Skip to main content

Masterchef 2020

I'm enjoying these judges too. I've even warmed to Melissa now.
Jock was funny with the blind tasting. I like they have a funny side to them.
Haven't seen the end yet, so wondering who went!

Bugger, I had to pause due to an overseas video chat with my family, decided to wait to watch the last bit until later, then what happened, the morning show announced it!

Out of all the judges, I trust Mel more.

With the old judges I always trusted Matt more. The professional chefs are more likely to be won over by difficult techniques and on-trend presentation. The food writers come from the perspective of a diner, not the chef/restaurateur.

With the old judges I always trusted Matt more. The professional chefs are more likely to be won over by difficult techniques and on-trend presentation. The food writers come from the perspective of a diner, not the chef/restaurateur.

Same.

Reece has spoken out in Reynold's defence (over homophobic comments), saying that they are still good friends and that Reynold has explained and apologised, and is a different person to what he was in 2014.

That's good to hear but I wish he would also make a public apology on his Instagram (not just in the article which is only because the writer reached out to him for comments) and also do something really nice like a pledge of something e.g. all profits of a certain dessert in his restaurant going to an LGBTQ charity or something. Instead he's just kept quiet on Instagram and shut off comments for a while and then emerged again after things have died down.

That's good to hear but I wish he would also make a public apology on his Instagram (not just in the article which is only because the writer reached out to him for comments) and also do something really nice like a pledge of something e.g. all profits of a certain dessert in his restaurant going to an LGBTQ charity or something. Instead he's just kept quiet on Instagram and shut off comments for a while and then emerged again after things have died down.

I don't think everyone needs to issue a public apology for every little bad thing they have done in the past.

It seems like it was Laura's turn to win immunity.

IMO: Poh was ripped off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyf
It seems like it was Laura's turn to win immunity.

IMO: Poh was ripped off.

Yes, you could tell it was her turn from all the times she said so.
I'm not sure she deserved to, her dish looked like it would taste ok but lacked the technique of Poh's.

I don't think everyone needs to issue a public apology for every little bad thing they have done in the past.

Well, most things haven't been made public, in this case it has and because he is fairly well-known, as a result many people in the LGBTQ community, some of whom were fans of his, have seen the comments and find them vicious/hurtful. You may be right that an apology is not needed - in that many things are not really "needed" in that sense. But it would be a nice gesture, regardless.

Last edited:
Just at the end of last night's episode. That way of picking their ingredients was good to watch.
Have reads above Ooh didn't win, but that doesn't worry me, that's my fault for leaving it so long.

That was a hard one to call. I guess you'd need to taste it.
Wasn't sure Callums would have won it anyway.
I've really enjoyed this season.

Wowwww. More of these types of cases should be brought to light. I think most girls/women have been groped like that at some point in their lives but the perpetrators just get away with it (and usually they're not recognisable like Ben which helps their anonymity), especially as it's seen as a mild case of "just groping" so it goes unreported plus if there aren't witnesses what can you do... sadly.

Tessa : 'I'm really happy'. NOT happy Jan.

Reynold could serve up freeze-dried snot and still sail through.
Isn't it a bit leading to TELL him he's missing a sponge? For most contestants all they'd get is a 'are you sure you're not missing something?', not have it spelled out exactly what it is.

Had to come here to find out who left as once again my recording stopped just as they were critisising Tessa's dish. I figured though it would have been her.
All those ads suggesting Reynold could be going shouts very loudly that he wouldn't be going.
Laughed out loud at " Reynold could serve up freeze-dried snot and still sail through." @Meglos 😂
And yes, a massive hint about the sponge!

I'm just happy Poh was safe, she is such an unbelievable star. So likeable and charismatic, plus a clever and interesting cook.

Pity so many people seem to hate her just because she gets lots of screen time.

I saw on Masterchef Australia Facebook last night people were saying that she just made lettuce cups / sang choy bao so it wasn't anything unique. What? Just because something was served on lettuce doesn't make it sang choy bao (and this is why diverse cultural representation is important). What she made was kind of a dry shrimp curry with sago dumplings and then served it with lettuce and pineapple for fresh salad elements. It's definitely an unusual combination, and equating it to sang choy bao is like saying chilli con carne and shakshuka are the same thing because they both use tomatoes as a base.

Haha and tonight's Facebook complaints about Poh is that her roti was "undercooked". It was actually cooked through, it's just the brown bits weren't as brown as hoped. Not the biggest deal if everything else was stellar, and if other contestants' dishes weren't even close to as delicious as hers was overall.

There was also a bit of blowback on Twitter from the Indian community about Tessa’s dish having too much flavour. Also made the very valid point that if the sauce was overpowering maybe that was because the judges put too much of it into their tacos.

Back