Skip to main content

Are millennials the ratings issue?

Eviejames

Is it the new crop of housemate ages that are the issue?
The original demographic that watched big brother would be in their 30s (and 40s) and the only reality shows really geared to this demographic is dating/love ( sans survivor). This new generation are more fixated on live island, Geordie shore and big brother really doesn’t cater to younger folk.

Put some weather beaten older folks in the house with real life experience and live stream it. Push it to a later time slot when us mums put the kids to bed and want to watch something rude, funny and people on the drink who have a bit deeper interaction than sex and tanning. I think that’s why celeb bb uk was so well recieved a lot of folk in their were older there was one token 20 something one or two 30 yr olds and up from there. I’m not talking a aust bb Terri ( oxygen thief) but people with grit.

Casting with the channel 7 era is BORING!
Thoughts?

Is it the new crop of housemate ages that are the issue?
The original demographic that watched big brother would be in their 30s (and 40s) and the only reality shows really geared to this demographic is dating/love ( sans survivor). This new generation are more fixated on live island, Geordie shore and big brother really doesn’t cater to younger folk.

Put some weather beaten older folks in the house with real life experience and live stream it. Push it to a later time slot when us mums put the kids to bed and want to watch something rude, funny and people on the drink who have a bit deeper interaction than s whex and tanning. I think that’s why celeb bb uk was so well recieved a lot of folk in their were older there was one token 20 something one or two 30 yr olds and up from there. I’m not talking a aust bb Terri ( oxygen thief) but people with grit.

Casting with the channel 7 era is BORING!
Thoughts?

No, the issue is 7's boring, repetitive format where each episode is pretty much the same. Look at how popular Love Island UK is, it is the closest thing to the old BB that we have these days.

I’m in my 30s I hate love island uk (I lived in uk when uk bb was on and it shits all over aus)
I don’t want the love story I want the fights, the smoking nook In uk was often where the best convos were.

If I go on celebrity personalities as the kind of ppl I’d love to see
Jimmy barnes
Daniel johns
Tanya hennessy
Miles Cyrus
Shiah leboof
Ursula Carlson
Seth rogan
Sharon osbourne
Russel brand
Bernard tomic
Grace tame
Ryan reynolds
Nicole ritchie
Chloe Geordie shore type
Naomi campbell
Jackie o

I think the shit casting makes the product a larger shit show! I’m so bored with cookie cutter hms. I used to watch old school bb every night without fail this I struggle to get 10 mins into an ep. The challenges are worse than watching paint dry why do I care how long some guy holds a ball in the air for. Pleasssssse.

The blatant disregard for the 21st century audience seem to be the issue for shit ratings. Couldn’t hold an audience the boredom alleviated eith the click of a finger onto a streaming service with worthwhile content

There isn’t really an “issue” you lot hanging onto the past is an issue.
Sorry not sorry for not jumping over the moon with the shallowness that this show has become. It has so much squandered potential. I still expect to keep challenges and strat talk. But they have taken it too far from the essence of what made bb a unique reality show.

The decline in ratings is mainly due to the disrespect and poor treatment of the show. Even general viewers aren’t this stupid to watch this year after year without good reason (the OGs).

Also TV ratings in general are down. People don’t watch TV like we did even just two or three years ago.

If BB is to rate well it needs to not only be treated with the respect it deserves but it also needs to have some sort of online engagement option attached to it. That’s how younger viewers are mostly going to have their attention grabbed.

I agree that the casting can be a bit same-same with some of the housemates, but there are others who would be interesting if we got to see more of them.

I don’t think ‘Millennials’ are the issue. The issue is with Seven’s format and production decisions. Turning this into a generation rant just distracts from the main point of discussion. Also, BB in the Ten and Nine eras had quite a lot of young viewers. The tweens who watched BB in the Nine era would now be in their early 20s, and the tweets who watched in the later Ten years would be in their late 20s. So the ages of the younger housemates would line up with those people. Though I do support having a diverse range of contestant ages.

The decline in ratings is mainly due to the disrespect and poor treatment of the show.
Years of mistreatment of the show. The distaste people have for the show has been building since the noughties. I don’t get a sense like I have with the UK series where the the show has improved to a point where people feel it’s once again viable.

Clearly there is an issue when viewers have abandoned the show on linear TV and even with streaming and regional viewers added in, the show is only getting 750k. Most viewers on social media from the comments I have read are not happy with how little public involvement there is with the current format.

If a show is not building in viewers as it reaches the finale, there is very much an issue. Just look at Masterchef which airs directly against BB, it picked up an extra 100-150k viewers in its final 2 weeks whilst BB's ratings stayed stagnant and some days even went backwards.

That is because in Masterchef the contestants personalities shine through whilst that is not possible in 7's constant strategy talk version of BB

Last edited:
Whatever the real “issue” is the show is suffering for it. For the most part I think there’s a general consensus that editing and the show being pre-recorded has a lot to do with the lack of interest.

Complaints about the competitive format really seem to be secondary. It’s not ideal but it’s not necessarily a deal breaker for some.

I guarantee if the show took the BBUS/BBCAN route of airing in real-time (or as close as possible to real-time) with some sort of live feeds and view input, the competitive format wouldn’t be as much of an issue as it has been.

Telling fans to “get over it” is one of the biggest reasons the current era is tanking. You can’t expect people to stay loyal when you have no respect for where they’re coming from.

Last edited:
The decline in ratings is mainly due to the disrespect and poor treatment of the show. Even general viewers aren’t this stupid to watch this year after year without good reason (the OGs).

Also TV ratings in general are down. People don’t watch TV like we did even just two or three years ago.

If BB is to rate well it needs to not only be treated with the respect it deserves but it also needs to have some sort of online engagement option attached to it. That’s how younger viewers are mostly going to have their attention grabbed.

This. Spot on!

Whatever the real “issue” is the show is suffering for it. For the most part I think there’s a general consensus that editing and the show being pre-recorded has a lot to do with the lack of interest.

Complaints about the competitive format really seem to be secondary. It’s not ideal but it’s not necessarily a deal breaker for some.

I guarantee if the show took the BBUS/BBCAN route of airing in real-time (or as close as possible to real-time) with some sort of live feeds and view input, the competitive format wouldn’t be as much of an issue as it has been.

Telling fans to “get over it” is one of the biggest reasons the current era is tanking. You can’t expect people to stay loyal when you have no respect for where they’re coming from.

And this too. Also spot on!

Millennials is 26-41. I'm in that range. Closer to one end than the other. I don't watch MAFS or Romantic Island.

The problem is that BB creates nothing viral, there's no water cooler talk. No one is dying to talk about what just happened on BB. Being live and showing more could change that. The reason people here cling to the forum is for some group experience. We used to just get that by following the show live.

Back