Skip to main content

In The News

Sad really. I guess the younger generations and all this new fangled "smart phone" technology and in the name of so called "convenience" they are all sleep walking the rest of us into a possible cashless society one day. I guess they don't realise or don't care that every single transaction that is made electronically is saved and stored somewhere forever.

Heck why stop there, maybe in the name of convenience these younger types can put up their hand and get a "RFID" chip implanted into them so they don't have to carry around a large bulky heavy "smartphone" to pay for their everyday items anymore. All in the name of "convenience". :rolleyes:

Even I do notice that there isn't as many cash transactions anymore like there used to be years ago. I also notice that it's mostly the older people that stick to using cash more then the younger generations.

Well I think I have mentioned this here a few times now and people should embrace cash and use it as much as possible while they can, try and keep cash alive and also protect what little privacy we still have left in this world.

Cheers!

Sad really. I guess the younger generations and all this new fangled "smart phone" technology and in the name of so called "convenience" they are all sleep walking the rest of us into a possible cashless society one day. I guess they don't realise or don't care that every single transaction that is made electronically is saved and stored somewhere forever.

Heck why stop there, maybe in the name of convenience these younger types can put up their hand and get a "RFID" chip implanted into them so they don't have to carry around a large bulky heavy "smartphone" to pay for their everyday items anymore. All in the name of "convenience". :rolleyes:

Even I do notice that there isn't as many cash transactions anymore like there used to be years ago. I also notice that it's mostly the older people that stick to using cash more then the younger generations.

Well I think I have mentioned this here a few times now and people should embrace cash and use it as much as possible while they can, try and keep cash alive and also protect what little privacy we still have left in this world.

Cheers!
I'm a cash girl. My partner and I don't even have a credit card. We have debit cards, but hardly ever use them. Thankfully the majority of my clients pay cash, the others transfer the funds. now I don't have a credit card facility for them to pay by card, it saves me over $2,000 a year in credit card fees.

I'm all for cash. When the networks go down, people are stuck. The salon appointment system is all on line - connected to their eftpos machine, and when that goes down, appointments can't be made/checked, and no payments can be made. And it does happen.
I still have my appointment book - I haven't moved on with the times as far as how I run my business goes, but look who's still smiling when technology fails! (I rent a seat from the salon I work at)

Roe V Wade struck down by the US Supreme Court. Trump set this up by appointing (relatively) young, conservative judges to the court that will stay in those positions until they die.

If he hasn't already, Trump will be trumpeting (pun unintended) his success here to rally his supporters for another run. And LGBTQI+ will be next in the SCOUTS' sights. America is so broken.

1656118522440.png

Roe V Wade struck down by the US Supreme Court. Trump set this up by appointing (relatively) young, conservative judges to the court that will stay in those positions until they die.

If he hasn't already, Trump will be trumpeting (pun unintended) his success here to rally his supporters for another run. And LGBTQI+ will be next in the SCOUTS' sights. America is so broken.

View attachment 58745
America is fucked and they have no one to blame but themselves. For me the scariest thing about this whole situation is that American politics sometimes leak across the boarder in to Canada and take on a life of their own.

It wasn't in the news today, but it was news to me today, that UK paper bank notes are to be withdrawn from tender as of mid September.
I had £1000.00 in the old paper notes. On line they said post them back to the Bank Of England to exchange them!
Yeah right! Post a thousand pounds through the mail?
Thankfully I could deposit them into my bank account.
I lost my initial exchange rate, but that's not an issue as they've been sitting in the wardrobe gathering no intrest since buying them 3 years ago before our last trip was cancelled in 2020.
If I'd not heard about this before our next trip home, we'd have gone back with non legal tender and had to deal with it once it was too late!

Anyone with British paper pond notes, be aware.

It wasn't in the news today, but it was news to me today, that UK paper bank notes are to be withdrawn from tender as of mid September.
I had £1000.00 in the old paper notes. On line they said post them back to the Bank Of England to exchange them!
Yeah right! Post a thousand pounds through the mail?
Thankfully I could deposit them into my bank account.
I lost my initial exchange rate, but that's not an issue as they've been sitting in the wardrobe gathering no intrest since buying them 3 years ago before our last trip was cancelled in 2020.
If I'd not heard about this before our next trip home, we'd have gone back with non legal tender and had to deal with it once it was too late!

Anyone with British paper pond notes, be aware.

Do you know if they are replacing them with new bank notes or just getting rid of them altogether? Because here in Australia as you know we used to have good old paper bank notes but over the years they have all been replaced with newer plastic bank notes. But if you still have old Australian paper bank notes you can still take them into a bank and get them exchanged to new bank notes. How do I know this you may ask? lol. I took some of my own original paper $50 bank notes into my local bank a couple of years ago and exchanged them for some new current notes no problems at all.

