Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada - Season 11

It’s a mix of people not realizing how little control production have over the show and the fact that she’s literally the face of BBCAN. Her blocking people at this point is the same as Gretel tearing a strip off Michael for saying the show was unfairly edited.
Is Arisa actually going on a blocking spree? I'm taking it with a grain of salt right now based on who reported that on twitter. And if she did, it could be that she blocked people who shared their feedback with aggression or abuse. I won't jump to conclusions on that until I see more.

Is Arisa actually going on a blocking spree? I'm taking it with a grain of salt right now based on who reported that on twitter. And if she did, it could be that she blocked people who shared their feedback with aggression or abuse. I won't jump to conclusions on that until I see more.
I don’t know who was blocked or what was said but based on my post from earlier today it appears she has in fact started blocking people. Also based on what I’ve seen of the discourse on Twitter no one has crossed the line. Whether she is or isn’t responsible in this case is irrelevant… People are entitled to believe she’s feeding us a line and given that she’s the face of the show we all know directing their anger at her isn’t boundary stepping. A person in her position has to be prepared to take the good with the bad. There are also less obvious and severe ways of dealing with idiots on Twitter than outright blocking people. Personally I think she should have just stayed silent on the matter and that saying anything at this point was dragging her further in to the discourse.

Last edited:
Sounds like they're back tracking - that clearly wasn't their original plan.
Yup. It’s clearly then backing down without actually admitting they’re backing down. Although I do get the impression this is going to be a watered down version of the live feeds. Basically our equivalent of C4 airing live feeds overnight.

Yup. It’s clearly then backing down without actually admitting they’re backing down. Although I do get the impression this is going to be a watered down version of the live feeds. Basically our equivalent of C4 airing live feeds overnight.
They are trying to throw the fans a bone after the backlash, but it won't work. I am more curious how they will respond when they see the ratings and social media impressions hitting all time lows. Do they pivot at that point or keep singing the same tune all the way to cancellation?

Can't find the graphic now but saw something last week that suggested BB Canada feeds were only up about a third of the time (less than half that of the US). Suspect a good chunk of that time was houseguests sleeping too, so three or four hours might top the footage. There won't be that much (and even if there is initially it'll tail off), and the blackouts are part of the fun - can create as much speculation as seeing the events unfolding.

They are trying to throw the fans a bone after the backlash, but it won't work. I am more curious how they will respond when they see the ratings and social media impressions hitting all time lows. Do they pivot at that point or keep singing the same tune all the way to cancellation?
I think even if they bought back full feeds a week in the damage would already be done.

The more they try and sell this to us the further it’s pushing the fans away. Especially Arisa… She’s gone from one of the most loved hosts to just another mouthpiece for the show. This statement is quite condescending.

05892C3C-08B0-4D06-A519-3969C8839649.jpeg

I agree. Those statements are not helping.

I wonder also how delayed the "digital dailies" footage will be. Are they going to try to keep nominations and comp results secret until after the corresponding episode is broadcast? I'm sure someone would leak the results anyway, but for all we know it could be a daily drop of 4-day-old footage. Something like that could be beneficial if it remained available to stream alongside the episodes for future binge watchers or re-watching, but would certainly not draw more people to watch in realtime.

I agree. Those statements are not helping.

I wonder also how delayed the "digital dailies" footage will be. Are they going to try to keep nominations and comp results secret until after the corresponding episode is broadcast? I'm sure someone would leak the results anyway, but for all we know it could be a daily drop of 4-day-old footage. Something like that could be beneficial if it remained available to stream alongside the episodes for future binge watchers or re-watching, but would certainly not draw more people to watch in realtime.
I’m not even sure they know at this point how it’s going to work. For context After Dark in Canada was several hours of pre-recorded content from earlier in the evening that was broadcast on Slice in the early hours of the following morning. If they plan on releasing in blocks then it’s going to be at least several hours behind if not more. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a whole 24 hours.

