Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I feel the government's main job will be, over the next few weeks or months, both federal and state, is to temper any over eager media stories about a premature return to normalcy.

It's going to be a long road. They jump too soon, the virus takes off again. Things aren't going to be back to normal in six months. Any changes need to be measured and incremental. Most of the drop in new cases in Australia so far is purely because of the restrictions on international arrivals. Overseas holiday? Forget it. Maybe next year.

Here we go:

Borders to stay closed, travellers urged to 'see Australia first' once curbs ease
Australians will have to wait until the end of this year or beyond to restart overseas travel amid estimates the coronavirus crisis has wiped out inbound and domestic tourism worth $9 billion a month.

The under 40's are not getting the 'stay at home' messaging. Perhaps the government should be focussed on producing a high impact, behaviour change campaign, quick smart. Current communications are not working where they need to. A hard hitting campaign could likely be deployed faster and more $ effectively than policing coverage, which should be more concentrated in hotspots.

The under 40's are not getting the 'stay at home' messaging. Perhaps the government should be focussed on producing a high impact, behaviour change campaign, quick smart. Current communications are not working where they need to. A hard hitting campaign could likely be deployed faster and more $ effectively than policing coverage, which should be more concentrated in hotspots.

I live in a small town & here it's the oldies that aren't "following the rules". Honestly trying to educate my kids grandparents is near impossible. My dad is 100% convinced that Prince Charles catching Covid means he's a closet "poof" (sorry for the offensive term, he's a lost cause :() and also kids can't catch covid, so the media is wrong & he is never wrong. I'd roll my eyes hard, but this shiz is serious. My kids are freaking they could be carrying it without knowing, pass it onto g'ma, then she's dead.

I agree with you on needing a hard hitting education campaign is needed. The rules are confusing and changing sure does add to the stress of this strangeness!

Apparently in Burnie Tasmania some health workers may have gone to a dinner party and that's basically shut down the north west of the state with five thousand people in isolation. Plus two hospitals closed.

...being that we’ve been locked in self imposed isolation (except for going out for shopping and prescriptions of course) and that my sweet darling wife and I have basically been together 24 hours a day for about 3 continuous weeks I thought that we’d be arguing and doing each other’s head in by now... but... it’s the other way around...

...it may sound a bit corny and ‘wish washy’ to some but it hit me this morning that the pure love that I’ve always had for her for the past 42 or so years has been eclipsed by the pure love for her that I feel for her now!... this isolation that I have shared with her has bonded us together more than ever... she’s always been my dream soulmate but just when I thought that I couldn’t love her anymore than I have always done it has elevated to an even higher level than I could ever have imagined... I’m not afraid to say it all... in fact I’m proud to say it in front of anyone and everyone...

...I love her so much!... I am an extremely lucky man... strokes or no strokes that I have had to recover from... she has always been there for me... she’s my rock... my beautiful loving wife... my soulmate... my whole reason for living... I’ve no reason to declare my undying love for her... she’s always had it!... this Coronavirus lockdown does have some benefits to it afterall... it makes you even more grateful for what you do have I’ve come to discover... I’ll say it once again and then will shut up about it...❤️❤️❤️ I LOVE HER SO MUCH!... ❤️❤️❤️... I’ll shut up now... cheers.

Mr Stickyfingers:… “hey Sticky”...
Mr Stickyfingers:... “what?”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “do you ever get bored during this Coronavirus lockdown?”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “no stupid because I’ve got you to talk to!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “that’s not nice calling me ‘stupid’!... don’t be nasty!... idiot!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “1… I’m just stating the bleeding obvious… 2… don’t EVER call me an idiot again!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “why not?... you just called me ‘stupid”!...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “you deserved it for asking me such a stupid bloody question!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “no he didn’t… he just asked you a simple question… that’s all!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “stay out of this dopey!... it’s a private conversation so butt out!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “no I won’t butt out… you’re always nasty to him you bully!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “look!... this is between him and myself… so shut up dopey!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “he was just standing up for me… so don’t call him ‘dopey’ and don’t call me ‘stupid’ either… he’s right… you are a bully!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:... “oooooh!... we’re really tough now that somebody else is here aren’t we?...
Mr Stickyfingers:… they’re both right you know?... you ARE a bully!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “bloody hell!... you too?... I thought that you were my friend… I thought that you would back me up if nothing else?”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “haha!... sucked in!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “shut up stupid!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “haha!... yeah… like he said… sucked in!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “you shut up too dopey!... you’re all nincompoops!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “oi!... you leave me out of this!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “um… sorry about that nincompoop… no insult intended mate!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “no worries buddy!”...
Mr Stickyfingers:… “now!... as I was saying… you’re all a bunch of pric……….”...

MRS STICKYFINGERS:… ”darling… are you talking to yourself?... are you going mad from being in Coronavirus lockdown for so long or something?... you have me worried!”...

”NO!... NO!... NO!... NO!... not at all my sweet darling wife… NOT AT ALL!... cheers.

Yes @Affable...signing up early, see you and @oddjob& @reepbot
It is a nice little distraction, something new to do is appreciated.

What is happening with your studies Affable? This would be your final year???Or is it penultimate?

Feel for anyone studying poor year 12

Yes @Affable...signing up early, see you and @oddjob& @reepbot
It is a nice little distraction, something new to do is appreciated.

What is happening with your studies Affable? This would be your final year???Or is it penultimate?

Feel for anyone studying poor year 12

Very true. It is fun which is most important.

We have transitioned to an online model so my studies aren't affected. Most of the unis are doing that from what I have heard.

Reactions: kxk
stir crazy Sticky???
Join us for Quarantini @Mr Stickyfingers ...bit of light hearted pubtrivia

It is free,every Wednesday evening 7 pm

And....I kind of love how we live right now.....the distancing stuff is my dream come true
(of course I do not like the virus or how it is destroying so much)

One of my pet hates ....people with no spatial awareness
All the losers who take up the whole foot path to chat,
stop dead at the end of escalators,don't follow the keep left pedestrian rules like at railways,
meander in your way....
So I love distancing

Back