Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

My favourites in no particular order
BBUK 2009
The worst of the C4 series, the one that got the show axed after losing a third of it's viewers year on year. Poorly cast and poorly produced - you know a series which begins with someone shaving off their eye brows as the big launch night twist is doomed from the start.

2006 for me. I don’t know what it is but that bb was the most impactful for me.

Love 2006. I think for me that was my first year living out of home with friends and I have such fond memories of watching it with them. I had watched all the previous seasons too but maybe I was able to devote more time to it in 2006 so I have more memories of it.

Probably many people have similar associations with different seasons and it will be their favourite for reasons external to the show.

I would love to know what happened between Matt and Caleb, was there ever any public indication? They were all bff but now don’t even follow each other on Insta.

Matt seemed pretty chill while Caleb had a chaotic vibe to him, I feel like he was looking a bit unhinged on socials afterwards but could be a false memory? I wonder if he came on too strong. Probably there is no real tea but it doesn’t seem enough to me that they just didn’t click in the real world or drifted apart, feels like they had a proper falling out.

bleachy I kind of love your notifications, I think because I’ve watched it recently I like to go look at the post and think about it. But also I’m sure there are some super cringe posts by me so that’s kind of embarrassing.

I went onto the finale thread and saw I was supporting Jade, kind of surprising lol. She is fine, I wasn’t a hater, but I didn’t think I wanted her to win. But I didn’t appreciate Tim and Tahan enough at the time so maybe it makes sense.

She’s actually so cringe, complaining about the size 6 being too big and crying saying she loves looking the way she does and would hate to not look that way. But she actually had quite low self esteem and was much smarter than she gave herself credit for, I think she thought all she had to offer was her looks. She did get hung up on the boys saying Tahan’s face on her body would be ideal, I think she needed to be the hottest girl because otherwise what else did she have? Whereas Tahan had no issues saying she thought Jade was beautiful and I really never heard Tahan say anything about her own looks.

But the above cringey things and the need for external validation by having boys like her aside, I actually saw a lot of myself in Jade so maybe that’s why I was rooting for her. And like Jade my dad has lived overseas my whole life, so maybe there is something there as well, and maybe that aspect of her resonated with me. Plus I did love her dad!

bleachy I kind of love your notifications, I think because I’ve watched it recently I like to go look at the post and think about it. But also I’m sure there are some super cringe posts by me so that’s kind of embarrassing.
Haha I’m actually a bit sad that I couldn’t really contribute to the live chat threads as my regional channel (NBN) was usually half hour later than channel 9! I do sometimes peruse through other threads to see my comments and don’t worry, I have enough cringe posts of my own.
I have a pretty terrible memory so I forget so much of what happened, both in the show and on the forum!

I am enjoying reading the comments so no need to apologise. Making me want to watch it again. (I did a rewatch a few years ago now)

The main thing I always associate with Caleb is his faces while working out. Something tells me Caleb without Matt or Ed around would have been ok though and like drew would have made friends with whoever. I think he probably just never really would have been seen much because of the bigger personalities in that house.
I agree isee. Caleb on his own seems to care whether the girls were affected in some way and genuinely didn’t want them being upset. He went up to mikkayla afterwards to see if she was alright before they slept and wanted to ensure she knew he understood her dilemma. Matt continued to be a bit of a knob about being put up. I do sense he thought it would be an instant thing he would be top dog with no effort required. And Ed I think thought being a nice person and part of the top tier in the house would be an instant winner. Funny how they all though this and believe they would make top 3 yet outside the house was a completely different vibe. Though I don’t get the hate either if that makes sense. At the end of it all they were nice people at the core of it. I can say Matt acted entitled but he was still a good person and Ed unfortunately was dragged into the terrible, awkward and cringy relationship, but that doesn’t make him a bad guy either.

Was it ever announced Matt had a girlfriend outside the house- I can’t remember now if he went in single or he wasn’t single but it never was talked about or was it all a secret. So confused because he did in fact have someone outside all the sudden I remember when he left the house.

