Skip to main content

2020 Ratings Thread

If viewers surf channels during the ads or during the flashback sequence then they are not listed, is that correct?

I could never lend myself to a ratings box because for me a pause button is essential. Sometimes can’t deal with sitting through ads.

A little disappointed at the overall numbers, purely because all they say to me is that we’ll get the same, repetitive, contrived show we received this year again until they drop. Unfortunately Amelia and Seven are unlikely to reinvent the wheel if they believe this season was a “huge ratings success“ - which it was.

Oh well.

A little disappointed at the overall numbers, purely because all they say to me is that we’ll get the same, repetitive, contrived show we received this year again until they drop. Unfortunately Amelia and Seven are unlikely to reinvent the wheel if they believe this season was a “huge ratings success“ - which it was.

Oh well.

I wouldn't say it was a huge success. Maybe for 7 because most of their shows failed to fire this year. But I would classify shows like MAFS, Lego Masters and Masterchef as huge successes as they averaged around 1 million viewers and were also big amongst all demos.

I wouldn't say it was a huge success. Maybe for 7 because most of their shows failed to fire this year. But I would classify shows like MAFS, Lego Masters and Masterchef as huge successes as they averaged around 1 million viewers and were also big amongst all demos.
Oh definitely. I think I just mean in terms of their expectations and view of how the season went, based on quotes and comments in various articles. They seem more than thrilled with what they delivered and the number of viewers it received, and knowing what Seven are usually like with their programming it just doesn’t fill me with much hope for next season.

I just think its huge itself that it improved on 2014. Of course 2014 was on late was just a disaster, but 6 years later with different streaming services and also to add that the show has a bad rep here in Australia that it hasn't been able to shake off for years. The fact it found a stable audience and that it's lowest number wasn't even close to a low 600,000 is impressive. It did well consistently and with time shifted viewers its average is well over 800,000. The finale numbers are a bit of a shock to me, I honestly thought it would at least come somewhat close to 1 million. But seven won the night and it was the highest rating show at 7:30 so really could anyone really ask for more? The result did what it needed to do for them and I'm sure they're satisfied with the ratings where the literal only change we're probably going to see is a longer series and thats probably as much feedback that they'll take on board.

The finale numbers are a bit of a shock to me, I honestly thought it would at least come somewhat close to 1 million
Didn't come as a surprise. It had failed to build any momentum at all in the second half of the season where you might expect it to.

That's why I reduced my tips from 850k/900k to 804k/816k. @BB Daze only just pipped me by tipping 800k, and if I'd held on to my higher 900k tip for Winner Announced, I'd have been closest that one. Serves me right for being overly pessimistic, but the numbers were such a flat line it seemed only a hard core of fans was sticking with it. Which is probably actually true. Just some time-shifting viewers decided to watch the end live to avoid spoilers I guess.

I just think its huge itself that it improved on 2014. Of course 2014 was on late was just a disaster, but 6 years later with different streaming services and also to add that the show has a bad rep here in Australia that it hasn't been able to shake off for years. The fact it found a stable audience and that it's lowest number wasn't even close to a low 600,000 is impressive. It did well consistently and with time shifted viewers its average is well over 800,000. The finale numbers are a bit of a shock to me, I honestly thought it would at least come somewhat close to 1 million. But seven won the night and it was the highest rating show at 7:30 so really could anyone really ask for more? The result did what it needed to do for them and I'm sure they're satisfied with the ratings where the literal only change we're probably going to see is a longer series and thats probably as much feedback that they'll take on board.

It has to be said though that even with the BB finale, 7's main channel only beat 9 by 1.9% and BIP beat the finale in the 16-39 demo. If I was 7 I wouldn't be overly satisfied with that result and would be looking to improve on it for next year.

I guess we won't be able to compare "early" VOD views across the season, in combination with Live FTA views ?

No surprise the penultime "Grand Final Decider" rated better - that was the show that had all the action in. The final was just an hour of talking to people no longer relevant to the show.

Downhill one would expect. Depends on what Ten and Nine manage to get in the can for February. Wouldn't be surprised that if Survivor can't film this year (and it seems unlikely) that if they can go ahead with I'm a Celeb (perhaps on the UK site in Australia) that might get pushed back in season rather than airing in January. Nine I'm sure are doing everything they can to have Married at a safe social distance into production

Last edited:
Downhill one would expect. Depends on what Ten and Nine manage to get in the can for February. Wouldn't be surprised that if Survivor can't film this year (and it seems unlikely) that if they can go ahead with I'm a Celeb (perhaps on the UK site in Australia) that might get pushed back in season rather than airing in January. Nine I'm sure are doing everything they can to have Married at a safe social distance into production

Fiji is another option...

With consolidated viewers the total average for the series is 827,000. 27% increase from 2014, despite the different time slot and ratings quarter, pretty impressive that it overall increased. I overall think its quite impressive it didn't once have an episode rate under 700,000 with consolidation.

Back