Skip to main content

The day after thoughts.

Did YOU enjoy the 2020 season of Big Brother Australia?

• Yes, This BB was amazing!

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • No, This BB was awful!

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Maybe, This BB was mixed!

Votes: 37 50.7%

• Total voters

Gayspie

Hi Everyone.
I have spent the day pondering up my thoughts for the just finished Big Brother season 2020 and here they are:

The GOOD - Give credit where it's due:

1) Kudos to Channel 7 for taking a massive risk and reviving a contraversial series that has been cancelled twice before on Australian TV.
2) Hats off to endemol Australia for overhauling the Big Brother format to better reflect the contempary media climate.
3) Shorter season run time which does not drag on for months.
4) Housemates voting which removes the need for extra cameramen, security, insurance, crowd facilities, voting services, etc that live evictions require.
5) Mostly consistent timing when compared to season 2014 on Channel 9 which meant episodes were harder to miss.
6) Really nice Big Brother house which looks great on TV.
7) Cracker cast which included people from all walks of life.
8) Some rather creative nominations challenges like the chair game which provided plenty of laughs.
9) Sonia Kruger, once she was unshackled from the autocue during the live finale, actually showed a lot of potential to become a great long term host.

The BAD - There's always room for Improvement:

1) The series was pre recorded months ago which gave producers too long to create fake storylines.
2) Too many non-nominations challenges like secret missions and daily tasks which gave us barely any time to get to know the housemates.
3) Online voting information was a shambles which meant lots of people probably missed out on casting a ballot.
4) The music added in post production was over done which detracted from the viewing experience.
5) No theme song at all of which is an integral part of any Big Brother series.
6) Too many twists which seemed to favor producers most liked housmates of Kieran and Angela.
7) Launch show was very rushed with no house tour and no explanation of the new format.
8) Too much communication with the outside world which featured letters from home after only 17 days.
9) Eye spy was a quickly cobbled together side show which was filled with out of sync audio most weeks.

On a side note, it has been a pleasure to start most of our daily episode threads this season and i love you all, even @Kingston who is still a king pest!
What do you think of my Big Brother 2020 series summation everyone?

Last edited:
Agreed with most of the good points made above, but to me an integral part of the show is having it live and audience involvement. Overall, good and somewhat impressive first attempt by 7 which seemed to pay off for them. Hopefully the longer filming length next year means they are taking on feedback and open for improvement. I think alot could be learned from this season in terms of what works well and what doesn't. I think after the slaughtering the show has gone through with the past two networks, the controversial past of the show has somewhat faded, after nine's run, seven shouldn't have even worried about it tbh, then again probably just an excuse as to why they didn't film live.

BBUSA finally having a live launch show after 20 years, despite being in a middle of a pandemic, is a reminder there is no excuse at all for pre-recording Big Brother. Live can actually make things simpler - and actually many of the shows problems this year were made in the editing suite.

In the context of this pre-recorded Big Brother many problems would be solved by having a two episode cycle in the early rounds at least, and the game would be improved by having time between the nomination challenge and the nominations, and more time between the nominations and evictions too. The three key elements shouldn't all be filmed on the same day. However even if they keep the eviction per episode cycle I do think they need to have the launch show as just that to introduce the housemates - then begin an endurance Noms Challenge at the end which carries over to the second episode.

I’m so happy with the outcome overall this season has been so good to watch and I can’t wait for season 13

To preface, I stopped watching after Angela was evicted. There was no point after that.

I disagree about a shorter show being better. The best part of Big Brother is the pressur cooker environment, which really only starts from the halfway mark. It's supposed to be three months, they did 1.5 months. That's a holiday, not an experiment.

-The house was an Ikea sample. Literally you couldn't see the bathroom it was so half done
- Not being live is an absolute no-no
- Audience should vote them out. If they vote each other out they don't need to perform for camera as much. As we saw this season they were boring as hell. When contestants are aware the audience votes for them, they play it up more. Thus, more entertaining.
- We need more lively characters. Right wingers, SJWs,strippers, circus performers.
- 5 nights a week needs to come back
- Two people a week vote out MAXIMUM. Having evictions every second day keeps contestants in a high alert gameplay mode, rather than social interaction mode. Which results in, as we saw, boring as hell footage.
- Sonia needs to go. She is reading lines. We need a House Mother type approach like Gretel used to be. Engaging, motherly to the housemates.
- 7Plus live feeds
- Big Brother voice needs to go back to being more sinister and foreboding. And needs to stop overly engaging with housemates. He's supposed to be an ominous prescence, not a friend.
- Bring Angela back as an intruder to help with ratings

Aaaaaand that's all I got. Overall a TERRIBLE season of big brother. 2/10. 2 for ANgela.

