Skip to main content

2020 Ratings Thread

I'm actually enjoying it, personally I think it would be a lot better if it was live with one eviction per week and a bit more content shown regarding the housemates interacting and getting to know each other. Overall as a show it's enjoyable.

Iā€™m impressed considering how much of a BB purest I know you are...

Iā€™m impressed considering how much of a BB purest I know you are...

I was definitely not happy when this was initially announced, my biggest fear was that it would be 90 minute episodes of constant strategy. 3 episodes in and I'm loving it. I do wish however that it was live across multiple nights in the week rather than just Sun-Tue. But hey beggars can't really be choosers and we got the show back, I'm happy to embrace the change.

I was definitely not happy when this was initially announced, my biggest fear was that it would be 90 minute episodes of constant strategy. 3 episodes in and I'm loving it. I do wish however that it was live across multiple nights in the week rather than just Sun-Tue. But hey beggars can't really be choosers and we got the show back, I'm happy to embrace the change.

I agree... Itā€™s been refreshing thatā€™s for sure. BBUS/BBCAN tend to get very cutthroat right from the start so this is a nice change. Weā€™ve still got HMā€™s playing but weā€™re also getting interactions outside the game. That said I donā€™t know how Iā€™ll feel in a few weeks if things donā€™t start progressing. I feel like the dullards are taking over and anyone with a remote chance of doing well is being voted out. I want to see a hard fought game to the finish... Not just a group coasting through to the end.

I . That said I donā€™t know how Iā€™ll feel in a few weeks if things donā€™t start progressing.d.
Intreresting.. Whats your gut feel on how it will progress? As in heavy preferred editing of certain housemates? Thrusting preferred contestants with good edits? Or just general bad production values?

Intreresting.. Whats your gut feel on how it will progress? As in heavy preferred editing of certain housemates? Thrusting preferred contestants with good edits? Or just general bad production values?

I fear a string of extremely predictable evictions targeting anyone seen as ā€œplaying the gameā€... Iā€™m alright with character driven storylines as long as theyā€™re relevant. Like yesterday I felt the Kieran heavy story was fairly relevant. As for production Iā€™m trying to be constructive in my criticism... This is obviously a first with something relatively new. Iā€™m willing to let things slide as long as things improve moving forward.

I felt the Kieran heavy story was fairly relevant.
Not an antagonistic question, im genuinely interested, how did you find it relevant?
I find, perhaps shallowly, the skewed spotlight on him seems to be a production device to further him.

I agree... Itā€™s been refreshing thatā€™s for sure. BBUS/BBCAN tend to get very cutthroat right from the start so this is a nice change. Weā€™ve still got HMā€™s playing but weā€™re also getting interactions outside the game. That said I donā€™t know how Iā€™ll feel in a few weeks if things donā€™t start progressing. I feel like the dullards are taking over and anyone with a remote chance of doing well is being voted out. I want to see a hard fought game to the finish... Not just a group coasting through to the end.

The change is good, in some ways at least now every housemate has a chance to win. i.e they can each possibly win a challenge and be safe, compared to the old show which essentially was a 12 week long popularity contest where realistically only 3-5 people at the absolute most were in contention to win. I also do agree I would like to see some less predictable outcomes. However the same thing happened on Australian Survivor 2016, the concept was obviously quite new and untouched to Australians so they weren't exactly playing as hard as possible, but then fast forward 4 seasons and the gameplay is improving. I think this season is more like a test run for the format for future seasons. However I do also feel that the popularity of Survivor in Australia for the past 3 seasons has really opened up viewers to strategy to be used in Big Brother, myself included. If you asked me 5 years ago if I'd like Big Brother to turn into BBUS I would have dismissed the idea straight away (evidently past discussions saw me do this specifically), however now that I have watched Australian Survivor and even so now all 40 seasons of the US it has opened me up to be willing to see strategy involved with Big Brother. Endemolshine and 7 have so far done a pretty good job of mixing both formats of Big Brother together. And its no surprise to me and also great to see 800,000+ people watched over the first 2 nights. I hope it continues to rate well, I do wish the new format to do well because at the end of the day its a group of people in a house being filmed and we will eventually vote for the winner so it technically still is Big Brother.

Not an antagonistic question, im genuinely interested, how did you find it relevant?
I find, perhaps shallowly, the skewed spotlight on him seems to be a production device to further him.

Iā€™m not sure how itā€™s not... His story yesterday was his reaction to having been nominated in back to back evictions and working to ensure he stays again. I donā€™t disagree that it was probably more prominent in the episode than it needed to be but I fail to see how itā€™s producer manipulation. Given weā€™re only 3 cycles in and the game has just started itā€™s hard to say theyā€™re setting anything up at this point. Who knows what will happen from here? At very least the story was far more relevant than it had been in the previous episode having been handed a secret task.

At this point there are too many people in the house for a 90 minute storyline. I think it speaks more to the producers choosing to put in 20 HMā€™s rather than focusing on a core group than it does anything else.

I think the show has certainly improved and picked up from night one, my worry is that people would have watched a little bit of the launch and be stubborn and ruled out the show completely.

Hopefully it doesnā€™t dip below 700k mark, if it manages to stay above Iā€™d consider the show a success. Iā€™m hoping figures will rise since the series is getting better.

When was the new ratings system beginning ? Was it 1 July ?

The new system takes all platforms into account, IIRC.

Even if it rates at 600,000 that won't even be alarming. Its holding up in the Demos which is what really matters. I read somewhere that Seven is predicting a 640,000 average for the series. As long as it either matches that or can hover around the 700,000 figure Seven will see it as a success. It won't beat Masterchef and that is just a given, Masterchef is probably the MAFS of this time of the year. If Big Brother can beat the voice and at least come second in its time slot then its all sweet.

If it wasnā€™t for covid, I think Masterchef and the voice wouldā€™ve flopped this year tbh. Itā€™d be interesting to see these shows compete potentially next year.

Back