Edit to say 😂 Caleb’s faces. Oh gosh he was hilarious.

Last edited:
Love 2006. I think for me that was my first year living out of home with friends and I have such fond memories of watching it with them. I had watched all the previous seasons too but maybe I was able to devote more time to it in 2006 so I have more memories of it.

Probably many people have similar associations with different seasons and it will be their favourite for reasons external to the show.
Yes I think that’s what it is. I was a newly adult and in uni, they were my favourite years because I discovered so much and became less sheltered, bb added to all this and I loved all the discussions from the hms as I understood some of it for once and could actually relate to it. I remember on campus, all of us joining to talk about it and watching it sometimes at night because we were “studying” as a group.

You’re right, it’s the association of it with the people and experiences happening around me.

Yes I think that’s what it is. I was a newly adult and in uni, they were my favourite years because I discovered so much and became less sheltered, bb added to all this and I loved all the discussions from the hms as I understood some of it for once and could actually relate to it. I remember on campus, all of us joining to talk about it and watching it sometimes at night because we were “studying” as a group.

You’re right, it’s the association of it with the people and experiences happening around me.
I also think it was just a really good year with a good mix of personalities etc because I was not newly adult and it is one of my favourite years. Also 2003 and 2013.

I also think it was just a really good year with a good mix of personalities etc because I was not newly adult and it is one of my favourite years. Also 2003 and 2013.
💯 the cast was really good imo too. Camilla, Anna, Dave, Krystal, Michael… up late, the scandals in the house and outside the house with Gretel, with government speaking out about their disgust for bb- the whole bb series was an event. I love 2013, but 2006 was something else. I’m pretty sure I still recall on this website a threads and threads about saving John and Ashley etc. it was chaos on here and I lived reading it, watching it, seeing it in the news, all of it

Interesting discussion regarding Matt, Ed and Caleb. I think all 3 of them suffered from the same problem in the first half of the game, and that was that they weren’t really prominent enough characters and spent most of their time hanging out in the gym, which doesn’t make for entertaining TV. Tim and Drew were a popular bromance that season because they provided good entertainment value as a duo. Matt/Caleb and later Matt/Ed tried to do a similar thing, but they weren’t entertaining enough personalities for it to work.

Arguably, Caleb and Matt going home early benefited Ed in that it forced him to start interacting more with the other housemates and go all in on his showmance with Jade, which helped give him more screen time. While I hated the showmance between Ed and Jade, and found it painful to watch, I accept that it made Ed a much more prominent character by giving him a central storyline. He got a lot more screen time in the second half of the series when he became more involved with Jade, compared to the first half when he was hanging out with Caleb and Matt. And looking back, the only things that he is really memorable for is the Jade thing and his feud with Tim.

Taking that into consideration, I do wonder what would have happened if Ed had gone earlier and Caleb or Matt had been the one to survive long term. I think Caleb could have done well in this scenario. Both Matt and Ed were quite laid back and serious, where Tim and Drew were more fun-loving and enjoyed doing stupid stuff for fun, hence Ed and Matt didn’t really gel with Tim and Drew. Caleb strikes me as the type of person who could gel with either group. He loved the gym and exercising, but he also seemed to have more of a fun partying side to his personality that Matt and Ed didn’t have. He just became close with Matt in week 1 due to them being in the halfway house together, and then stuck with that relationship until his eviction. But this meant spending most of his time in the gym with Matt and Ed, which emphasised the less interesting aspect of his personality. Without Matt and Ed there, I wonder if he would have gotten closer to Tim and Drew, which would have made him a bit more entertaining? I think Caleb’s personality wasn’t as opposite to them as Ed’s was.

