Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2020 - Episode 7 Discussion (21 June)

Should Angela have been saved from certain eviction last episode?

• Yes, She is awesome.

Votes: 49 59.8%
  • No, This was rigged.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Hmm, It might all turn out okay after all.

Votes: 14 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saving Angela with a twist after she was evicted was bad enough, but at least she was entertaining and playing the game. What we saw tonight was the most blatant manipulation I've ever seen on Big Brother - and all the more baffling for what an interesting character Kieran is. They actually sacrificed a much more interesting and strategic player for him.

Firstly the bunker twist was crap. Angela clearly had no power at all - she wasn't getting to choose who did what tasks, all she was doing is potentially deciding the order they'd do what producers had decided they'd do in. Of course Kieran gets the most airtime - everytime something happens it is his opinion we see.

The nomination challenge was quite interesting and revealing, but the producers are killing this show through manipulation to favour a housemate who doesn't deserve it. I was ridiculously angry watching that - it was clearly a panic move by producers, using Angela as cover, rather than a thought through twist. It would have been less annoying if they'd just stuck Kieran in the bunker at the end, and actually really annoying they didn't do that with Ian - firstly as he didn't deserve to be sacrificed for Kieran, and secondly as him and Angela in there for a day or two would be so awkward.

The Kieran narrative is tiresome though. Virtually the whole eviction segment was about him and him being so "strategic", but we've not seen a single example of him being strategic during the game. He couldn't even be arsed "scrambling" for votes this time. In manipulating the vote producers sacrificed a player who had actually proven to be strategic - he can compete, he nominated strategically and he got the biggest threat out of the house, even though he considered her a friend. He's also got himself into the "Alpha" alliance of the game - we've not seen anything of how that happened but it shows he was there to play. Garth has clearly shown himself to be strategic too, and Dan is trying to play the game. There is also clearly a fairly strong newbies + Marrisa alliance, and even Chad and Sophie, painted as little more than a showmance by the show, are clearly playing too with the move made tonight. Heck, if anything the only person in that house not playing the game is Kieran - that's why if they removed him nobody would notice, and no doubt about it the show would begin to kick on once he is gone.

The narrative may have got out there pre-season that the housemates were crap, but pretty clear to see that is producers trying to shift the blame. It is there manipulation that is ruining the game - had they let it play out more naturally I think viewers would have been rewarded for it, even if it is a bit of a slowburn.

Last edited:
It was satisfying to see a blindside pulled off tonight 🙂 (though I don’t know how to feel about the “outside” influence to make that happen at this moment in time)

Angela’s “revenge” was a non-event. Seemed like recycled content from previous seasons but I did enjoy Garth getting pissed at being the butler.

Not much Xavier. 🙁

I missed the old days of Big Brother tonight. This show isn’t what it used to be. I know times change though. I enjoyed watching the housemates getting annoyed by Kieran for being a slob. Saw a bit of “daily life” footage in there.

Who hasn’t had a video package so far? I have a theory that any one who hasn’t had their package played yet will be safe from being evicted?

Went through the HM’s: Xavier and Casey’s packages we haven’t seen yet.

Did we ever see Danni’s? That ruins my whole theory if we didn’t though. I think everyone else’s we have seen with Matt on the latest ep. I guess Casey and Xavier’s will be played this week.

Saving Angela with a twist after she was evicted was bad enough, but at least she was entertaining and playing the game. What we saw tonight was the most blatant manipulation I've ever seen on Big Brother - and all the more baffling for what an interesting character Kieran is. They actually sacrificed a much more interesting and strategic player for him.

Firstly the bunker twist was crap. Angela clearly had no power at all - she wasn't getting to choose who did what tasks, all she was doing is potentially deciding the order they'd do what producers had decided they'd do in. Of course Kieran gets the most airtime - everytime something happens it is his opinion we see.

The nomination challenge was quite interesting and revealing, but the producers are killing this show through manipulation to favour a housemate who doesn't deserve it. I was ridiculously angry watching that - it was clearly a panic move by producers, using Angela as cover, rather than a thought through twist. It would have been less annoying if they'd just stuck Kieran in the bunker at the end, and actually really annoying they didn't do that with Ian - firstly as he didn't deserve to be sacrificed for Kieran, and secondly as him and Angela in there for a day or two would be so awkward.