In the context of this pre-recorded Big Brother many problems would be solved by having a two episode cycle in the early rounds at least, and the game would be improved by having time between the nomination challenge and the nominations, and more time between the nominations and evictions too. The three key elements shouldn't all be filmed on the same day. However even if they keep the eviction per episode cycle I do think they need to have the launch show as just that to introduce the housemates - then begin an endurance Noms Challenge at the end which carries over to the second episode.

The launch show was just tragic. It started out ok, but when they started 'fast forwarding' through some of the entrances and started chopping up the edit like there was no tomorrow, it got bad fast. At least, introduce EVERY housemate PROPERLY on day 1. And just let the cameras roll around their natural 'getting to know one another' conversations for gawd sakes. It's actually cheaper and faster than adding in little musical montages and showing off some inappropriate editing techniques. We didn't even get introduced to some of them, like Xavier, and half of them didn't get their packages until episode 2 or 3. It very much has the same issues that Survivor AU has suffered in showcasing the personalities, but for a show like Big Brother, getting to know ALL the people on day 1 is much more important.

Hi Everyone.
I have spent the day pondering up my thoughts for the just finished Big Brother season 2020 and here they are:

The GOOD - Give credit where it's due:

1) Kudos to Channel 7 for taking a massive risk and reviving a contraversial series that has been cancelled twice before on Australian TV.
2) Hats off to endemol Australia for overhauling the Big Brother format to better reflect the contempary media climate.
3) Shorter season run time which does not drag on for months.
4) Housemates voting which removes the need for extra cameramen, security, insurance, crowd facilities, voting services, etc that live evictions require.
5) Mostly consistent timing when compared to season 2014 on Channel 9 which meant episodes were harder to miss.
6) Really nice Big Brother house which looks great on TV.
7) Cracker cast which included people from all walks of life.
8) Some rather creative nominations challenges like the chair game which provided plenty of laughs.
9) Sonia Kruger, once she was unshackled from the autocue during the live finale, actually showed a lot of potential to become a great long term host.

The BAD - There's always room for Improvement:

1) The series was pre recorded months ago which gave producers too long to create fake storylines.
2) Too many non-nominations challenges like secret missions and daily tasks which gave us barely any time to get to know the housemates.
3) Online voting information was a shambles which meant lots of people probably missed out on casting a ballot.
4) The music added in post production was over done which detracted from the viewing experience.
5) No theme song at all of which is an integral part of any Big Brother series.
6) Too many twists which seemed to favor producers most liked housmates of Kieran and Angela.
7) Launch show was very rushed with no house tour and no explanation of the new format.
8) Too much communication with the outside world which featured letters from home after only 17 days.
9) Eye spy was a quickly cobbled together side show which was filled with out of sync audio most weeks.

On a side note, it has been a pleasure to start most of our daily episode threads this season and i love you all, even @Kingston who is still a king pest!
What do you think of my Big Brother 2020 series summation everyone?
I agree with most of what you said, the only one I am different is:
Number 3. I would like a longer season, but of course the type of the old BB, this one was more than long enough, lol

A host should not be showing potential at the end of their fourth season. It's time to go...
Has anyone here considered that the reason why Sonia was not the best host in the past seasons is because channel 9 are a centre left wing media outlet and the producers were scared shitless that if we give her free reign she may say something offensive towards minority groups. However the current broadcaster of Big Brother channel 7 is owned by rupert murdoch so the producers there might be less concerned about Sonia going off script and offending the minority groups in the process hence allowing her more hosting independance?

Last edited:
Has anyone here considered that the reason why Sonia was not the best host in the past seasons is because channel 9 are a left wing media outlet and the producers were scared shitless that if we give her free reign she may say something offensive towards minority groups. However the current broadcaster of Big Brother channel 7 is owned by rupert murdoch so the producers there might be less concerned about Sonia going off script and offending the minority groups in the process hence allowing her more hosting independance?

Channel nine isn't a left wing media outlet. And I don't think Murdoch owns 7.

Back