Skip to main content

Tim’s game in 2022 - Was it even good?

MattyOj

Tim’s been doing a bit of a victory lap in the media since his eviction. I say victory lap because he’s been touted as one of the greatest players the game has seen, which I don’t disagree with. I’ve found the way he’s played this time around pretty confusing though. Was he actually trying to win? Every move he made seemed to benefit the new players more than his own game. Decisions he made resulted in not only his game ending prematurely, but the game of every single OG (except for Reggie) as well.

To do well in this format you have to be flexible, which Tim was obviously good at. From the moment he got in there he started to cut deals with just about everyone. He also managed to keep these deals from those he was closely aligned with. While the OGs started with fewer numbers, they did have an advantage. Because of their shared experience there was a built in loyalty. Tim chose to shun this loyalty in favour of working with the new players. I’m not against this type of play, however the current version of BB is a numbers game and the divide was clear. It didn’t help that Drew decided to flip from a comfortable position with the OGs to the bottom of the newbies alliance. I guess they both wanted to be ‘naughty’ again? Either way Tim did not choose the more comfortable, guaranteed route to the top 3.

It was obvious at the beginning of the game that Tim really wanted to work with Joel. When Estelle nominated Joel, the biggest challenge threat, Tim called her out in front of the group. It seemed like every move he made from then on undermined the OGs. He encouraged Dave to put up Trevor and then helped the newbies vote him out. He nominated ally Lulu who was evicted. He sent Estelle and Tully’s ally Jules home instead of Drew. All this time the newbies remained solid and loyal to each other. Tim has said in interviews that he wanted them to think of him as a shield. Instead, they saw him as a number to vote his own allies out. After Tully was put up, instead of saving her to stay in the majority, Tim and Drew chose to send her home. The newbies then chucked Drew out like a piece of garbage at the next eviction. Why didn’t Tim pivot at this point and flip back to the OGs who would have voted with him? He’d have still been on the right side of the numbers. He’d been so fixated on removing the OGs that he was now firmly on the bottom (a position he’s no doubt used to 😛). He even let Reggie get rid of Gabbie who had solidly voted with the OGs from the beginning.

By the time he was able to take a shot at Estelle his own game was over. We got to see some moments of brilliance from him trying to influence the newbies in his final episode but they weren’t buying. Why would they? He’d already delivered them the majority they needed so they had no further use for him. There were multiple times throughout the game he could have pulled the numbers back but for some reason he thought it was a good idea to keep Johnson and Aleisha around. To their credit they used his votes as long as they needed to and then discarded him. Taras outplayed him too. Tim’s been bragging in the media that he knew that Taras was a threat early on but Dave and Estelle wouldn’t ‘let’ him vote Taras out. Taras deserves credit for cultivating those relationships and keeping himself safe.

Yes Tim has played great before but didn’t he effectively do the newbies dirty work while fucking his own game and every other OG? It’s kind of ironic that the loyalty Estelle was begging Tim for is what has kept the newbies so strong. I guess doing it his way was more important than actually getting to the end?

Depends what his end goal was as to whether he succeeded or not - As you asked in your first pargraph - was he trying to win? Maybe he had some other motives.

I can’t think of how he could have played any differently to get a better result than 2 shows short of finale?
He really should have been evicted first.

Also @Isee is probably on to something. He knows what makes good TV and has set himself up for a career in the media.

This season, the house dynamic and the relationships between HMs, right from the very early storylines, would never have been as complex without Tim’s involvement.

Love him or hate him, he was an integral part of progressing the season for as long as he did.

Is Tim one of the smartest and best contenders of the global Big Brother family? Yes - I’d say he’s earned his spot amongst the top ten.

I can’t think of how he could have played any differently to get a better result than 2 shows short of finale?

Also @Isee is probably on to something. He knows what makes good TV and has set himself up for a career in the media.
He is kind of our BB eqivalent to Boston Rob - he keeps coming back and is a big character. It is amazing he lasted as long as he did before being taken out.

Tim was at an advantage to the other OG's has he has played this version before & knew he had to make deals as soon as possible

Tim would have been on all the other OG's hit list, so he did well to outlast all but 1 OG.

BB is like survivor, outlast outwit outplay. He did really well seeing as he had a large target on his back.

This season, the house dynamic and the relationships between HMs, right from the very early storylines, would never have been as complex without Tim’s involvement.

Love him or hate him, he was an integral part of progressing the season for as long as he did.

Is Tim one of the smartest and best contenders of the global Big Brother family? Yes - I’d say he’s earned his spot amongst the top ten.

After Tim won, it was virtually the end of BB as we knew it.

Didn’t he come third in the us bb? I mean that was his first time playing that mode of bb and he seemed to do well

He could have worked with the people who were staunchly loyal to him instead of making moves that protected Johnson more than himself. He could have worked with the newbies without their numbers overwhelming him and resulting in his eviction. The only way out for him last episode was to win the challenge. It didn’t need to be that way. Tully and Drew’s evictions were turning points that he could have destabilised the newbies but he chose not to. I think he’s a great character too but he literally fired the shots for them until they no longer needed him. He could have made it to the end.

He is kind of our BB eqivalent to Boston Rob - he keeps coming back and is a big character. It is amazing he lasted as long as he did before being taken out.

Not really when you think about the fact he took out Dave, Trevor, Lulu (by putting her up), Jules, Tully and Estelle. They were great outcomes for Johnson, Aleisha and Taras. The newbies took Tim out once they had a comfortable majority. This is lost in the edit.

I agree with all of this. I’m talking about his specific choices in the game this time.

He could have worked with the people who were staunchly loyal to him instead of making moves that protected Johnson more than himself. He could have worked with the newbies without their numbers overwhelming him and resulting in his eviction. The only way out for him last episode was to win the challenge. It didn’t need to be that way. Tully and Drew’s evictions were turning points that he could have destabilised the newbies but he chose not to. I think he’s a great character too but he literally fired the shots for them until they no longer needed him. He could have made it to the end.
His point is that if he stayed OG strong and there came a time when three OGs were put up, he would have been the one going home. The reason he lasted so long was because of the relationships he developed on both sides of the fence.

I don’t really see a way he could have made it final 3.

Say hypothetically he had stayed loyal to the OG's and they had the majority and it ended up being say 5 or 6 OG's at the end - do you see Tim being one of the final three?

I don’t think you can make a logical justification of his game. The obvious thing to do would be an iron clad OG alliance with an agreement to eliminate all of the newbs before splintering off into smaller alliances and picking off each other. That didn’t happen because it wouldn’t make good TV. Production intervened throughout the nomination and eviction process to make their version of “good” TV. Tim was clearly influenced by the producers. Perhaps he had an arrangement to bow out at top five. After the fact, he’s smart enough to spin it however he likes to make it seem like deliberate strategy, but I’m not so sure.

I think he was after exposure. He probably doesn‘t ‚need‘ to actually win.

Back