Skip to main content

Will Big Brother be back in 2023?

MKR flopping even worse than BB for 7, at least BB did well in the younger demos. Let's see if 7 renews this too, if they do I guess they are happy settling for mediocrity.
Just like The Chaser. "Striving for mediocrity in a world of excellence" 😂

1660018522275.png

Oh shoot has mkr started? Oh whoops totally forgot about it and I was looking forward to seeing Nigella. I haven’t watched mkr in a while, not sure why I stopped, I think the last time I watched was with that hot but high maintenance lawyer chick and her lawyer husband. I quite enjoyed her actually. Then after that I think I stopped watching. Or was it when they brought back the previous cooks from previous seasons. I can’t remember now. I think the show just lost its leverage, or they focussed on the drama way too much. I don’t know I just would miss some years and then watch some years.

So it’s boring, even with Nigella? Well that’s sad. I’ll have to find time to watch it

Nigella is her delightful self and is the only reason I continue to watch atm. I dunno why I'm finding it boring...but it just seems same old, same old to me. I guess you have to give them credit for not screwing with the format though.

Hate to say it, but brekkie has described me. It did get boring but then the drama was a bit too much and then I stopped watching. Okay I’ll explain myself. I kind of like the bitchier characters but not so bitchy that they cause drama for the sake of it. Favourite duo from the show has been jake and Elle. I don’t know what it is but I adored them first time and loved them the second time. And they backed themselves by actually being able to cook. It was the manufactured drama I couldn’t be bothered for.

Like sephrenia, I’ll most likely watch because of Nigella and Nigella only. I do think this show has most likely run its course though by the sounds of it.

I was looking at some classic Aussie TV guides yesterday (trying to find schedules for the Sydney Olympics, but could only find the Opening Ceremony) and really is noteable how back then the channels had proper schedules with multiple programmes a night in hour long slots and generally different shows each night.

Even the Big Brother launch and finale were only scheduled for 90 minutes and Ten could accomodate the finale and a two hour premiere for The Secret Life of Us in the same night.

Extending shows to run 90 minutes+ is all well and good if they're hits - but as soon as they flop you're sacrificing the entire night for just one show.

The only cooking show I’d ever watch for more than 90 minutes if they did make it that long would be come dine with me, the uk version, and strictly because of the narrator of the show.

And that generally works because it's 30 minutes long, though here in the UK a weeks worth of episodes regularly air back to back. It's a show though where you can opt in at any point and still enjoy it, and you get a set up, some action and a resolution every half hour - rather than watching for 90 minutes and realising the show hasn't progressed at all.

Did they ever do an Aussie version - it's the sort of thing which would have worked well for 10 when they were still commissioning half hour shows for 7pm (and then 6pm). Could work quite well now as a Neighbours replacement on Peach, but they'll of course stick with the millionth Friends repeats instead.

They tried to but it didn’t last I believe. I personally couldn’t get into it. Not sure what didn’t work, maybe the narrator lacked wittiness, the guests were so and so, I just preferred watching overseas and the way did things. I’m not sure but I really didn’t get into it and found myself going back to the uk version. I also liked the South African version of the show. Not against them bringing it back and trying again though. Maybe focus on more average families because the few episodes I did watch had guests with extravagant lives or extreme wealth- I think that’s what it was, it wasn’t relateable and couldn’t connect with them.

I would watch on foxtel back to back episodes easily on the weekends. Neighbours shows from the week could be watched back to back on weekends too I think- or we’re they old neighbour shows. I know they had 2.5 hours of neighbours on the weekend though. Anyways yeah I agree a show like come done with me would be a great filler for this time slot and would replace the weekdays and weekend catch-ups quite nicely.

Hate to say it, but brekkie has described me. It did get boring but then the drama was a bit too much and then I stopped watching. Okay I’ll explain myself. I kind of like the bitchier characters but not so bitchy that they cause drama for the sake of it. Favourite duo from the show has been jake and Elle. I don’t know what it is but I adored them first time and loved them the second time. And they backed themselves by actually being able to cook. It was the manufactured drama I couldn’t be bothered for.

Like sephrenia, I’ll most likely watch because of Nigella and Nigella only. I do think this show has most likely run its course though by the sounds of it.
I agree...a sprinkling of bitchy adds spice but too much makes it really hard to watch. I loved Jake and Elle too.

I would happily take 90 minutes of the OG format than 60 minutes of Channel7’s one any day of the week.
I'd rather it was an hour, and would be quite happy with Ten's original 30 minute dailies tbh. Treat 'em mean to keep 'em keen. Keep them wanting more. People are sick of the huge commitments the networks are putting on them. Perhaps a 30 minute evening show and a 30 minute late show would work.

I'd rather it was an hour, and would be quite happy with Ten's original 30 minute dailies tbh. Treat 'em mean to keep 'em keen. Keep them wanting more. People are sick of the huge commitments the networks are putting on them. Perhaps a 30 minute evening show and a 30 minute late show would work.
Yeah; unfortunately, the networks definitely seem happier for a longer show to fail than risk spending on producing more shorter shows.

That being said, I think BB does get away with not being as commitment heavy to a greater storyline than, say, survival shows. Heck, I’ve completely given up on this season of BBUS, but am still tuning in to the live feeds because it’s fun to see them interact.

When is Farmer Wants a Wife due to start? Never been interested in The Block or MKR ever so I'm just watching Survivor South Africa, Bachelorette US and The Challenge US for reality shows right now

Back