Skip to main content

How I'd improve Ch7's Big Brother

I am with Timmy and sweet geek on this. It feels anticlimactic for both viewer and housemate to just walk out to nothing. Tully in her podcast said she went back to her hotel room and ordered herself a bottle of bubbly and called her man who was at a work function and hard to get hold of. It's not like they go to ponderosa like American survivor jury does and there are people to talk to. There is nothing. They don't get the hype of hearing that audiences are watching because they know nobody is watching.

OK, I think you guys have swayed me. Based on Tully's story, I suppose the car thing is actually a bit sad. I was on the side of at least we, the viewers, get "something" and it's certainly better than just seeing them drag a suitcase down a hallway. So the car thing was fine by me and I actually didn't mind it. But, yes, based on the valid comments presented here by you and the others, maybe we should go for a stage production thing again. Sadly though, I just can't see TV execs going for it.

Last edited:
Keep in mind we used to have hours more of weekly BB content that wasn't centred around an episode of wipe out.

"... an episode of wipe out". Hahaha. Perhaps the real problem here is that they are calling this show "Big Brother" ... and, as such, we are all expecting a Big Brother show. Maybe if they just called it "Wipe Out" or "Survivor - House Style", and removed the perceptions and expectations about what we think the show is about, then this thing would be watchable. 🤣

There is intended humour in the comment above. But, at the same time, if you think about it, this seriously could be part of the problem. Calling it "Big Brother" makes people think of, well, Big Brother, and therefore they have an expectation of what the show will be; and this show is definitely not that. Renaming it could be the solution. Unfortunately though, doing that will just confirm what we already know ... and that is that "Big Brother" as we used to know it, is, in this country, officially dead.

"... an episode of wipe out". Hahaha. Perhaps the real problem here is that they are calling this show "Big Brother" ... and, as such, we are all expecting a Big Brother show. Maybe if they just called it "Wipe Out" or "Survivor - House Style", and removed the perceptions and expectations about what we think the show is about, then this thing would be watchable. 🤣

There is intended humour in the comment above. But, at the same time, if you think about it, this seriously could be part of the problem. Calling it "Big Brother" makes people think of, well, Big Brother, and therefore they have an expectation of what the show will be; and this show is definitely not that. Renaming it could be the solution. Unfortunately though, doing that will just confirm what we already know ... and that is that "Big Brother" as we used to know it, is, in this country, officially dead.

"Australia's Next top Ninja Housemate."

It is interesting though, there still is so many elements that relate to the Big Brother brand that the format uses. There obviously is a big benefit to licencing the brand as opposed to making a completely new show.

It's actually hard to think if I would watch the show if it was called something else. Hearing Big Brother is back certain gets my interest over, if I heard there was some show called, "Sharehouse wars."

It is interesting though, there still is so many elements that relate to the Big Brother brand that the format uses. There obviously is a big benefit to licencing the brand as opposed to making a completely new show.

It's actually hard to think if I would watch the show if it was called something else. Hearing Big Brother is back certain gets my interest over, if I heard there was some show called, "Sharehouse wars."

"Sharehouse wars."

Great names! 🤣

But, yes, I agree, hearing "Big Brother is back" certain gets my interest up too. And, yes, I think those words ("Big Brother") actually do attract viewers, not to mention that there are indeed elements in this show that are true to it being Big Brother.

Wipeout in a House is probably most accurate. Big Brother it is not.
The crazy thing is, they could totally do this format and make it more BB by giving us more content. Even if it wasn't live. Just give us some daily shows which aren't noms and "Theis Houses floor is lava" challenges. Even if there was just some sort of daily show online to be a companion.

The biggest annoyance is the format dictates the content. Not the life in the house.

The crazy thing is, they could totally do this format and make it more BB by giving us more content. Even if it wasn't live. Just give us some daily shows which aren't noms and "Theis Houses floor is lava" challenges. Even if there was just some sort of daily show online to be a companion.

The biggest annoyance is the format dictates the content. Not the life in the house.
Exactly right, and I've been in favour of a companion show that basically echoes the old format (i.e. just following HM interactions) ever since Seven launched this shithouse version.

Exactly the problem and so easy to fix.
I think you’ve nailed our issues. Although I’d say it dictates the performance rather than content since it centres the challenges as taking the most air time now

Exactly the problem and so easy to fix.
I think you’ve nailed our issues. Although I’d say it dictates the performance rather than content since it centres the challenges as taking the most air time now

All of this. Honestly it wouldn’t hurt to give us like a 20 minute daily show on 7Plus. Just to give some sort of insight into the more interpersonal relationships. Utilise the streaming services more if a lot of 7 day viewership is coming from there. One thing I’ve noticed too is not enough advertising for their content on 7Plus. It’s only when the episodes are airing they bother to promote. So therefore, they’d be lacking in traffic towards 7Plus.

All of this. Honestly it wouldn’t hurt to give us like a 20 minute daily show on 7Plus. Just to give some sort of insight into the more interpersonal relationships. Utilise the streaming services more if a lot of 7 day viewership is coming from there. One thing I’ve noticed too is not enough advertising for their content on 7Plus. It’s only when the episodes are airing they bother to promote. So therefore, they’d be lacking in traffic towards 7Plus.
I don’t think they care to return to this format either given they gave us not 1 but 2 challenges this episode. That’s ridiculous. Why even have hms in a house. Just get these people each week to compete and let them return home.
It makes no difference if they are in the house because we don’t get enough involvement from it anyways

We’re in an era where interactivity has evolved this pre recorded crap doesn’t hit the spot. We want to stream on our phones when we want. Not fed snippets and this cjallenge crap is so boring. Talking about nominations is shit too!

