Skip to main content

2020 Ratings Thread

Sorry you are right. It's from next week that Masterchef will only be on Sunday to Tuesday. 7 should have just left BB scheduled as Monday to Wednesday instead of also going Sunday to Tuesday.

Looks like 7 will be keen to keep the seasons coming at this rate. But still hoping they’ll bring in some live element and more adult content. Doubtful though - Will likely take the “if it ain’t broke” view.

7 have invested a lot in BBAU and I think they will renew it to see how they can iron out this year’s creases (e.g poor casting)
The casting isn't too bad, it's more they need to show us the HM's a little more. I think make it live, and they've got an absolute winner.
Launch Night: Monday 8th June 2020
Overnight total viewers:
Arrival: (8) 853,000
Main show: (6) 866,000
Eviction: (5) 930,000
It's actually better then I'd expected.

Looks like 7 will be keen to keep the seasons coming at this rate. But still hoping they’ll bring in some live element and more adult content. Doubtful though - Will likely take the “if it ain’t broke” view.
To be honest, I will be very surprised if they don't pull out an All-Stars next year. Maybe even as a companion to a regular season.

I imagine it'd be a very clever way for Seven to attract numbers - the typical Australian viewer will tune in to see their "old favourites" back onscreen (at least those who'd do it - I'm talking the likes of Reggie, maybe even Tim BB10) and the show could market it as these HMs trying out and surviving this version of BB's house. Some have expressed interest online, and honestly a few are probably better suited to it (Paul Dyer would be epic!). Not to mention it'll the 20-year anniversary of the very first BBAU!

Now that Seven will have one season of this new format under their belt, people will be familiar with the gameplay and feel more comfortable about it with each additional season. With Seven's other RTV down the drain, I'm sure they're already in very early talks for a Season 13 regardless.

Last edited:
Good numbers - keen to see how 7 plans to maintain viewership going forward since there won't be any more new housemates coming in after tonight.

Good to see Aussies are embracing the new format... I’ve been saying for years now that adapting the American format was the route to go should there be another revival. Obviously a pre-recorded format isn’t ideal but I’m amazed at the positive feedback and constructive criticism I’ve read. My biggest fear was a forum full of people slamming the show.

To be honest, I will be very surprised if they don't pull out an All-Stars next year. Maybe even as a companion to a regular season.

I imagine it'd be a very clever way for Seven to attract numbers - the typical Australian viewer will tune in to see their "old favourites" back onscreen (at least those who'd do it - I'm talking the likes of Reggie, maybe even Tim BB10) and the show could market it as these HMs trying out and surviving this version of BB's house. Some have expressed interest online, and honestly a few are probably better suited to it (Paul Dyer would be epic!). Not to mention it'll the 20-year anniversary of the very first BBAU!

Now that Seven will have one season of this new format under their belt, people will be familiar with the gameplay and feel more comfortable about it with each additional season. With Seven's other RTV down the drain, I'm sure they're already in very early talks for a Season 13 regardless.

Do you think they will have given the new format time to breathe though if they immediately introduce an All Stars next year?

I’d assume year after next if anything.

Do you think they will have given the new format time to breathe though if they immediately introduce an All Stars next year?

Why wait when the entire point is to give those from the previous format a chance at something new?

Dare I say they might go down the celebrity route? Survivor casting minor celebrities has clearly demonstrated there’s a market for it. If the ratings maintain on the current season I can only imagine there would be an increase for a celebrity edition.

Endemol was interested in reviving CBBAU a few years ago with Nine, Seven seems to be winding back on BBL and leaving most of their games for Foxtel and 7Mate - I’m convinced they’re going to try conceiving a “summer series” of Big Brother to compete against I’m a Celeb if they’re just leaving the complex like that as is - what happens to the compound after finale will tell all.

Also Sonia as a narrator sounds so much like the nasal bitch that narrates MAFS

I think a All Stars could be good. Particularly, as a companion (even if it is just a short run). If they did go down the All Stars route, I wonder if it would be 100% All Stars or half ex housemates and half new housemates

If they do all stars, they need to not go down the Drag Race route of all stars every year. Don’t beat the format dead just as you’ve revived it, I still think next year would be too soon for BB all stars unless it consists of 90% C9/C10 iteration housemates and 10% 2020 housemates - we need Laura back.

There’s tea that this upcoming series of MAFS is all stars being paired with “celebrities” so maybe Endemol Shine are getting all their All Stars series out of the way now? Survivor to Masterchef to Mafs to Big Brother, it sounds likely!

There’s tea that this upcoming series of MAFS is all stars being paired with “celebrities” so maybe Endemol Shine are getting all their All Stars series out of the way now? Survivor to Masterchef to Mafs to Big Brother, it sounds likely!
I agree - it seems to be the trend at the moment, but also an almost guaranteed way to attract viewers.

If this season holds up, a celeb season is inevitable, especially with 7 having a pool of 'celebs' from its range of programming like MKR, House Rules, Sunrise, Home & Away etc. I could only imagine the network would love the amount of cross-promotion available with its slate of programming and sports like the AFL, as well as promoting that the series is for charity. A celeb season would be more compatible with a shorter season and following the current format of an eviction each episode, considering the public would be more familiar with the celebrities.

However, with the 'regular' season, I still think a smaller cast w/ one weekly eviction would work better though. An eviction each episode means the public are less invested in the cast and don't get to know who the housemates are.

Good to see Aussies are embracing the new format... I’ve been saying for years now that adapting the American format was the route to go should there be another revival. Obviously a pre-recorded format isn’t ideal but I’m amazed at the positive feedback and constructive criticism I’ve read. My biggest fear was a forum full of people slamming the show.

I'm actually enjoying it, personally I think it would be a lot better if it was live with one eviction per week and a bit more content shown regarding the housemates interacting and getting to know each other. Overall as a show it's enjoyable.

I don’t think it would be a good idea for them to do a celeb version because then it would be a case like UK where no one really cared about the civilian one and the celeb was the main thing and then eventually the whole show collapsed.

Which former housemates would suit this format do you think? Tim Dormer is an obvious one having already competed well in the Canadian version. I agree with Paul Dyer and I think Tim Brunero would also be great in this format.

Which former housemates would suit this format do you think? Tim Dormer is an obvious one having already competed well in the Canadian version. I agree with Paul Dyer and I think Tim Brunero would also be great in this format.
Hold that thought. I think I'll start a thread for this in a few weeks...;)

Back