The Kieran narrative is tiresome though. Virtually the whole segment was about him and him being so "strategic", but we've not seen a single example of him being strategic during the game. He couldn't even be arsed "scrambling" for votes this time. In manipulating the vote producers sacrificed a player who had actually proven to be strategic - he can compete, he nominated strategically and he got the biggest threat out of the house, even though he considered her a friend. He's also got himself into the "Alpha" alliance of the game - we've not seen anything of how that happened but it shows he was there to play. Garth has clearly shown himself to be strategic too, and Dan is trying to play the game. There is also clearly a fairly strong newbies + Marrisa alliance, and even Chad and Sophie, painted as little more than a showmance by the show, are clearly playing too with the move made tonight. Heck, if anything the only person in that house not playing the game is Kieran - that's why if they removed him nobody would notice, and no doubt about it the show would begin to kick on once he is gone.

The narrative may have got out there pre-season that the housemates were crap, but pretty clear to see that is producers trying to shift the blame. It is there manipulation that is ruining the game - had they let it play out more naturally I think viewers would have been rewarded for it, even if it is a bit of a slowburn.
You know what I’m thinking now. Perhaps Ian was always going to go the minute he was nominated.
I mean, they all keep referring to Kieren as the dead man walking or the dead mouse in the corner.
Perhaps Zoe thought her alliance was stronger / larger / more powerful than it is. I rewatched it and it appears Garth had to do very little convincing. In fact on rewatch it seems like Garth was just confirming what they may have already talked about. Perhaps the producers, as opposed to manipulating the situation to save Kieren, manipulated the footage a bit to make it LOOK like their Angela twist changed the outcome but in reality there already was blood in the water and the tide has turned against the cool kids clique in the house already.

The Kieran narrative is tiresome though. Virtually the whole segment was about him and him being so "strategic", but we've not seen a single example of him being strategic during the game. He couldn't even be arsed "scrambling" for votes this time. In manipulating the vote producers sacrificed a player who had actually proven to be strategic - he can compete, he nominated strategically and he got the biggest threat out of the house, even though he considered her a friend. He's also got himself into the "Alpha" alliance of the game - we've not seen anything of how that happened but it shows he was there to play. Garth has clearly shown himself to be strategic too, and Dan is trying to play the game. There is also clearly a fairly strong newbies + Marrisa alliance, and even Chad and Sophie, painted as little more than a showmance by the show, are clearly playing too with the move made tonight. Heck, if anything the only person in that house not playing the game is Kieran - that's why if they removed him nobody would notice, and no doubt about it the show would begin to kick on once he is gone.

👏👏👏👏👏

I think it is the editing that puts me off. It feels a bit messy. Was that the same scene of Angela’s laugh played over and over again?

I feel like it’s missing something. Are we missing scenes that would give it a better structure?

It’s too fast paced at some points then too slow in others (like the challenges? which aren’t that captivating and gets boring after 5 minutes)

This is only the first season so I hope it will improve in the next couple of years and becomes something great.

You know what I’m thinking now. Perhaps Ian was always going to go the minute he was nominated.
I mean, they all keep referring to Kieren as the dead man walking or the dead mouse in the corner.
Perhaps Zoe thought her alliance was stronger / larger / more powerful than it is. I rewatched it and it appears Garth had to do very little convincing. In fact on rewatch it seems like Garth was just confirming what they may have already talked about. Perhaps the producers, as opposed to manipulating the situation to save Kieren, manipulated the footage a bit to make it LOOK like their Angela twist changed the outcome but in reality there already was blood in the water and the tide has turned against the cool kids clique in the house already.

Interesting theory - ruins mine but it is a point well made and just shows how not having a live feed means we don't know what's going on. They'll be virtually no follow up tomorrow either as to why Ian went - all we'll get is Kieran's perspective on being saved.

Interesting theory - ruins mine but it is a point well made and just shows how not having a live feed means we don't know what's going on. They'll be virtually no follow up tomorrow either as to why Ian went - all we'll get is Kieran's perspective on being saved.
Yeah, and loads of lizard tongue shots.

It is an unkind edit, for someone they are so desperate to keep in and place at the forefront of the non-narrative of his 'journey' in the house.

The Kieran narrative is tiresome though. Virtually the whole eviction segment was about him and him being so "strategic", but we've not seen a single example of him being strategic during the game. He couldn't even be arsed "scrambling" for votes this time. In manipulating the vote producers sacrificed a player who had actually proven to be strategic - he can compete, he nominated strategically and he got the biggest threat out of the house, even though he considered her a friend. He's also got himself into the "Alpha" alliance of the game - we've not seen anything of how that happened but it shows he was there to play. Garth has clearly shown himself to be strategic too, and Dan is trying to play the game. There is also clearly a fairly strong newbies + Marrisa alliance, and even Chad and Sophie, painted as little more than a showmance by the show, are clearly playing too with the move made tonight. Heck, if anything the only person in that house not playing the game is Kieran - that's why if they removed him nobody would notice, and no doubt about it the show would begin to kick on once he is gone.

