Skip to main content

2020 Ratings Thread

Not expecting much ratings wise, I think the marketing has been somewhat wrong. To me, regardless of what you think of the new format, it is not appealing to the young target market it is trying to bring in. Ratings for the launch have me torn, it could do average numbers (e.g. 650k) or rise close to a million, I'm really not sure. However, don't see ratings going over 600K past the first few nights. It seems 7 has a lot writing on BB, I think even average ratings may secure a renewal, even if it means re-verting back to a older format in future years.

I am hoping the ratings are high enough to get it another year, but not so high that they don't listen to the feedback of audience and fans. I guess it will also depend on the world by this time next year as to what is possible in terms of filming, intruders etc.

If they did a summer season, do you think there might be room for tweaking the format?
I’d like them to make the summer series somewhat of a special edition (All Stars, Celebrity or Streamlined ”BB Classic” format), Now I’ve thought about it more, I think 7 poaching Love Island Australia from 9 is their way of making a “summer big brother” but toward a younger audience, Idk why else they picked it up when it was rating 400k on FTA and in the millions on 9Now apart from using it to fill summer non ratings with after BBL flopped on them. I just hope they get rid of Mavrodaikis as EP, I think his outdated taste in people and interior design really drags his shows down. The camera quality is also always awful on his shows, so grainy..

I think even average ratings may secure a renewal, even if it means re-verting back to a older format in future years.
House Rules averaged ~700k last year and was renewed, 7 have invested a lot in BBAU and I think they will renew it to see how they can iron out this year’s creases (e.g poor casting)

MAFS AU started out with the international format but endemol and 9 tweaked it to suit what their audience felt was lacking and completely revamped it into the beast it is now. I imagine similar happening with BB2021

Launch night Estimate - 1 000 000
Mid season Estimate - 600 000
Finale night Estimate - 800 000

The trouble I have with this is we need it to be at a level which encourages them to renew, but also a level that encourages them to do it live next year.

If it does well they'll be no reason for Seven to change the format, and if it doesn't they'll be no reason for them to throw more money at it should it be recommissioned, so fear we're in a Catch 22.

House Rules averaged ~700k last year and was renewed, 7 have invested a lot in BBAU and I think they will renew it to see how they can iron out this year’s creases (e.g poor casting)

MAFS AU started out with the international format but endemol and 9 tweaked it to suit what their audience felt was lacking and completely revamped it into the beast it is now. I imagine similar happening with BB2021
I totally agree, to me it seems 7 really want BB to be staple that MAFS is to 9 or MKR was to 7. 7 knows Big Brother is a proven formula. If the new format doesn't work I just hope 7 isn't too headstrong not to re-vert back to what made BB such a hit.

I totally agree, to me it seems 7 really want BB to be staple that MAFS is to 9 or MKR was to 7. 7 knows Big Brother is a proven formula. If the new format doesn't work I just hope 7 isn't too headstrong not to re-vert back to what made BB such a hit.

Reverting back to the original format so soon would be a massive mistake. Especially when there are so many other variables that could easily change and produce similar results.

The competition that bb is facing with the voice and Masterchef is concerning.

I feel like people won’t give it a go and I feel like people should at least give it a chance before writing it off.

4 housemates from Seven’s stronghold in Perth which will guarantee ratings there

Looking at an online TV guide, looks like The Voice will only air on Sunday and Monday from next week? Re-runs of Kath and Kim airing on Nine next Tues at 7.30pm.

So perhaps BB has made the decision to run Mon-Weds for less competition?

Also, as expected, looks like BB will be from 7.30-9pm (1.5hr eps).

Can 7 get their shit together for a minute and decide what they want to do?

aiming for younger audience:
- casts housemates with average age of 30
- markets the show through 7 news and online magazines
- little to no notable social media presence
- runs until 9pm

why do they think airing a G rated show after 8pm is going to get them ratings, when the fucks and shits are all on the other networks....???!!?!?!!!!

Can 7 get their shit together for a minute and decide what they want to do?

aiming for younger audience:
- casts housemates with average age of 30
- markets the show through 7 news and online magazines
- little to no notable social media presence
- runs until 9pm

why do they think airing a G rated show after 8pm is going to get them ratings, when the fucks and shits are all on the other networks....???!!?!?!!!!
What...? 🤔

While I agree on the confusion regarding Seven's target demographic, you can't say there's been "little to no" social media presence? There's almost been too much. Especially on TV. I'd actually argue they've over saturated themselves with the amount they've advertised this show in the lead up to Launch.

Also, it's PG. The same age rating and time slot that almost all reality TV shows in Australia hold - from MKR to MAFS and The Bachelor.

I'm not sure what people are expecting...

Launch Night: Monday 8th June 2020
Overnight total viewers:
Arrival: (8) 853,000
Main show: (6) 866,000
Eviction: (5) 930,000

Big Brother topped all three demos. (As in all three parts were the top 3 of each demographic)

Last edited:
Now lets pray it can keep it up! Without the Voice on tonight of tomorrow, Big Brother should keep the viewers in.

Back