Skip to main content

The Circle - Series 2

Would would you prefer on Aussie TV next year?

• The Circle Australia

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Big Brother Australia

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
I was thinking about the order. Could start with Georgina - then Sammie - then Tim - then Woody - then Paddy.
I'd swap Paddy and Tim on that and it's perfect. You still get four reactions to Sammie, you get a brief period where The Circle of Trust are alone and leaving Tim to last keeps them wondering if he's real as well. I still like the idea The Circle has catfished us by having someone play Tim but then shown "Tim" acting out those conversations to us.

P.S. As for the meetings I do think it's a shame we were robbed of an on-screen Ella and Woody meeting because of the face to face blocking last night.

As I thought, Georgina's was the biggest reaction, the producers should have known that and had her meeting Sammie first.

Bet James wishes he recruited Jan over Paddy now. Most, if not all of them, would have rated him higher then her.

I had to chuckle at Emma accidentally bookending the series by ending it with an accidental "the house" reference, because she did that at the start of it too.

I wish they had shown more of the deliberations between Georgina and Tim when they blocked Ella, but I guess they couldn't because it would have given the result away. And previous to that, if Tim and Ella had not blocked Brooke when they did, it's quite likely one of Tim, Georgina, Brooke or even Ella would have gone on to win. I liked Tim but he and Ella made a terrible decision at that point that cost them all the game. 30k viewer prize notwithstanding.

Idk if this is an unpopular opinion it’s not, but I’m not happy with the winner.
I don't think it's unpopular opinion at all, but having praised the show for gameplay all week I think we have to accept they got into a position where they made the final and were able to claim the win basically by the others turning on each other trying to ensure certain people didn't win.

Spoilers without spoiler tags below

I think what hurt more was I was really hoping the Georgina won, so to have that stolen at last minute made the winner underwhelming. Her face too when Emma explained the prize was split between a viewers champ and circle champ - she seemed to think someone had stolen £30k from her.

I gasped when Woody came in 5th but rationally he was always 4th on 3 of the 4 peoples list so it was inevitable. Even at the end it seems the Circle of Trust still didn't quite understand they needed to punish Tim in the ratings to give themselves the best shot. James' relationship with Paddy also seemed much stronger than came across, and he arguably chose the winner by ranking him ahead of Georgina. Was interesting too he said he almost outed himself to Paddy as a catfish - so wish he had, that would have made things even more interesting.

As for the final itself I really wanted to see much more from the round table meeting. I've said all series we get more from the face to face meetings than the interview and I think to keep coverage of that meeting relatively short (as a group they only really showed them discussing Woody's parents) in favour of studio interviews, which IMO didn't add too much, wasn't a great production decision. Yes, a live interview was required but think they could have been half as much time spent on them really.

The main story was always Tim v Sammie, they ended up getting equal position in the end. The top 2 felt like a different battle, as they were both the first contestants with disabilities. The producers clearly wanted to make a big thing of that, and it's unlikely any of the other players thought they would allow someone to lie about their condition, so I think that put them at an advantage. All of the others in the final and outside of that had been suspected of not telling the truth about something fundamental.

Started on the first season tonight - amazing how much they tightened up the production values for series 2, and the cast is so much more likeable too. The Circle without Tim doesn't seem right.

Some slight changes in format in the early eps (I've watched the first three) - each player is rated out of 5 rather than ranked, the influencer chat is done from within the apartments rather than the hangout and no goodbye message. Some of that might change before the end of the series but we'll see.

Also must say Alice and Maya were far better hosts for the opening episode than Emma - a real shame that neither returned.

Still unsure how to feel about the finale. Ultimately I am pretty pleased with how most of it panned out - I also would have liked more footage from the face-to-face meeting, and I found the onstage interviews a little revealing as it seems there were a couple of things that had occurred we hadn't get to see in the daily episodes.

I gasped (almost happily) at Woody's final rating and found it almost poetic that Tim and Sammie tied. I did love that in the end it came down to Georgina and Paddy, but as much as I've enjoyed Paddy and been quite moved by his story, the only really disappointment for me was that the prize didn't go to Georgina, who I feel rightfully deserved that win.

