Skip to main content

2017 - 2018 Media Articles

This doesn't really relate... But Aunty Gretel is playing on the Australian team in an ANZAC edition of All Star Family Feud in NZ tonight.

More reason to bring back BB!

Youth-orientated Network 10 learn youth don’t watch television after posting $232m loss

networkcuck.jpg

27 April, 2017. 17:23

ERROL PARKER | Editor-at-large | Contact

One of the nation’s leading sources of left-wing bias is said to be teetering on the brink of collapse this evening as investors scatter and advertiser confidence reaches all-time lows.

Channel 10’s reputation for being Australia’s youth-orientated commercial television station is being blamed for the network’s disastrous $232 million loss in the six months to February as current trends have seen young people tuning out in droves.

“Well, it seems like Millennials don’t watch television anymore,” said one senior Ten executive.

“We might need to restructure, you know. Get some shock jocks in here. But yeah, we’ve really shit the bed on this occasion. We don’t really know why young people don’t watch television, either. I thought the youth loved The Project and cooking shows. I mean, fuck me dead? What more could you want?”

The Advocate reached out to a number of Ten personalities after receiving their unsolicited resumes, but none are willing to comment further on the financial situation the network is facing.

More to come.

(http://www.betootaadvocate.com/unca...outh-dont-watch-television-posting-232m-loss/)

More reason to bring back BB!

Youth-orientated Network 10 learn youth don’t watch television after posting $232m loss

networkcuck.jpg

27 April, 2017. 17:23

ERROL PARKER | Editor-at-large | Contact

One of the nation’s leading sources of left-wing bias is said to be teetering on the brink of collapse this evening as investors scatter and advertiser confidence reaches all-time lows.

Channel 10’s reputation for being Australia’s youth-orientated commercial television station is being blamed for the network’s disastrous $232 million loss in the six months to February as current trends have seen young people tuning out in droves.

“Well, it seems like Millennials don’t watch television anymore,” said one senior Ten executive.

“We might need to restructure, you know. Get some shock jocks in here. But yeah, we’ve really shit the bed on this occasion. We don’t really know why young people don’t watch television, either. I thought the youth loved The Project and cooking shows. I mean, fuck me dead? What more could you want?”

The Advocate reached out to a number of Ten personalities after receiving their unsolicited resumes, but none are willing to comment further on the financial situation the network is facing.

More to come.

(http://www.betootaadvocate.com/unca...outh-dont-watch-television-posting-232m-loss/)

This next generation are not watching FTA. Nearly everyone I know under 20 can't be bothered with it. They are either getting their shows through the streaming services and most likely to binge watch entire seasons at a time instead of sitting through a regular time slot and through commercials.

And when you look at FTA in the current landscape there isn't really anything that would appeal to this generation. The internet has much more interest to them. I can only name three FTA shows I know people under 20 watch: The Bachelor, Australian Survivor and Family Feud occasionally.

A BB revival would probably appeal to the demographic 25-48. They would be people who grew up and remember the earlier years on Channel Ten. If they brought the show back to basics and the good elements of the original they could get a decent number of people watching every night and get advertising for that demographic. I also think some kind of streaming live or a few moments delayed from the house needs to happen so people can get the full 24/7 experience of Big Brother and it would create buzz on Social Media getting young people interested.

Investors jumped ship yesterday on the news of the loss - TEN stock price lost 25% yesterday. :eek:

Well, it's 2018 now.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/02/nostalgia-week-mike-goldman.html

Nostalgia Week: Mike Goldman
February 1st, 2018 By David Knox Filed under: News, Top Stories, Video,

EXCLUSIVE: He is the only person who has worked on every Big Brother series from 2001 – 2013, yet despite his clear loyalty, Mike Goldman was divided over whether to look back on the show for TV Tonight.

“It’s been a love / hate relationship because I’ve been on the edge of hosting big shows but at the last minute execs say ‘You are still too Big Brother, we can’t use you,'” he reveals.

“But I’m not like Melissa George who won’t talk about Home & Away! I love talking about history. At one point I was hosting more Live Television than anyone else in Australia.”

Goldman started out as the voice-over guy for the reality show when it boldly started on TEN. But he would go on to span multiple roles, including audience warm-up, Up Lateeditions and Friday Night Live.

“The warm-up guy fell through at the last minute and I had done a few shows likeGladiators. They were desperate, so they threw me on and it went really well.”

In the 2000-strong Dreamworld amphitheatre he worked the crowd before Live eliminations hosted by Great

“It was like doing a one-hour show,” he recalls. “I was getting dressed up, playing songs on the guitar, stand-up, pulling kids out of the crowd for Best Dressed competitions -which became incorporated into the show.”

“We had no idea anybody would be watching”

The first series was a pop culture hit for TEN with original housemates such as Sara-Marie, Blair & Ben proving so popular with viewers, they became pop culture stars. It was Truman Show proportions with housemates staggered by their instant fame.

“They still say ‘We had no idea anybody would be watching. We thought it was the most boring load of crap!’”

Others would follow including a soapie-like romance between Marty & Jess, and gal pals Reggie Bird & Chrissie Swan, notably going up against “Bully Ben” in the true-life storylines.

“They never chose housemates that people would 100% love. In the auditions if everybody loved a housemate they were not automatically in. You were more likely to get in if half the people loved you and half hated you.”

Merlin Luck’s “Free the Refugees” protest became TV history whilst “Farmer” David Graham’s coming out on primetime TV triggered an emotional reaction.

“Farmer Dave was an amazing moment. There were a lot of gay people working on the show and there wasn’t a dry eye in the house. We were so supportive of him in every way. When you are on a show that big in popular culture, it changes peoples’ lives when you see someone else sharing their feelings and emotions,” Goldman recalls.

