Skip to main content

Speculation: Big Brother Australia in 2019?

Mike said that something would be happening at 7:30 today. It's now an hour later and there is nothing. Looking more and more like a beat up.

could be upload times. could be that something had to get cut due to NDAs. Difficult to tell. I'm pretty sure he self-produces all this stuff so I'm just waiting patiently

He is dropping a couple of hints about ten years. perhaps the are having a ten year reunion of the last season run on Ten?

If it’s about a reboot he’s either been silenced by the network or he has had tech difficulties and it’s delayed it

If it’s about a reboot he’s either been silenced by the network or he has had tech difficulties and it’s delayed it

If it’s Ten that’s bringing back the show, which is probable considering the mention of live streaming and Uncut in his Instagram post, they have probably silenced him as their upfronts are on October 31st and they don’t want anything getting out until then. They did after all put out a statement that they have a couple of big announcements to make at their upfronts.

I don't think this has anything to do with the possibility of Big Brother coming back next year. Like I suggested before it is probably a Big Brother reunion with Bree.

I think we jumped the gun. Please don't get your hopes up that Mike has been silenced from announcing a revival until the network's upfronts in October/November. Mike would have never been allowed in the first place to spill the beans before an official announcement was made so I don't know what the "big" Big Brother news could have been tonight other than it was probably the time scheduled for the recording of the podcast with Bree. I believe Mike Goldman records his shows live where you can interact with him and his guest. I watched the Gretel Killeen one and it seemed people could chat to them live through Facebook and Mike specifically asked no one to have any Big Brother questions because Gretel is over it. 😁

Last edited:
I don't think this has anything to do with the possibility of Big Brother coming back next year. Like I suggested before it is probably a Big Brother reunion with Bree.

I think we jumped the gun. Please don't get your hopes up that Mike has been silenced from announcing a revival until the network's upfronts in October/November. Mike would have never been allowed in the first place to spill the beans before an official announcement was made so I don't know what the "big" Big Brother news could have been tonight other than it was probably the time scheduled for the recording of the podcast with Bree. I believe Mike Goldman records his shows live where you can interact with him and his guest. I watched the Gretel Killeen one and it seemed people could chat to them live through Facebook and Mike specifically asked no one to have any Big Brother questions because Gretel is over it. 😁

Then he should have just said that instead of being all cryptic and getting people's hopes up. Why would people find him reuniting with Bree 'exciting news'?

I doubt the Au version will be back.

Mike Goldman is just reminiscing about it.

If it did come back, it won't be at Dreamworld.

I had a think about this, although I think the Big Brother format in Australia has died there are ways of giving it the rebirth it deserved to have in 2012. All we ever heard in 2012 was 'back to basics, the show everyone loved in 2001, family friendly' and that's all well and chum but completely unrealistic within a climate of MKRs and Survivors.

If a reboot were to happen, the only way to do it would be to completely hire a new staff, meaning NOBODY from 10 or 9 working on the new rework. These new staff would need to be fresh from university or college, 13-30 demo hates old guys trying to target content to them. It would need a joint venture between a FTA network and an SVOD Service (Hypothetical: Ten and Netflix) to have the episode air on FTA and then become available to stream on Netflix to capture not only those who still watch TV but the busy millennial who is either commuting to work or school with a mobile phone or laptop or tablet that can easily access the episodes and not only episodes but bonus content (After one episode with a fight happens, autoplay into an extended diary room confessional). It needs more modern on-screen presentation with a minimalistic graphic design. It needs a host who hasn't had their big break yet and it needs housemates that are actually interesting to watch with diverse backgrounds, not the typical modelling agency back burner who is just slightly unattractive. It needs a network that isn't afraid to break boundaries and take risks as Ten has done in the past, Ten really doesn't have anything left to lose. It needs to get the fuck out of Queensland and be based in New South Wales, which, although a boring choice of setting it in Sydney, it's far more affordable to produce television within NSW. It needs to be completely remade from the ground up, it's the only chance it has left of surviving.

for fuck sakes do not make a big brother app, that's literally the worst way of creating digital immersion.

I had a think about this, although I think the Big Brother format in Australia has died there are ways of giving it the rebirth it deserved to have in 2012. All we ever heard in 2012 was 'back to basics, the show everyone loved in 2001, family friendly' and that's all well and chum but completely unrealistic within a climate of MKRs and Survivors.

If a reboot were to happen, the only way to do it would be to completely hire a new staff, meaning NOBODY from 10 or 9 working on the new rework. These new staff would need to be fresh from university or college, 13-30 demo hates old guys trying to target content to them. It would need a joint venture between a FTA network and an SVOD Service (Hypothetical: Ten and Netflix) to have the episode air on FTA and then become available to stream on Netflix to capture not only those who still watch TV but the busy millennial who is either commuting to work or school with a mobile phone or laptop or tablet that can easily access the episodes and not only episodes but bonus content (After one episode with a fight happens, autoplay into an extended diary room confessional). It needs more modern on-screen presentation with a minimalistic graphic design. It needs a host who hasn't had their big break yet and it needs housemates that are actually interesting to watch with diverse backgrounds, not the typical modelling agency back burner who is just slightly unattractive. It needs a network that isn't afraid to break boundaries and take risks as Ten has done in the past, Ten really doesn't have anything left to lose. It needs to get the fuck out of Queensland and be based in New South Wales, which, although a boring choice of setting it in Sydney, it's far more affordable to produce television within NSW. It needs to be completely remade from the ground up, it's the only chance it has left of surviving.

for fuck sakes do not make a big brother app, that's literally the worst way of creating digital immersion.

