Skip to main content

BBUK returns Sun 8 Oct 2023 (and Celeb BB back in 2024)

They probably could have run the trailer at the end of this series of Love Island with it not debuting till the autumn, but then originally it was supposed to air in the Spring - although you'd think they'd have got the house location sorted before confirming that.

Sucks they lose the buzz from announcing it too early, but what’s another few months anyway when it’s been off air for so long?

Better to get it right than a shitty rushed product.

ITV chief Kevin Lygo has said the upcoming reboot will be "interesting, intelligent, upmarket" as the company spoke to the media in the wake of their annual financial results and that the aim is to recapture the "golden period" of the early C4 years. Hopefully they can get close, though I think no mention of a live feed yet means no live feed.

Last edited:
When I think “golden period” I think BB5 - BB7 and I’m not really sure I’d consider that period was particularly upmarket or intelligent. I mean taking the Channel 5 era in to consideration it definitely appears to be but isolated on its own I’m not so sure.

I guess everyone will have different ideas of when the "golden period" was - I think he's referring to BB1-4 as in BB in it's purest form. Whether that works a couple of decades on, considering it arguably didn't work four series in (although BB4 is the 3rd or 4th highest rated series I think), remains to be seen. I think other formats do show that trusting a solid format and keeping twists within that format, rather than twisting the format, can work.

I think really the show has to stick to their guns with their first series - it needs to be a reset, so if fans complain it's boring or predictable they need to avoid hitting that panic button. They almost have to right it off as a pilot series as keeping it simple will lay solid foundations for the series ahead - but if they throw in too much too soon it'll be on rocky ground from day one and soon begin to crumble.

I guess everyone will have different ideas of when the "golden period" was - I think he's referring to BB1-4 as in BB in it's purest form. Whether that works a couple of decades on, considering it arguably didn't work four series in (although BB4 is the 3rd or 4th highest rated series I think), remains to be seen. I think other formats do show that trusting a solid format and keeping twists within that format, rather than twisting the format, can work.

I think really the show has to stick to their guns with their first series - it needs to be a reset, so if fans complain it's boring or predictable they need to avoid hitting that panic button. They almost have to right it off as a pilot series as keeping it simple will lay solid foundations for the series ahead - but if they throw in too much too soon it'll be on rocky ground from day one and soon begin to crumble.
I guess I just disagree with the terminology used and it necessarily the direction they want to go in.

I don’t think BB has ever really been upmarket or overly intelligent. BB3 is the highest rated of the series where the most talked about character was at one point branded a pig by the media and was known for being thick AF.

Everything else you’ve said I 100% agree with…

I would infer that by "intelligent" he means bringing back the psychological experiment aspect. There was always a degree of trash tv, but in the early series there was an effort to make Big Brother slightly highbrow, for instance with the inclusion of psychologists (credible or not) to analyse housemates' behaviours on some episodes.

"Upmarket," I have no idea what he's talking about there. Maybe they are trying to appeal more to millennials than gen z? The target audience for series 1 was intended to be a little older than it eventually became.

Worth noting these comments were likely aimed at advertisers rather than fans who'll pay more if they think it is a more upmarket audience watching.

God I hope the fact Rylan Clark has left Strictly Come Dancing's "It Takes Two" side show isn't so that he can have some involvement with Big Brother when it returns... 🤮🤮🤮🤮

He has denied that but I do think this would be the Emma Willis situation all over again - if they get someone else in chances are they'd revert to the obvious choice a couple of years later. Rylan is 100 times a better presenter than he was a decade ago too, and same with AJ too.

Channel 4 seem to be going through a "yes, we really didn't want Big Brother back phase" with three major new formats in pretty much as many weeks.

Rise and Fall is basically the Rich/Poor concept. It's kind of flopped, but essentially had Grafters and Rulers, with Grafters basically doing tasks to earn money for the jackpot which one ruler will win, with numerous votes to send people from the workhouse to the penthouse and vice versa.

Then there was Tempting Fortune - an 18 day trek in South Africa with a £300k prize to split between those that finish - but along the way temptations at a high cost (£3000 for a bed, £400 for a coffee etc). That was quite good, and for once a new reality show didn't feel the need to throw in every possible twist in their first series.

And debuting now and airing for five nights this week is Scared of the Dark - basically Big Brother during a cost of living crisis when producer can't afford the lighting. It's the closest thing to Celeb BB that C4 have had in years and half an hour in is brilliant. It's got a strong cast too - only weakened by a random Love Islander who seemingly has been cast for being absolutely terrified of the dark.

AJ Odudu and Will Best to co-host according to The Sun, though denied by ITV.

AJ Odudu and Will Best to co-host according to The Sun, though denied by ITV.

I’m not ready to believe the show is actually going with a dual presenting role. I think it’s more likely AJ will present the live show with Will on the side show. Also possible that AJ might also fill double duty the same way Emma did with BBOTS for a few series. I could be wrong but I definitely think there’s a good possibility that the rumour is misinterpreting what they mean by both people presenting.

Which would be a shame - a new approach would make it feel much fresher. Really don't think a daily spin-off is needed in 2023 - content needs to be from what is happening in the house, not people talking about what might be happening in the house.

AJ and Will have been confirmed this morning, with them both hosting the main show and the (IMO unnecessary) daily spin-off. However for all the talk from ITV about it being a fresh approach looks like it'll be dead on arrival as they're reportedly bringing back Marcus to narrate as well.

I really hope this UK revival is a spectacular success and gives Australia the massive wake up call it desperately needs to going back live and to the original format. Show us how BB is supposed to be done Britain! 👏

AJ and Will have been confirmed this morning, with them both hosting the main show and the (IMO unnecessary) daily spin-off. However for all the talk from ITV about it being a fresh approach looks like it'll be dead on arrival as they're reportedly bringing back Marcus to narrate as well.
I see the dual host gimmick being quickly changed/reduced.

As for Marcus for as much as I find him annoying he won’t stop me from watching.

Also note that Tamsin Dodgson is the new creative director. She previously held the executive editor position for the final three series on Channel 5.

Back