Sadly I agree with all what you said. I was looking forward to Sunday but was really really disappointed. As you said Angela didn't have real power.
The manipulation was too obvious. I knew the show would be heavily manipulated but I would have liked it to be less obvious.
I wanted Angela to have real power, to see, hear and act revenge on them, but there was nothing :( In the past when that happened it was so much better, people had power and it was fun to watch

I think it is the editing that puts me off. It feels a bit messy. Was that the same scene of Angela’s laugh played over and over again?

I feel like it’s missing something. Are we missing scenes that would give it a better structure?

It’s too fast paced at some points then too slow in others (like the challenges? which aren’t that captivating and gets boring after 5 minutes)

This is only the first season so I hope it will improve in the next couple of years and becomes something great.
I love watching Angela but her laugh yesterday was too much for me, I wanted to mute my TV, it was annoying and in the end didn't seem real, maybe it was the fact that they kept on and on repeating it, I blame the editor not Angela

Good point. Also this angled glass is not 100% perfect at hiding where the cameras are stationed on the other side inside the camera runs. For instance, the living area:
View attachment 55598
(N.B. This screenshot has been brightened to make the cameras easier for you to spot. I casually noticed a camera like shape through the glass on the original image but after brightening it up ready to share I then noticed a second further to the right of it)
Yeah I noticed that a number of times last night. You could see a lot of the cameras behind the glass in multiple rooms

Agreed. I was a bit shocked when Garth walked up to the "alt" group who were outside and they were all like "yeh definitely"! There was barely any discussion on it at all, it was just like that's that haha! Also, I was surprised that Angela & Garth's meetup was so brief, when he had 10 minutes.. Garth seemed to be onboard immediately with little to no persuasion. Do we think it was cut short for the edit and that Angela actually gave Garth a full backstory on what the alliances were ? It's a little disappointing that the resistance seemed as hard as pushing a domino over, but that's ok because if Kieran had gone, the house dynamics would be rather morbid - the next episode if Angela doesn't (didn't) win the challenge it would more than likely be Angela to go, and then Tuesday night would be Marissa, predictable and boring as paint drying and we could have just fast forwarded the whole thing to next week.

Was that the same scene of Angela’s laugh played over and over again?

From memory, they replayed a few of the bigger cackles, but there were lots of variations and different moments. The little clip accompanying James Weir's recap features several different laughs. I also think it summarises her role in influencing BB in that task. She just makes a little comment and then BB intones the instructions. It's a good fun recap, too.

There was a moment earlier in the episode where Garth brought up voting strategically but was shut down by Dan's alliance so Angela's little pep talk might have inspired him to not go the easy vote. I think Garth is fully aware of the alliances in the house.

Interestingly we only saw Dan, Casey, Matt, and Zoe who really wanted Kieran out. When Zoe said she wanted to put up Kieran, Sarah was surprised because she wasn't even thinking about putting him up. So maybe people like Chad, Hannah, Shane, and Sophie felt the same way too?

I am finding it fascinating how much Casey dislikes Kieran. Seems personal rather than strategic.

Ian's the kind of housemate that is wasted in this format of Big Brother. You'd like to get to know him, how he relates to the other housemates much more than is possible in this format.

I think Dan taking him under seemed genuine, but honestly I have no clue. We've seen a couple of interactions where it seems Dan is making an effort, but motivations could be genuine or game playing. We don't know. Ian is never really hanging around in the cool group though.

There's something off putting about the focus people have against Kieran. I can see the annoyance at someone who is a bit useless at chores and cooking. However it comes off more like they just think they're better than him. His presence in an insult to them. There's something really icky about the way Zoe and some others talk about him. Where it appears they just think they're so much better and a lot of the complaints are just excuses. It seems very immature.

Ang as Little Sister was a bit of a waste, although her laughing surely made the tasks more amusing, but I can get why people think it was over done.

giphy.gif

I understand peoples issues with the manipulation of Garth and the producers seemingly interfering, but at the end of the day, this isn't a pure Big Brother show. It's more interesting to shake things up. How quickly everyone switched to Ian just shows how lame everyone is at playing the game. Just going along with what the "think they're cool" group. It's not interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back