Skip to main content

If canceled is BBAU dead?

Disagree - the ratings are a reflection of the shit we're being served up, regardless of what channel it's on.

10 has some great shows that do good number, The Masked Singer, Survivor, HYBPA come to mind.
The masked singer is awful.

One can dream ... they can and should probably take it back to it's roots. In a modern PC world, that would be hard, but not impossible. A "live" house with an appropriate time delay to air so that turkey slap incidents could be blocked from going to air, live feeds (streaming) with appropriate content warnings about possible swearing and nudity etc (perhaps even set up a dedicated subscriber channel where potential viewers sign up completely and fully informed), public votes, proper challenges or "Friday Night Live" style games, and a strict BB who enforces rules and doesn't come across as too friendly or interfere in the natural flow of things. If you want to spice it up, then allow strategic talk and alliances etc (I actually like that format better than having to keep your nomination and voting thoughts to yourself). I don't see a need for ticketed auditorium/crowd evictions, but, that would certainly be the way to raise revenue toward the prize money and production costs (sadly, Covid may have something to say about that though).

Currently, the TV networks seem scared that the old style format will not work in a modern world. It can and will work if BB enforces the rules. As soon as something looks like going in the wrong direction in the house, BB does what BB should do (and did do in the past) ... he steps in and puts an immediate stop to it.

I do also agree with what Kingston said above that there also probably needs to be something new in the mix to keep things exciting and to move the show forward. But, we've not had the "old format" for so long now, that, to many, it might feel like a completely new show and that could be in and of itself the "something new" that people don't yet realise they want.

Disagree - the ratings are a reflection of the shit we're being served up, regardless of what channel it's on.

10 has some great shows that do good number, The Masked Singer, Survivor, HYBPA come to mind.
Fair points. Though the way I see it, since Seven and Nine have more eyeballs in general, there’s potentially better exposure through factors such as advertising and lead-in.

The BB US format had a lot of potential for 7’s version but it has just been a dud.

Basically the show is a poor man’s Survivor. The only thing Big Brother is the name which is why people tuned in the first place but then switched off because it wasn’t Big Brother at all.

If 7 wants to save the show I think they need to do the next season live, have a balanced episode of getting to know housemates, housemate conversations and then the strategic part of the game. Let’s have an eviction show live with Sonia and have a evictee interview. Get rid of the over producing that is happening with this format.

I’m A Celebrity manages to have the camp mates daily life and conversations and fit the daily Tucker Trial in every episode. Big Brother could be benefitted having a similar structure with daily life in the house and the nominations challenge. Right now the whole show is just gameplay and the challenges are too long. Let’s spread out the evictions and nominations challenges so it is not the same thing everyday. BB US only has one evictee each week. They have a weekly structure they follow. 7 should do the same for Australia.

One can dream ... they can and should probably take it back to it's roots. In a modern PC world, that would be hard, but not impossible. A "live" house with an appropriate time delay to air so that turkey slap incidents could be blocked from going to air, live feeds (streaming) with appropriate content warnings about possible swearing and nudity etc (perhaps even set up a dedicated subscriber channel where potential viewers sign up completely and fully informed), public votes, proper challenges or "Friday Night Live" style games, and a strict BB who enforces rules and doesn't come across as too friendly or interfere in the natural flow of things. If you want to spice it up, then allow strategic talk and alliances etc (I actually like that format better than having to keep your nomination and voting thoughts to yourself). I don't see a need for ticketed auditorium/crowd evictions, but, that would certainly be the way to raise revenue toward the prize money and production costs (sadly, Covid may have something to say about that though).

Currently, the TV networks seem scared that the old style format will not work in a modern world. It can and will work if BB enforces the rules. As soon as something looks like going in the wrong direction in the house, BB does what BB should do (and did do in the past) ... he steps in and puts an immediate stop to it.

I do also agree with what Kingston said above that there also probably needs to be something new in the mix to keep things exciting and to move the show forward. But, we've not had the "old format" for so long now, that, to many, it might feel like a completely new show and that could be in and of itself the "something new" that people don't yet realise they want.

The Turkey Slap incident never went to air. Somebody watching the live stream at 3-4 in the morning gave the footage to Channel 7 and 9 who showed it on their news and shows like Today Tonight and A Current Affair.

