Skip to main content

NBN

It’s HFC, but I don’t have cable internet or Foxtel. I’m in an apartment though, and I’d guess others do.

It’s HFC, but I don’t have cable internet or Foxtel. I’m in an apartment though, and I’d guess others do.
Well if there's already an existing Foxtel outlet in your apartment it should be easy enough. If not... could be a drama. It may even be a blank faceplate with the cable behind already. My sister's place is slated for HFC but it's a 1960s block and they'll have to run coax to everyone, while a few doors along the street houses are getting fibre to the curb. So you'd have to think it would be easier to bring fibre to their curb or basement than it would be to run coax throughout the place to all the units that don't have it. All that labour and expense. Good luck!

It's all so confusing. So if we're connected to the internet through our phone line and wifi, what will that mean for FTTN FTTC etc etc?

It's all so confusing. So if we're connected to the internet through our phone line and wifi, what will that mean for FTTN FTTC etc etc?
FTTN and FTTC mean the fibre ends somewhere in your suburb (FTTN) or in the footpath outside your house (FTTC) where it then connects to your existing phone line. So installation just means you just have a modem in the same way your ADSL is now.

If you get FTTH or HFC they will need to install the fibre/cable into your house and it's a much bigger job (but you'd get a much faster and reliable service).

FTTN and FTTC mean the fibre ends somewhere in your suburb (FTTN) or in the footpath outside your house (FTTC) where it then connects to your existing phone line. So installation just means you just have a modem in the same way your ADSL is now.

If you get FTTH or HFC they will need to install the fibre/cable into your house and it's a much bigger job (but you'd get a much faster and reliable service).
Ah, okay, so as we're in a set of townhouses and we're not a free standing house I think they wire up the building to what they've done out the front. Is that a good one or a bad one? (as in fast or slow)

Ah, okay, so as we're in a set of townhouses and we're not a free standing house I think they wire up the building to what they've done out the front. Is that a good one or a bad one? (as in fast or slow)
If it's a big grey fridge thingo on the footpath it's FTTN, but as long as that's very close and not a few kms down the road you'll be fine.

We literally get switched over on Saturday. I've been putting it off as long as possible because frankly our existing ADSL works just fine for what we want.

We've stayed with Telstra because there were no switch over fees. The sent us out their latest Gateway 2 modem even though our old one works with the NBN. The new one has the SIM card backup in case anything goes down while the old modem does not. They don't want the old modem back so I'm putting it away as 'just in case' backup if the new one blows up for any reason.

Upon setting up the new modem it at first wouldn't connect to the interwebs even though it said 'connected' on the laptop. This resulted in a call to Telstra support. They claimed all was well but had me switch off then on again, remove the SIM card and reinsert etc. Magically for no apparent reason everything started working ok. I literally hadn't touched it at that point so I reckon the support weenie did something in the background but wouldn't admit it.

THE BIGGEST HASSLE we have had is that my Epson Ecotank 2750 wireless printer absolutely refuses to connect wirelessly to the laptop now. Again a call to Telstra support (this is obviously located in India now btw...) and they claimed that the modem is working fine so the problem is with the printer.

I ran the set up on the printer and the Epson setup wizard keeps giving me the same error message "computer not found, try again"and upon clicking OK it just starts the same install wizard again. So basically we're stuck in a loop... Telstra absolutely refuse to admit that the modem is at fault even though that is the ONLY thing that has changed since the printer was working just fine last Sunday before the new modem was plugged in on Monday. Going through Telstra support forums sees thousands of people with printer connection problems with these new modems. This is not an isolated problem and Telstra are clearly fully aware of the issues.

I went and completely removed the Epson software and went through the complete 'new out of the box' routine from scratch to install the printer. The laptop acknowledges the printer just fine but the modem will not let any signal get through at all. You just get a 'printer error' message. The support weenies offered to send out a 'printer setup support technician' BUT that it would cost us a fee. We argued since its Telstra's modem that has brought on this problem then it should be free. The support weenies refused to agree to that...

So ultimately I had to give up and use the direct USB cable connection. So much for having a wireless 'print from anywhere' printer! But at least now I can print stuff...

If it's a big grey fridge thingo on the footpath it's FTTN, but as long as that's very close and not a few kms down the road you'll be fine.
It's a flat thing underground right out the front. They dug into the ground outside few houses along from us.

Last edited:
My sister got NBN installed in her unit on Friday (HFC), then promptly went away for the weekend. The installer refused to help her set up her wifi password, and the modem is too far from the TV where she needs to put the Fetch box. Installers are such dicks. It seriously would have taken him less than 10 minutes to log in and open the menu and let her type in her SSID and password. So now she has to call iiNet and have them talk her through it. She is not tech savvy at all.

She'll be relieved to be off ADSL as the best she got was 5Mbps and repeated drop outs all the time every day for years. My apartment in Sydney is due to go live 1 June (FTTN) but as our building has had TPG FTTB for over three years, that's better and cheaper for my tenant. One advantage if I ever move back there.

Been wondering how you're going. Is it sorted?

No I’ve had a few other things to deal with. I guess I’ll start with a call to Telstra, it may be simpler to deal with them first and review the isp at a later date.

Always amazed me at how much Australia lagged behind in terms of cable and internet...
Thanks to our arsehole Coalition government and Malcom Turnbull kowtowing to the hard right of their conga line of suckholes.

Well this is all very encouraging!
A few people I have spoken to, however, recently who have been changed over seem happy enough, so it's not all bad news.
No I’ve had a few other things to deal with. I guess I’ll start with a call to Telstra, it may be simpler to deal with them first and review the isp at a later date.
Let us know how you go.
We've got men down in holes all over the place at the moment in our suburb. It's a nightmare!

😅
Well had another client in today who's just got her NBN on and is happy. A Telstra person, so that's a positive among the negatives.
My sister just got hers installed (Melbourne). Waiting for her to do a speed test but I'm sure it'll be better than the awful 6Mbps ADSL she's been suffering with for years.

We've been getting in between under 1 mbps and 5, although that's crap, we have no streaming issues on Optus Fetch, or downloading films. It's only bad over Christmas when it can take a few hours to download a film whereas it's usually about 2 seconds. At work we get from 8 - 12 mbps.
When I used my phone as a usb connection with vodafone I peaked at 80!
I don't get it. It's so random!

Back