Aside from the “dancing doona” moment, did housemates have sex whilst in the BBhouse?

“I didn’t really see any of it,” Goldman reveals.

“You would be watching the streams late at night at work and someone would pull the sheets off and be entertaining themselves! You would have to look away!

“Yes people had sex, for sure. I can’t remember exactly who.

“And people would sneak into the toilet to have a conversation about who to vote out, thinking they were not on camera.

“There were people trying to skydive into the house, and ice-cream companies trying to drop ice-creams from a helicopter into the pool.”

“Big Brother is not family friendly”

But the most notorious moment, a “turkey slap” by two male housemates thrust upon a female may not have made it to air (seen only by a small audience online) but it ricocheted around the country, all the way to Canberra.

“It was amplified by Seven and Nine on Today Tonight & A Current Affair, who showed it to millions of people. So who is to blame?” he asks.

“John Howard said ‘Get that stupid show off the air.’ That became a reason to watch it! I was always of the mind that any publicity is great publicity. But there were conservative people working on the show who wanted to make it ‘family friendly.’

“Big Brother is not family friendly. If you look at all the other countries around the world, it is played late at night. So when you have people wanting to turn it into a family show at 7:00 … we can do it, but you still have the naughty side.”

[there's an old clip in here that's vanished in my post]

The ‘naughty side’ was largely confined to Big Brother Up Late, a free-wheeling, sometimes risqué Live feed hosted by Goldman, with quizzes & viewer calls. Goldman was hosting unscripted, marathon viewing in the late hours of the night.

“I remember speaking to Peter Abbott who was executive producer and voice of BB. I said, ‘Thanks for the opportunity to host Big Brother Up Late‘ and he said ‘What’s Big Brother Up Late?’

“It started with me in a room all alone, with no cameraman, linked to a truck out the back,” he continues.

“They couldn’t film the housemates because they might be talking about people on the outside, or something illegal, or having sex, so they would just cut to me.

“It was so random. The runner would walk in while I was mid-conversation and say ‘Mike do you want some food from the BP?’ and I’m like, ‘No I’m talking on the TV right now!’

“The set caught fire and I ran in and had to stomp it out with my foot, but the director was abusing me to get out of the way, because I could die!”

“I was always I trouble for saying something accidental”

Such was the unpredictability of the show it could also be bedlam behind the scenes.

“The way the publicists would hover around your phone calls back then. They were like the CIA. ‘Don’t say this! Don’t say that!’ I was always I trouble for saying something accidental,” he admits.

“I was hosting BB Up Late and a housemate wanted to leave and I said ‘Let’s cut back to him’ and a producer came storming in yelling, ‘You can’t talk about him, what are you doing?’ What am I supposed to say….?

“I think sometimes people came from other worlds of Television where they could control everything. But on BB they became stressed-out wrecks!”

At one point Nine even called on Goldman to audition for its own late night quiz show.

“I said ‘Do I have to audition, I’m still doing Up Late at the moment and I would have to fly down from Queensland when you can just watch me hosting?’

“And they said ‘That’s a little bit arrogant isn’t it?’” he laughs.

Goldman’s enthusiasm, and audience interaction, led to an envious following from die-hard fans. It followed with Friday Night Live games, alongside former housemates, Ryan ‘Fitzy’ Fitzgerald and Bree Amer.

“Let’s get BB to become a comedy series”

After TEN abandoned Big Brother, Nine revived it for a family-friendly revival for 3 seasons but with Sonia Kruger as host instead of Gretel Killeen (the final TEN season was hosted by Kyle & Jackie O).

“It was sad to see Gretel go because she had such great recognition. If it came back to TEN she would be the perfect host! Sonia was everybody’s pal on set, an incredible talent who love bed working on the show,” he insists.

“Nine lost Two and a Half Men and said ‘Let’s get BB to become a comedy series’ which we did, successfully, until they wanted more fighting and drama. And the timeslot (moved) from 7:00, 8:30, for an hour or half an hour -it was all over the shop.”

Goldman is of the view that the Live feeds and racier content are integral to the brand.

“Now that Nine are doing Love Island that’s pretty much the naughty element of BB.Unless they try and tame it down,” he suggests.

In addition to narrating Meerkat Manor, Goldman’s CV includes corporate work, radio, corporate work, dabbling in acting (Hoges, Robot 4), running the Sanctuary Cove Film Festival and filming docos (Shooting Goldman) with AFTRS students. He will be MC atCommonwealth Games beach volleyball, and narrating new titles for Nat Geo & Discovery.

But while he is hoping another exec will give him another shot at presenting, he is still a big fan of Big Brother.

“I still get messages every day on social media asking when the show is coming back?” he explains.

“People in the industry are in agreeance that there is still nothing like it on Television. In this day and age it’s so much more viable. Facebook wasn’t even around when BBstarted. Now you can get so much more content when people are hungry for it.”

So are there any whispers of a revival at all?

“Not that I know of. I would be the last person to find out!” he laughs.

Well, it's 2018 now.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/02/nostalgia-week-mike-goldman.html

Nostalgia Week: Mike Goldman
February 1st, 2018 By David Knox Filed under: News, Top Stories, Video,

In some respects Mike is right... Nine really dropped the ball with their revival... But the idea that BB can't compete with other online content is ridiculous... BBUS is one of the most successful BB brands in the world due to the unprecedented level of online content the show provides... In fact they built an entire series of the show specifically for an online audience...

Wow so people did actually have sex in the house... I bet it happened on the Channel 9 series though with the housemates knowing the adult stuff would never get mentioned and aired.

Back