I sure do hope that at least in the UK they are going to replace them with new plastic bank notes like we have done here. Because you know where things are heading if they are not...? Refer to the previous news article about slowly becoming a "cashless society". :(

Edit: After I posted this I did a quick search and found a news article here saying that the paper bank notes will be replaced with polymer bank notes similar to here in Australia. I guess the only difference here is in the UK they will no longer be accepting the paper bank notes at the banks for exchanging like they still allow here in Australia. Well anyway at least they are not getting rid of bank notes just replacing them with newer plastic notes. So still some life left in the good old cash money in the UK. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Yes, I forgot to mention that they're being replaced with those polymer ones.

I wonder if that will eventually happen here.
I should take my paper $50's to the bank to change, too.

Yes, I forgot to mention that they're being replaced with those polymer ones.

I wonder if that will eventually happen here.
I should take my paper $50's to the bank to change, too.

I actually changed some old paper one's a few years ago to spend the money at some shops. I have still kept 4 paper $50 notes here, I have just kept them as they are in really good condition and for the memories. I also have some old paper $1, $2 and a $5 notes...lol. I even have a few old 1 and 2 cent peices from back in that era also...lol.

Gees don't those old big paper notes just feel like real money hey? When compared to these new "plastic" smaller bank notes we have now...lol!

Cheers! :)

I actually changed some old paper one's a few years ago to spend the money at some shops. I have still kept 4 paper $50 notes here, I have just kept them as they are in really good condition and for the memories. I also have some old paper $1, $2 and a $5 notes...lol. I even have a few old 1 and 2 cent peices from back in that era also...lol.

Gees don't those old big paper notes just feel like real money hey? When compared to these new "plastic" smaller bank notes we have now...lol!

Cheers! :)
Oh, THOSE paper ones 😂
I was meaning the paper ones after those and before the polymer ones!
So glad they got rid of the 1c 2c prices.
Now all loose change is a pain!

My partner had a nightmare today with Scottish notes. The banks don't recognise a lot of them. He's having to send them back to the UK to deal with them.
In fact even when we have been back there, trying to use Scottish notes in England was problem
A lot of places wouldn't take them! That was an eye opener!

My partner had a nightmare today with Scottish notes. The banks don't recognise a lot of them. He's having to send them back to the UK to deal with them.
In fact even when we have been back there, trying to use Scottish notes in England was problem
A lot of places wouldn't take them! That was an eye opener!
Yeah paper notes are being replaced with new polymer ones like Australia uses. It was in the news just recently

Seriously why the hell has every damn news network in Australia today all talked about this damn Bunnings Sausage price hike? Does Bunnings need any more damn free advertising it's enough they have the monopoly in the hardware industry and have squeezed out pretty much all competition out there let's all just give them blanket coverage on all news channels about their damn dirty snag stalls. I have never bought a damn Bunnings sausage and never will either.

Gees the way the news networks talk about these damn things you'd think these things are running the country and are a matter of life and death. Also it's only gone up just a mere dollar for those that like to devour these things as they walk down the dirty dusty isles in their local Bunnings store...lol.

Cheers!

I agree with the bloke in this story I recently had a similar experience at a K-mart store here. It's been a few years since I walked into a k-mart store but I was shocked when I asked about getting served by an employee and being told that we no longer serve customers and you have to self serve your items. I was like um ok but I want to pay some with cash and some on card, and the employee was like "yep that's fine you can just put through your money on the card first then pay the rest with cash". See these youngsters don't really understand the bigger picture if things keep going like they are they will also be out of a job real soon. I am against any retailer that doesn't offer some form of service from a store employee. To cut a long story short I ended up handing my items back to the employee and said just put them back on the shelf and I walked out of the k-mart store. I will never venture into a k-mart store again if that's the service they are offering. It's not only that but almost all the junk they stock and sell now is all cheap ass crapola at k-mart it's just like a massive $2 store now. Gone are the days when you could actually walk into a k-mart store buy a half decent item and actually get served by an employee. It's sad to see how things are becoming and changing. Watching people scanning away on their own like walking zombie slaves to these companies.

It's funny they can have so many people standing around to watch over and assist the poor buggers trying to use the self serve checkouts, why not just get the employees to go back to their registers and serve the customers like they used to?

I don't know what some of these so called "managers" are thinking that are running these places. Not everyone is a walking zombie slave and we all haven't been brainwashed into thinking that 'self serve' is the best form of service. Look if you want to go and scan items yourself and get watched over your shoulder and treated like a thief than that's your choice. But there should always be the option of still getting served by an employee if that's what you want. Not this bullshit where you have no choice at all! When I was younger I would have probably gone a bit further and called for a manager and really made a big deal of something like this in a shop. But seriously I can't be bothered anymore with all that crap and in all honesty, it will probably be some teenager manager that will come out staring into their 'smartphone' trying to get answers to my questions... :rolleyes:

Back