How has it died when we have only had 12 seasons in comparison to many other countries that have had a lot more.

It only died the last time because Channel Nine made it too friendly and tried everything possible to bring the show down.

Last edited:
Hypothetical: Ten and Netflix
Ten has already announced they will be launching Ten All Access (Australian version of CBS All Access). It would be hosted there and not on anyone else's platform. Assuming any of this BBAU reboot story is true (and I have my doubts).

I guess we wait til the end of this month to see if it is what some of us secretly desire (BBAU on ten again ... make BBAU great again ... etc etc).

If Mike genuinely did have some news to spill, perhaps he - or his expected guest Bree - have been silenced by the network until they make an official announcement. If it were Bree who had the news and it is she who has been silenced, then maybe CH7 will give it a go (doesn't Bree work as a Casting Director for them?).

For what is is worth, Mike has a sponsored Facebook post with the contents of his Instagram post (fans on the gold coast, live streaming, etc)

Would be good for 7 to take a shot at it. Seeing as they shelved their B.B. rip off and also proceeded to produce an Endemol brand (All together now), hopefully the stars are aligning and not just a few coincidences.

Well Mike does give this site a mention (of sorts...) in the Bree podcast - hi @mikegoldmanlive !? ;)

As for anything concrete regarding BBAU returning, there wasn't. The closest was some discussion about how Big Brother might be different (and in what way) if it did return, with comment allegedly from Endemol Shine producers that it might be more aligned to the BBUS format ... and then Mike saying how BBUS is quite different to all the other BB's of the world.

Well Mike does give this site a mention (of sorts...) in the Bree podcast - hi @mikegoldmanlive !? ;)

As for anything concrete regarding BBAU returning, there wasn't. The closest was some discussion about how Big Brother might be different (and in what way) if it did return, with comment allegedly from Endemol Shine producers that it might be more aligned to the BBUS format ... and then Mike saying how BBUS is quite different to all the other BB's of the world.
rip to ever having a satisfying return. I hate the BBUS format, and the editing style. I really hope they don't take the more scripted shitty narratives if it ever returns. Yes BBAU does this as well but it isn't edited like a hells kitchen episode with lame dramatic music. BBAU feels more realistic and normal. I also need the old BB nostalgia back, I can guarantee the BBUS style will fail, as evident by 9's failed US syndication. The house 'Power of Veto' maybe interesting tho.

Also can you direct me a timestamp on that Endemol topic please. :)

About 11:30 minutes in or so @deadasdisco :). The wording for this was something like 'that's the kind of direction they [Endemol Shine] would want to go [with BBAU].' Actually Mike says "the people at Endemol Shine" so it might not necessarily be producers who made the BBUS comment but other staff, who knows! After that he discusses the futuristic technology used by BB Italy where it apparently automatically logs every housemate's conversation, automatically, and associates it with the relevant video footage etc etc. I wonder if that would help or hinder the realistic portraying of a day in the BBAU house?

Last edited:
rip to ever having a satisfying return. I hate the BBUS format, and the editing style. I really hope they don't take the more scripted shitty narratives if it ever returns. Yes BBAU does this as well but it isn't edited like a hells kitchen episode with lame dramatic music. BBAU feels more realistic and normal. I also need the old BB nostalgia back, I can guarantee the BBUS style will fail, as evident by 9's failed US syndication. The house 'Power of Veto' maybe interesting tho.

Also can you direct me a timestamp on that Endemol topic please. :)

The US format does not mean they will adopt every minor detail of the format... The US format works because it was developed with American viewers in mind... BB around the word is unique in every territory because they spend the time to develop the format with a specific audience in mind.. That said most of what you've accused BBUS of being had already happened to BBAU... If the most recent BBUk series anything to go off of they've shown that a show can be stripped back to the fundamentalist principals and rebuild...

As for the US format working for an Australian audience I think you're dead wrong... CBB US was bound to fail considering they only advertised a few weeks before... The audience for the show was built around an American audience... And it went head to head with an already popular celebrity centric show... In terms of the format it's not as if the core concepts of the US format are unfamiliar to Australian audiences... During the Kris Noble era I'd swear he was BFF's with the American production team...

About 11:30 minutes in or so @deadasdisco :). The wording for this was something like 'that's the kind of direction they [Endemol Shine] would want to go [with BBAU].' Actually Mike says "the people at Endemol Shine" so they might not be producers who made the BBUS comment, who knows! After that he discusses the futuristic technology on BB Italy where it apparently automatically logs every conversation, automatically, and associates it with the relevant video footage etc etc. I wonder if that would help or hinder the realistic portraying of a day in the BBAU house?

Endemol Shine still produce BBUS whether or not they get credit for it or not... Also the technology Mike is speaking of has been implemented in several territories now... BBUK being one of the most recent... It seem to be working rather well...

Back