Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

Ahh yes, the good old public phone box! Stinking of stale cigarette smoke and urine, and a popular haunt for under 16's after dark shenanigans (only they didn't seem to think about the light in the box after dark!)
We beat paying for calls too. I used to call my mum to pick me up from the station by ringing 3 times and hanging up.

Back then it was sort of an Aussie thing - to beat the government anyway you could, juggle your taxes a bit to get an extra claim or reduce your tax bill etc.. & before Telstra & Telecom it was PMG that was run by the government so we all wanted to scam them somehow & using the phones by ringing 2, 3 or so times was just the done thing :roflmao:

So even as kids we were sort of taught how to scam the system slightly :cool: That's one of the things I loved about being an Aussie kid back then...

I remember knocking on doors and running off. We had endless fun doing that (strange children!)
And then as we got older, we got more annoying. As my best friend lived in a cul-de-sac, we had a great view of the whole street. We progressed from annoying neighbours by knocking and running, and would phone home orders from the Chinese and watch them getting delivered. Now that one probably wasn't funny for either recievee or deliverer!
I don't think we did that one very often. Maybe once or twice! 1658713079056.gif

I remember knocking on doors and running off. We had endless fun doing that (strange children!)
And then as we got older, we got more annoying. As my best friend lived in a cul-de-sac, we had a great view of the whole street. We progressed from annoying neighbours by knocking and running, and would phone home orders from the Chinese and watch them getting delivered. Now that one probably wasn't funny for either recievee or deliverer!
I don't think we did that one very often. Maybe once or twice! View attachment 59131
Actually, I'm not sure places delivered back then, I think we ordered taxis to show up at neighbours doors 🤔
Yes, in hind sight, it was taxis!😂

Last edited:
…I used to have to travel by train to work when I first started working as I’ve stated before… and one of my favourite things to do was to make sure that I sat facing everyone in the train carriage and then I used to pretend that I was yawning… after a few seconds a few people would start yawning too lol!… I used to try and break my record each night for making them yawn… eventually some of the regular passengers got wise to me and just made sure that they didn’t watch me… some of them used to smile watching others yawning… such fun days lol!… I’ve always been an annoying little git… cheers.

E363BBDD-6515-4172-9ADE-97DA39AFD997.jpeg
…I remember the first car I bought was a Datsun 120Y… god it was a heap of junk lol!… dependable my arse lol!… mine was a mustard colour… cheers.

I found a phone card the other day.

LOL! Up until a few years ago I used to always carry one in my wallet and I used it most of the time because sometimes those damn phones wouldn't accept coins or they were buggered so I found that most of them seemed to work when you used a phone card instead...lol

I don't think we did that one very often. Maybe once or twice! View attachment 59131

Oh you just reminded me the one time me and my mate ordered a few large pizza's from the local pizza shop and got them to deliver them to a house down the street. Can't quite remember now why we chose this house but we sat in the park at the end of the street and watched the car stop and the guy walking into the house holding the pizza's. Then after a few minutes you see the guy walking back towards the car holding all the pizza's...LOL! I guess in those days (this must have been in the late 1980's) the pizza shop didn't bother to ring back the address to make sure the orders were legit....LOL! I reckon after that happened a few times they must have started to ring back the customer to make sure they ordered those pizza's...LOL

View attachment 59139
…I remember the first car I bought was a Datsun 120Y… god it was a heap of junk lol!… dependable my arse lol!… mine was a mustard colour… cheers.

LOL! The good old Datto! Speaking of which tonight I was following an old Datsun 120Y Coupe down the road. It was that Datsun colour you know the one it's like a cross between green and yellow? Anyway you can certainly smell the fuel entering the cabin of your car when following one of these old beasts down the road...lol. Here's a picture of one that I saw tonight below:

1658767431118.png

I have parked in the old garage outside our old Datsun 180B which my dad bought in the early 1980's and that was our family car right up until 1994 when my dad passed away. It's quite rusty and I have basically made it into a storage cupboard over the years it has all sorts of junk inside the car and sitting on top of it now. I just couldn't let it go and get scrapped at the wreckers when I was younger and because I had the garage and spare space I thought I am just going to keep that car as I have too many family memories with that good old car. Remember a while ago I mentioned in this thread how we used to go fishing back in those days where you could literally drive your car onto Station Pier here in Melbourne and you could cast a line into the water and then sit in your car and have the fishing rod hanging out of the windows...well those memories were in this good old Datsun 180B! When I still sometimes see an old Datsun 180B driving around these days it just brings back so many memories of those good old days it's great! Here is a picture of what our family Datsun 180B looked like when we had one back in those days (yep it was even in this exact same classic green/yellow colour? lol. Cheers! :)

1658768861227.png

1658794285066.png

I had one of these in dark blue. An Austin 1300. I got insulted when people called it a Morris 1100 😂
I remember after I passed my driving test, I'd drive past bus stops looking for people I knew to give a lift to. Luckily for any unsuspecting passenger, I never found anyone!
In fact I say it was mine. My dad actually got it for my mum as a run around, but I nicked it!