If it’s not broke don’t fix it. The original era was the best it just needs a 21st century take. Interactive, live streams, more ma15+ than for the kids.

We’re in an era where interactivity has evolved this pre recorded crap doesn’t hit the spot. We want to stream on our phones when we want. Not fed snippets and this cjallenge crap is so boring. Talking about nominations is shit too!

If it’s not broke don’t fix it. The original era was the best it just needs a 21st century take. Interactive, live streams, more ma15+ than for the kids.
Problem was. It was broke. Ratings sliding for both Ten at the end and for Nine also.

I completely agree! It just needs a 21st century take for sure. People can watch hours and hours of short videos shorter than 3 minutes. Give the people what they want!

So, here's a question from left field ...

If original Big Brother was this current chanel 7 format, and it's ratings died, and it went off air for a long time and then got rebooted ...

... and the reboot was done with no alliances, no stat chat, no talking about noms, lots of sunbaking and talking about families and girlfriends/boyfriends, lots of footage of housemates sleeping, yada yada ..

... then would we be shitty with it for being too boring. I can hear us now, "Where's the strat chat?" "How do we know who's thinking strategically or who is playing with their heart or head?" "This version is rubbish". "Bring back original Big Brother!"

 
People generally don't like change. If you flip this current incarnation with the original, then I wonder if we would still be having this same discussion in this same thread. Me thinks we would indeed.

Last edited:
So, here's a question from left field ...

If original Big Brother was this current chanel 7 format, and it's ratings died, and it went off air for a long time and then got rebooted ...

... and the reboot was done with no alliances, no stat chat, no talking about noms, lots of sunbaking and talking about families and girlfriends/boyfriends, lots of footage of housemates sleeping, yada yada ..

... then would we be shitty with it for being too boring. I can hear us now, "Where's the strat chat?" "How do we know who's thinking strategically or who is playing with their heart or head?" "This version is rubbish". "Bring back original Big Brother!"

 
People generally don't like change. If you flip this current incarnation with the original, and vice versa, then I wonder if we would still be having this same discussion in this same thread. Me thinks we would indeed.
I see what you’re saying. As humans we are natural whingers (except for bleachy, he is by far the most positive human being I have ever come across, I’m so amazed by it). But I stand by that if all I’m reduced to watching is challenges upon challenges, then I do not understand the point of having a house of hms. There is no point in having them be isolated because the focus is not on that anymore and only on games. There’s no equal balance to this. The whole concept of isolating is to also view the interaction of hms. Even if the game action stuff stays, then the public wants to see the interactions of how they play, real talk not edited stuff in 10 minutes. Bb is giving this side of things less and less time to be seen.

I see what you’re saying. As humans we are natural whingers (except for bleachy, he is by far the most positive human being I have ever come across, I’m so amazed by it). But I stand by that if all I’m reduced to watching is challenges upon challenges, then I do not understand the point of having a house of hms. There is no point in having them be isolated because the focus is not on that anymore and only on games. There’s no equal balance to this. The whole concept of isolating is to also view the interaction of hms. Even if the game action stuff stays, then the public wants to see the interactions of how they play, real talk not edited stuff in 10 minutes. Bb is giving this side of things less and less time to be seen.

You're right. The main reason why I enjoyed BB so much back in the day was because I wanted to see how the HM's interacted with each other and how the dynamics of the group changed and how the individuals coped when friends and enemies got voted out etc. It was about them being isolated from other human contac, how they formed friendships, how those friendships broke down (or not), etc etc. It has some challenges thrown in, but those were not the main focus.

I also agree that we’ve lost the essence of what big brother is - chucking a bunch of strangers into a house, being a representation of society, and watching their social interaction and bonds form. Learning about the housemate’s lives and vulnerabilities. In the early era, we got to know the housemates so well and that’s why those housemates have left such an impression and why the “OGs” concept works. People feel connected to those housemates because we really got to know them. So many interesting people have come and gone in the new era and we haven’t really gotten to know them.

Agree with the sentiments above, that even if we need to have this new game format to keep people interested, we need a platform to actually get to know the people, their stories and lives and normal interactions in the house, that isn’t the 10 min highly edited piece. Whether that’s on an app/website or 7plus or whoever picks this up next. The essence of big brother has been lost, which is why I fell in love with big brother brother the first place. Heck, these days Love Island is more like Big Brother than actual Big Brother. Watching the UK version at the moment and you have daily shows, voting and live interaction and a hand in what happens in the villa/house. Not sure why we can’t have that in Big Brother anymore.

Reggie will win because we actually feel like we know her and love her. She was a part of our lives for 3 months and we laughed and cried with her. We want the best for her. She is “our Reggie”. I can’t say that for any of the new housemates that we’ve had in the 7 era unfortunately. I don’t have any emotional connection with them. Some have “played a great game” which is all they can be judged on because we don’t really know them.

Bringing back a live component with live event television on Sundays is also needed imo.

If this is to return, hopefully more elements from the OG era return. Give the people what they want… the OGs are popular for a reason and that’s because they’re associated with the OG version of BB! The show (especially the 10 era) has always been a big part of my life, enjoying the social interactions and experiment and seeing how these people would form natural relationships in that amplified bubble. The event television and having a say in the outcome of the game week to week.

Hopefully the introduction of OGs this season is the start of introducing OG format in more ways that just nominations.

We need daily content, we need live, we need interaction with the house, we need event television. We can only hope.

Last edited:
Back