Matt OTOH is someone who I’m not really sure about. I don’t know where Matt would have fitted in socially if Ed had gone home instead of Matt on the night Matt left. Ed used his showmance with Jade to stop himself from becoming isolated, and this brought him closer to Mikkayla as well. Matt didn’t have any showmances to help him, and he didn’t get along with Mikkayla at all. I think his more serious personality would hinder his ability to gel with Tim and Drew, similar to what happened with Ed. Though maybe Matt would have been less staunchly anti-Tim than what Ed was. Matt did seem to have a good friendship with Tahan, so maybe he would have become closer to her, as she was also feeling a bit isolated around that time. I think Matt had the potential to be more interesting given his backstory. Looking at the vote tally, he was actually quite popular in the beginning. In the second eviction, Matt was nominated and had a really high ‘Vote to Save’ percentage in which he tied with Ben for ‘most saved’ that week, but his popularity declined really quickly after that. I think he is the type of housemate who could have gone far in a ‘Vote to Evict’ system instead of ‘Vote to Save’. This is because he is too dull to maintain a big enough fan base that would consistently vote to save him, but he isn’t annoying enough that people would be motivated to want him removed. He has a bit of that ‘nice guy’ persona that could potentially win a public vote if he makes it to the end with some more divisive personalities, and the idea of a war hero winning BB would be marketable if he gets close enough to the end when winning becomes a real possibility.

Last edited:
Watched a few shows last night, the nominations and through to day 25. I think by this point you kind of worked out the personalities and changes in the dynamics of hms.

Tully really didn’t come across well and although I’m glad she was given a resurrection of character in the new bb, because I think she is honestly amazing now, the 2013 version of her is quite bad. I dare say maybe the worst hm almost for me when I am watching her in these episodes. I want to say I view her differently watching second time around but it’s not happening unfortunately.

Tim is honestly the star of the show without even trying- just naturally comes to him. His nomination stands out amongst it all when saying Ed has impressive and but he is yet to see guys… no guts no glory comment. Just brilliant. Whilst he has great commentary he also has the ability to start and have thoughtful discussions on social issues, like talking about racism. The convo with Tahan, jasmin and himself was very insightful and inclusive. From here he can then become entertaining, bringing out the best qualities in others like when him and Tahan dressed up, did Tahans hair, just great. And the. Again him and Drew being mischievous. All the while breaking down the house dynamics in a subtle way that was never noticed by me. The Drew thing was always in doubt at the time, but now knowing what’s happening and seeing it all over again- it’s really sad she allowed it to happen. She was always attracted to Drew and she knew it. She should have avoided it. But then again it gave her a storyline and gave her more weeks in the house as many wanted to see it for some reason. This was definitely Drew’s fall from grace eventually because I think he could have been final material.

Tahan definitely has mean girl tendencies and I may have overlooked them because I found out of all the girls she just went with the fun side of things and never seemed to dwell on the bad stuff. But in saying that her and mikkayla were honestly the best girls in that group. The way they handled being up for noms showed they were superior. They did not care and did not try and alter themselves and basically had the attitude of oh well you’ll learn to like me. You can see even the cool group appreciate mikkayla more each time and less appreciative of tully who def had it in for mikk. Loved hearing about mikks background story of being adopted. Tahan wearing her dress and kicking the ball shoes who she is well. She marked the ball better than Caleb and is down to get dirty regardless of what’s she’s wearing. I kind of understood why she is seen as mean as well. But she is one of the boys like this. She says things with no filter and thinks like the boys because she would move on that everyone would. Unfortunately she doesn’t realise the sensitivity because she isn’t a girly girl. I just love the girl. I really do.

Bens picture talking is annoying me at this point, I’m sure it annoyed me last time too. A few times I get it, but it’s one to two times too many now. I can see how the audience would turn on him. It really is cringy.