a.jpg
My first car was a Holden HX panel van, much to my Mums disliking (my Father was quietly envious :cool: )
It was the same colour as this one.
It had a small chev v8 in it and ran on petrol & LP gas.. I remember when I first bought it, the local hoons wouldn't offer to drag race me as they thought the LP gas tank was nitrous oxide. A few of my friends had observed me switch the car from LP gas back to petrol as we were driving along & petrol was a much faster performing fuel back then & would give the car a boost of about 20%. So the rumour got around town that I had nitro installed. My gas tank was 80 litres - I could never understand how they thought I would possibly have an 80 litre nitro tank fitted to the car - typically if you had nitro on your vehicle you would give it a 15-20 second burst... 80 litres of nitro would cost a fortune and most likely blow your engine up if you ran it too long past that...

I had some fond memories in that car 😍

I went to Bathurst one year and we arrived very early like a day before the big race.. We were up on the top of the hill and I backed the car up to the fence (it was a just a simple 4 strand wire fence back in the 80's), lowered the tail gate and lay on the mattress, went to sleep and woke up surrounded by people with deck chairs etc securing their viewing spot for the big race.. Some officials came down and asked me to move the car, but I told them I'd been drinking, so I couldn't drive it. I gave them permission to move it, but hey refused stating they were not allowed - so they let me leave the car there all day :biggrin: ... What a fun day that was.

I wish I kept that car, it would worth a fortune now ...

That's a fancy shaggin' wagon 😂 😂 😂
It was all tricked out.. The stereo system had 8 speakers in it. 4 in the front and 4 in the rear. The rear section had velour plush soft wall & roof lining with a lovely soft mattress ... Probably the best sleeps I ever had were in the back of that thing whilst a mate drove us somewhere - the soft purr of the V8 motor and the gentle rocking motion as you sped along...

It was all tricked out.. The stereo system had 8 speakers in it. 4 in the front and 4 in the rear. The rear section had velour plush soft wall & roof lining with a lovely soft mattress ... Probably the best sleeps I ever had were in the back of that thing whilst a mate drove us somewhere - the soft purr of the V8 motor and the gentle rocking motion as you sped along...
Sounds impressive!
I won't ask any question 🤭

…ha ha!… this morning while having a shower I got shampoo soap in my mouth and I had an instant flashback to when my mum actually used to wash my mouth out with soap as a little kid whenever she caught me out when swearing lol!… not only that… she made me swallow ’Cod Liver Oil’ too straight after as further punishment lol!… if that happened nowadays it would be classed as ‘chid abuse’ now I’m sure of it lol!… how times have changed… cheers.

…did you have the sticker on the back window that said…

569999D3-D913-437F-B28A-5AF59306487A.jpeg

…just thought I’d ask lol!… great looking van by the way Thing… cheers.

…did you have the sticker on the back window that said…

View attachment 59167

…just thought I’d ask lol!… great looking van by the way Thing… cheers.
Haha no, I didn't want to 'spoil' the look with stickers :biggrin: or maybe my Mum would have grabbed my head and done some knockin' if I dared put that on the van and then let the neighbours see :roflmao:
That pic is an internet pic of a van - its not mine, I have one somewhere I will try and find it.. but mine was that same model and almost that exact same colour (minus the pin striping)

…being unable to walk since my last major stroke unless with a standup walking frame (which looks very similar to this)…

20D3C8B2-B0C5-4E09-82B0-B0C283B18E3F.jpeg
…part of my rehabilitation training after 3 and a half years since the stroke has now moved to a swimming pool (yahoo!… thanks to my newest and best Physio ever for the last year)… anyway… I’ve had to use buoyancy aids to keep me afloat ever since I’ve been in the pool… well… on Friday while at the pool I walked from one side to the other side 6 times without any floating aids!…

…to actually walk unaided without a walking frame or any buoyancy aids for once is beyond magnificent!… it’s one of my greatest feelings of my life… granted… the water is the thing that is keeping me up but my balance is what this post is all about…

…when I was a teenager between 17 and 23 years old I was always Surfing… I’m now finding that I’m using the same balancing motions that I was using then to surf as I am now using to balance myself in the pool today lol!… who knew that way back when I was a teenager that I was rehearsing my balance for me in old age lol!… talk about going the full circle eh?… but seriously… it was another baby step towards full recovery I hope… now to master the art of walking and balance on dry land… I’d love to permanently get out of that bloody wheelchair… I keep telling myself that it’s just a matter of time… it’s now not ‘if’ but ‘when’ as far as I’m concerned… ‘never give in’ is my motto… cheers.

Flicking back through old photos of myself as a kid, and I’m wearing tights with thick socks over them. 😂 anything to keep you warm back in the day. It’s practical I’ll give it that. Childrens clothing was a lot more fun l, now it’s all neutral for the perfect social media picture.

Back