hand the whole show over to SBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back