Jade is really likeable on some of the episodes. Putting up Ben was logical imo, she is superior compared to the girls in the showdowns, really impressed with her putting the bike together and winning. But her talking to herself is definitely strategy. I never picked up on it until now, but that was her way of getting her thoughts out there as a nice girl who is being targeted for no reason. The part where is saying she isn’t sure why she’s nominated and has never been disliked and it must be because she’s a weirdo was too planned for me this time round. I think she was much smarter and def played smart in this regard. It I also found she loved bombed too much like laying on Ed and saying she would respect boundaries. I am actually surprised I liked her as long as I did because honestly watching again I find this very cruel he. If a guy did this to a girl I would actually be disgusted.

Heidi is not likeable anymore. I don’t know what it is. I feel she wanted to be the new Chrissy of the season but she cannnot pull it off. She gossips way too much, her conversations are surface material mostly, she thinks she’s fun just because she’s loud but I don’t know, I can’t warm to her anymore. I want her fine before anyone at this stage. Same for jasmine. They come across like they know what’s best and will suck up and show respect to the cool people but then think it’s okay to be whatever with others.

I’m sorry but the sugar sisters are too much positivity. It sometimes just seems it’s a wall and they cannot breach it to a deep level. They brought some light into the house but I also found I would skip them.

Ed has disappeared really. He needed jade to keep interest in him. I’ve already forgotten about him at this point.

The shows are really good. They had a good balance of content with deep and meaningful discussions happening. Really I’m being picky but all the hms are actually hood value and offer good dynamics for storylines.

An Up Late episode from BB04 during Miriam's time on the show. Fortunately media and society has come a long way since this. Insensitive and offensive language so viewer discretion advised.

An Up Late episode from BB04 during Miriam's time on the show. Fortunately media and society has come a long way since this. Insensitive and offensive language so viewer discretion advised.
Mike gives me major douchebag vibes to the point where he’d probably still make the same or similar insensitive jokes.

Mike gives me major douchebag vibes to the point where he’d probably still make the same or similar insensitive jokes.
Agree. From the very beginning of his tenure he came across to me as a try-hard. As in trying hard to be "cool", "edgy" (lol) and a peanut who desperately wanted to be liked by the cool kids. A real legume.
Insufferable imo. Offensive and stupid too. Impressive resume.

Agree. From the very beginning of his tenure he came across to me as a try-hard. As in trying hard to be "cool", "edgy" (lol) and a peanut who desperately wanted to be liked by the cool kids. A real legume.
Insufferable imo. Offensive and stupid too. Impressive resume.
Yeah I don’t get his appeal. I also wasn’t surprised when people have said he was an asshole in private.

Yeah I don’t get his appeal. I also wasn’t surprised when people have said he was an asshole in private.
Would be grand to imagine a scenario where you and I happened upon him at some event.
I am generally an even tempered thoughtful individual but what rankles me greatly is the "too big for your own boots" talentless arseholes whose MO is mostly to rip on cheap targets. These are individuals that get the full fuzz gunnery. It has happened IRL on ocassion. I dont and never seek confrontation. But witnessing a true arsehole live demands a call to arms.
Oh How I wish it could have transpired at some point. We'd rip him a new one Kingy.
An unfunny offensive oaf who peddles his humour on the weak, defenceless all the while knowing they cannot recourse.
I dont hate the man as much as Im jestfully portraying. But its more of an affront to me that such a dick got the job to begin with.

Would be grand to imagine a scenario where you and I happened upon him at some event.
I am generally an even tempered thoughtful individual but what rankles me greatly is the "too big for your own boots" talentless arseholes whose MO is mostly to rip on cheap targets. These are individuals that get the full fuzz gunnery. It has happened IRL on ocassion. I dont and never seek confrontation. But witnessing a true arsehole live demands a call to arms.
Oh How I wish it could have transpired at some point. We'd rip him a new one Kingy.
An unfunny offensive oaf who peddles his humour on the weak, defenceless all the while knowing they cannot recourse.
I dont hate the man as much as Im jestfully portraying. But its more of an affront to me that such a dick got the job to begin with.
TBH I’m really not as confrontational in real life as I appear to be on the forums. That is unless I have reason to be. In this case I’d probably be more prone to shit talking from a distance.

Back