I’m A Celebrity manages to have the camp mates daily life and conversations and fit the daily Tucker Trial in every episode. Big Brother could be benefitted having a similar structure with daily life in the house and the nominations challenge. Right now the whole show is just gameplay and the challenges are too long. Let’s spread out the evictions and nominations challenges so it is not the same thing everyday. BB US only has one evictee each week. They have a weekly structure they follow. 7 should do the same for Australia.

I'm not sure and am happy to be corrected, but isn't "I'm a celebrity" created and produced by the original people who did live BB back in the day?

Fair points. Though the way I see it, since Seven and Nine have more eyeballs in general, there’s potentially better exposure through factors such as advertising and lead-in.
True, but there's a million different ways to advertise these days. With the exception of BB, I NEVER watch Channel 7, but BB was being advertised all over my Facebook, Instagram and even side banners on news.com.au, so even if I wasn't interested, I'd know it was on.

I think 10 do reality TV the best, and there is still a market for 'live' TV. They currently shoot IAC, turn it around in 24 hours and air it the next night, hosted live by Chris & Julia, so there is no reason why BB can't be the same. I acknowledge that the game play element must remain, but audience participation is a must.

The Turkey Slap incident never went to air. Somebody watching the live stream at 3-4 in the morning gave the footage to Channel 7 and 9 who showed it on their news and shows like Today Tonight and A Current Affair.

Ah yes. That does ring a bell now (it's been a while since that event and my memory is hazy). Well, I am not 100% sure how streaming works, but, if they are filming in the house and streaming it to the Internet, then surely the same applies where you can have a delay and someone in a control room ... a middle-man between the filming and the Internet ... who can halt the stream before it makes it online.

I do think that’s it for Big Brother in Australia if it is cancelled again.

The only chance I think it would come back if it was rebooted to 10 with the original format and advertised Big Brother is coming back home. (Like @the Theorist mentioned above)

There is an appetite in Australia for “Big Brother” but for the original show that was fondly remembered. That is why there was so much interest when 7 announced the show was coming back in 2019. It was reported network executives were very surprised with the interest which just tells me they are out of touch with what the viewers would want.

They can’t do half assed Big Brother anymore. What’s the point? Do Big Brother right or don’t bother. I have lost my patience for inadequate Big Brother and I think Australia feels the same.

I wouldn’t be mad if they basically replicated the format of BBCAN.
Since BBCAN is essentially BBUSA, I don't know how that would go down in Australia. Didn't Nine, or one of the sub channels, air CBBUSA and it was a complete flop? Though I guess that could've been from the houseguests' lack of notoriety in AU rather than Australians rejecting the format...

Ah yes. That does ring a bell now (it's been a while since that event and my memory is hazy). Well, I am not 100% sure how streaming works, but, if they are filming in the house and streaming it to the Internet, then surely the same applies where you can have a delay and someone in a control room ... a middle-man between the filming and the Internet ... who can halt the stream before it makes it online.
They can absolutely do that. They could have a 30 minute delay. The US ones used to switch to fish cam or something didn't they whenever they didn't want to show stuff live. I haven't watched that since 2006 so a bit hazy on that (may have been some actual haze involved back then, too).

I'd love to see it to return to TEN. Realistically that won't happen. I'd rather it just stay dead and be something iconic to remember rather than watch it be destroyed a third time.

Along with a 24/7 live feed (on a short delay) on the internets, perhaps by paid subscription, televoting again, to make some more moolah, I want a 2-3 hour nightly Up Late show on one of the secondary channels with audience interaction, where you can log on and pay to get the HMs to do stuff live. There would be so much money for the network in that and way more audience engagement, and it would give the HMs something fun to do. And Gretel back to host.

Arguably this version being so different does open the door for a future version to be sold on a return to the original format, which really would work from a marketing perspective for Ten anyway. Nowadays shows seem to get revived 5 minutes after they ended too.

I wonder though if like Nine whether Seven will have a lengthy opt period should they axe the show. It was ridiculous that Nine seemed to have the rights to prevent anyone else showing Big Brother for a longer period than they actually showed Big Brother (5 years vs 3 years), with Seven pretty much snapping it up as soon as Nine's option on the format expired.

Back