Bit of a shame really, but oh well. On to season one... (thanks @Kingston!)

I'll be uploading series 1 to YouTube once the current series is complete... Glad you're enjoying it!
I haven't seen it at all - and if I'm going to start maybe it makes sense to start with season 1.

First 10 episodes are up on my YouTube channel for anyone who is interested...

Well my resolution didn’t last long. I watch a lot of shows on YouTube and The Circle Season 2 popped up as a suggestion out of nowhere just when I had an hour to spare. I succumbed and then stayed out of this thread because I was a little behind but watched the final episode this morning. I loved it!!
Pretty sure I missed nothing (in terms of understanding the game) by going straight to season 2 as it is a fairly easy concept to understand. I am indeed looking forward to binging on Season 1 @Kingston.

I thought the first series had a greater number of likeable people. The presenting was hardly perfect in either, but we hardly saw the presenters the first time around so that hardly mattered. When they did appear having two presenters was overkill. Otherwise I liked that it was less produced, no fake corridors, much less use of manipulative music from memory. They were playing it less as a pantomime compared to this series, definitely among the original players at least. The disabled theme of this latest series made it all more serious but it also felt forced on us. Definitely way more funny moments last year, and the end was more memorable. The only humour I really remember this year was via Jay.

There's been a few articles saying that the American show has already filmed it's first season too - so it must've finished just before the second series of the UK show.

There's been a few articles saying that the American show has already filmed it's first season too - so it must've finished just before the second series of the UK show.

It’s just a rumour... There’s no confirmation of that rumour and no reason Netflix would sit on the show for that long before airing. Considering auditions only closed in September it’s unlikely anything has been filmed.

and no reason Netflix would sit on the show for that long before airing.
Not necessarily true. Netflix have been known to sit on things competed for awhile before release - especially in the reality genre. It usually sits on the shelf for at least six months. ie the new 4-episode Japan season of Queer Eye - that was filmed back in late-January/early February.

Just because they can, they don’t release stuff ASAP.

Not necessarily true. Netflix have been known to sit on things competed for awhile before release - especially in the reality genre. It usually sits on the shelf for at least six months. ie the new 4-episode Japan season of Queer Eye - that was filmed back in late-January/early February.

Just because they can, they don’t release stuff ASAP.

Auditions only closed in August or early September. It’s simply not possible that final casting selection and filming have already taken place in such a short time given the fact that they are using the same location and most likely the majority of the same crew.

The main story was always Tim v Sammie, they ended up getting equal position in the end. The top 2 felt like a different battle, as they were both the first contestants with disabilities. The producers clearly wanted to make a big thing of that, and it's unlikely any of the other players thought they would allow someone to lie about their condition, so I think that put them at an advantage. All of the others in the final and outside of that had been suspected of not telling the truth about something fundamental.
Fair comment on an assumption being made producers wouldn't let people lie about a disability, but I also don't think for most catfishing is why people vote for people. In a way the show is about getting to know the people behind the profile - Sammie lost because he became a bit of a twat in the final days (not for creating the alliance but for not managing his relationships with others) rather than being a suspect catfish.

Also worth noting UK reality TV is leagues ahead of Australia and from what I've seen America when it comes to representing disability on screen. C4 took notable steps since acquiring the Paralympics in 2012, but even before that contestants with disabilities had featured in at least three series of Big Brother whilst Deal or No Deal, which began in 2005, was one of the first quiz shows to noteably and frequently have disabled players. Now it's pretty much the norm for a disabled contestants to feature in reality TV. I'd also say Chrones is more of a chronic illness than a disability and though the disability was a factor with Paddy when he moved in and initially withheld it I think it's very much been secondary with Georgina. Indeed with both of them apart from a handful of conversations over the series it's not been a determining factor at all IMO.

Watched a bit of S1 again, but I just can't stand Freddie.
Exactly - he put me off last year and rewatching with him present is putting me off this year too. That said he is so bad at catfishing as a straight guy it is quite funny.

Back