The "changing landscape" thing is nonsense - it's actually far easier to provide live feeds now than it was back when BB launched in 1999.

The irony here too is if they really do go for releasing hours of content it'll actually be more labour intensive than just broadcasting the feeds and editing them live. With far less of a final product too. Agree the content will probably be old - might even be held back until after the broadcast of the shows (i.e. show the nominations on the Tuesday then release the fallout (which was on Friday) after the show).

Also worth noting "hours" of content a week could technically be just 2 hours a week - so 15-20 minutes a day. I would bet on the content getting less and less every week.

No posts here after the premiere and I've seen nothing on my Twitter feed which would usually be full of content, but just one generic tweet from Arisa and another saying how nobody is tweeting about it.

Very little info on the website and not even an early digital daily to try and sweaten the fans early ons, though I understand the HoH comp didn't even finish during the premiere. One thing they have finally fixed is no week 1 eviction, so at least the first evictee will get a week on live feeds.

Main twist seems to be Deadlast - whoever finishes last in HoH is third nominee. Also the Eviction Protection Insurance looks like it may be a weekly thing with viewers able to prevent someone being nominated, but houseguests can only receive it once. Will still be 5 in veto with two picks by HoH nominees (assuming random). If any of the 3 nominees are saved HoH names replacement.

No posts here after the premiere and I've seen nothing on my Twitter feed which would usually be full of content, but just one generic tweet from Arisa and another saying how nobody is tweeting about it.
For reference, the premiere for BBCAN10 on reddit has over a thousand comments; this year it barely has over 500. Didn’t expect that many people to put the money where their mouth is so quickly.

Main twist seems to be Deadlast - whoever finishes last in HoH is third nominee.
I don’t mind this twist as BBCAN generally has a wider range of comps but it still does favour “comp beasts” over more social players.

I also see it playing in to strategy where someone is purposefully throwing the comp as a pawn just so they can play in PoV.

I think it would be much more impactful if the 2nd place HG was automatically nominated or even a random draw that determines what place is determines the third nominee.

In either case there’s really no way to game the system to an advantage. Having it be 2nd place cuts down on deal making and random draw makes it so that anyone is at risk if they aren’t HoH.

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the eviction safety insurance being a public vote. While I’m not against public voting in this format I much prefer the public playing a much more active role. Also given that we have no live feeds this season it’s far to easy for production to sway the vote through editing.

Last edited:
I don't mind that but would prefer the public to save one of the nominees than show their cards to the entire house over who they want to save (although only being able to save them once somewhat negates that).

Remains to be seen if it's a weeky thing - website somewhat implies it is but last year think it was just twice (Marty and Summer IIRC). Suspect it's the producers idea of engaging the fans who have otherwise been disengaged by the axing of the live feed, though of course really it's all about the sponsors.

This video is about BBUS but IMO the spirit of the BB: OTT format should have been what BBCAN went for from the start. The early years of BBCAN had a lot of public participation but it was rarely if ever implemented in a way that made the viewers an active player. BB: OTT was far from perfect and not my most ideal format but I do think they made a decent effort in achieving what they set out to do.

I don't mind that but would prefer the public to save one of the nominees than show their cards to the entire house over who they want to save (although only being able to save them once somewhat negates that).

Remains to be seen if it's a weeky thing - website somewhat implies it is but last year think it was just twice (Marty and Summer IIRC). Suspect it's the producers idea of engaging the fans who have otherwise been disengaged by the axing of the live feed, though of course really it's all about the sponsors.
If they wanted a third nominee I’d much rather have the public give someone the ability to make that third nomination. It could easily be attached to some sort of immunity.

I think with the eviction insurance it’s just an easy way for production to fulfill their product placement obligations than something they feel will really impact the game.

As for the Deadlast twist I think it’s more targeted at people who throw comps but realistically people who throw comps aren’t the obvious first out.

Back