Skip to main content

Will Big Brother be back in 2023?

This search for "singles" is another nail in the coffin. I'm seeing much of the same comments online, too:

- "Sorry a hard pass on me. It says something where shows on ABC and SBS are rating higher when episodes are actually screened…"

- "Such a shame they only want people who are single. They seem to want to concentrate on romantic relationships or to the extreme orgies. I think that is getting too close to other reality shows like Bachelor, Bacherlorette, Love Island and the like."

- "I don’t know if I like this for BB – there are so many other love oriented show (Married, Bachelor franchise, New Love Boat, Heartbreak Island, Love Island (with is almost directly a Love-Oriented OldBB). There’s room to be original with the format and premise that doesn’t compete with established competition."

- "Only singles? Going to be a dating game as well?"

- "I’m out this year too. (...). If they go back to live shows and evictions and viewers vote again like the UK, then I’m back on board."

Every time I read that it is renewed my heart sinks. It’s like really? Again? Another fucking year of this shit?

The challenges and strategy talk format is soooooo boring. This isn’t Big Brother Australia at all.

This season we had the formula “old housemates, challenges, strategy talk” now they are trying “romance, challenges, strategy talk”. It’s never going to work. Give up.
I think this is what the issue is with this format- there is a theme they want to portray. This years was who was the strategist, and next year it’s the coupling portrayal. They don’t allow random stories to progress or rather don’t show any type of theme other than the ones they engineer, meaning interfering characters could potentially be hidden from being viewed.

I wonder whether they hold on to the big brother name as it’s recognised rather than form a new name for a show because they think people don’t tune into new things. I haven’t a clue why they push for the bb name when it’s obvious the concept has disappeared.

In saying all this i think the UK are superior when it comes to shows with singles or exes. People are shown in all their glory.

This search for "singles" is another nail in the coffin. I'm seeing much of the same comments online, too:

- "Sorry a hard pass on me. It says something where shows on ABC and SBS are rating higher when episodes are actually screened…"

- "Such a shame they only want people who are single. They seem to want to concentrate on romantic relationships or to the extreme orgies. I think that is getting too close to other reality shows like Bachelor, Bacherlorette, Love Island and the like."

- "I don’t know if I like this for BB – there are so many other love oriented show (Married, Bachelor franchise, New Love Boat, Heartbreak Island, Love Island (with is almost directly a Love-Oriented OldBB). There’s room to be original with the format and premise that doesn’t compete with established competition."

- "Only singles? Going to be a dating game as well?"

- "I’m out this year too. (...). If they go back to live shows and evictions and viewers vote again like the UK, then I’m back on board."
The final comment- I didn’t realise UK did lives. I think I might watch!

The only thing that saved Channel 7's arses from not cancelling this was the catch up numbers for 7Plus were decent. Plus you also have mouthpieces like Rob McKnight who refuses to say anything bad about this version because he gets access to preview the show weeks in advance (as does anyone employed in the media) and one of the only places who does exit press with the housemates. It's the same with 7 also bringing back MKR and think it will rate because they have Nigella Lawson instead of Pete fucking Evans but then Matt Preston will take over from Nigella as she only filmed a few episode etc.

In a way, I'm grateful they're upfront about this dumpster fire so I know that I can tune out from now. I'm throwing all my positive energy to the UK revival. It sounds incredibly promising.

Every country that has BB films it live apart from Australia.
I’ve been living under a rock! The only uk bb I watched was the one where Jason (I think that’s his name) won- a rich guy and his ex was batshit crazy obsessive about him.

I think this is what the issue is with this format- there is a theme they want to portray. This years was who was the strategist, and next year it’s the coupling portrayal. They don’t allow random stories to progress or rather don’t show any type of theme other than the ones they engineer, meaning interfering characters could potentially be hidden from being viewed.

I wonder whether they hold on to the big brother name as it’s recognised rather than form a new name for a show because they think people don’t tune into new things. I haven’t a clue why they push for the bb name when it’s obvious the concept has disappeared.

In saying all this i think the UK are superior when it comes to shows with singles or exes. People are shown in all their glory.
Absolutely yeah. It's obvious who they want to promote and who they are happy just to give purple edits to as well. Back in the day people like Vesna went from being a replacement housemate to being the star of the season. I just don't get the feeling that anyone who production doesn't love from early on would ever get a good enough storyline to actually have a fair chance at winning the game under this format and that's pretty stink TBH.

Absolutely yeah. It's obvious who they want to promote and who they are happy just to give purple edits to as well. Back in the day people like Vesna went from being a replacement housemate to being the star of the season. I just don't get the feeling that anyone who production doesn't love from early on would ever get a good enough storyline to actually have a fair chance at winning the game under this format and that's pretty stink TBH.
Agree wholeheartedly. Now the replacement housemate is there to assist the decided main character for their storyline. They may as well put this show in line with other daytime shows like days of our lives or bold and beautiful (are they even still on actually), with their over hyped promises of false drama.

I’m actually really disappointed to find out that they are only looking at singles to enter the house. It didn’t hit me as hard when I first read this a few days ago but today it really hit how annoyed I am, especially learning worldwide bb is so different to ours. I just don’t understand why or how this is happening. have none of the people who have a say in bb production ever watched this show before or enjoyed it in its prime? Like how does it get to this? whilst it’s great we can watch oversea versions, it is much more relateable when it’s your home country so far out- wish they would make it better!

Argh they think we want a bunch of showmances! Who the hell do they think their audience is? I’m looking forward to watching UK (somehow) but will likely give the next Aussie season a miss.

I doubt they will as it required too much imagination and effort but the only justification for casting only singles IMO is if you have a twist where initially they're coupled up and play as duos.

Back