Skip to main content

Big Brother AU - Game Changers (hypothetical)

timmy

BEEUUUUWWW!!
Awesome site donor
Just touching on the (supposed) "game changers" theme of Survivor, if you had to put together a BBAU of game changers, who would you choose and why? Who changed the game, and who made an impact?

Since this is a hypothetical I'd suggest you list your suggestions to your top 10.

Here's a list of housemates to help you out.

I'm going to put some thought into this as well and post later.

Ok so without much thought at all, here are my 10 with their respective seasons in brackets:

Sarah-Marie (1) - for playing a part to the max
Andy Silva (1) - for being a dominatrix who went into the house with a bag of dildos
Ben Archbold (3) - for successfully trolling Chrissie
Reggie (3) - just for being adorable
Merlin (4) - for successfully trolling Gretel
Tim Brunero (5) - for going in with a strategy that nearly worked
Vesna (5) - for successfully trolling Dean
Camilla (6) - for actually not really minding being turkey slapped by Ashley and Michael
Tim Dormer (10) - for playing it to the max
Priya Malik (11) - ok I admit it, now I'm the one trolling :D

There's a difference between game-changing and trolling. I suspect most - if not all - of these people would have moved on from the show but here goes - my cast of fourteen/fifteen for Big Brother: Game Changers. Also a lot of these game-changers are linked to their seasons respective twists, because I guess they changed the game.

Tim Dormer (10) - I mean duh. He made a huge move to oust Matt and then went on to win the game. Somewhat aided by production giving him a tonne of screentime in extra tasks (go back and rewatch and you'll see what I mean); but nonetheless knew how to twist these to gain popularity.

Michael McCoy (6) - The twist-(and later self-)appointed insider. Continuously got the housemates thinking about "the game at hand" with his antics. Michael was unceremoniously dumped from the house at the conclusion of his insider role for his antics. Part of me believes it would not have been the case in the post-Tim Dormer era.

Billy Bentley (7) - Mr. X. Changed the dynamic of the 2007 household by putting pressure onto the Andrew-Hayley relationship. Went on to become one of the more popular housemates of the season.

Dean Glucina (5) - "The manipulator". Turned the 2005 "singles only" casting on its head by entering the house with a girlfriend. Despite productions attempts to screw him out of the house by punishing him with nominations, he managed to push through and finish in 8th place.

Merlin Luck (4) - Somewhat unimpactful during his time in the house outside Citizenshipgate but FREE TH REFUGEES was a huge moment for the season. Didn't so much change the game course-wise as he changed the way the game was perceived by the public - who now saw it as a way for people to politically express themselves (leading to David '06/arguably Tim B '05).

David Hodis (11) - [Jeff Probst voice]: "HE VOTED OUT HIS MOM--- ER, I MEAN, HE SHAVED OFF HIS BEARD!"

Logans (5) - Play out the twin twist again for the first week, but evict them both if they fail. A game changers cast need a game-changing twist to reappear.

Bree Amer (4) - Almost obligatory. The eviction / non-eviction was a huge, game-changing thing for Bree -- arguably propelling her to the final 2.

Terri Munro (8) - Wielder of the very first Housemate Hand-grenade, which she used to banish Nobbi to the Kombi for the rest of his stay. Arguably changed the game as it made Nobbi more cranky/impacted his experience/affected the way housemates treated evictees.

Priya Malik (11) - Schemer. Played a strong game with her management of people and iron-will.

Anita Bloomfield (1) - One of the first intruders (the only one that survived the intruder eviction). Changed the game at the time and shaped the future with more intruders to come.

Camilla Halliwell (6) - Faced eviction on ten occasions, yet still managed to reach the final night.

Krystal Forscutt (6) - Part of the first mother-daughter twist in Big Brother history.

Demet Sahan (7) - Survived the White-Room experiment to become a housemate.

=======

Wow but looking at the above list, thank fuck they won't ever do it. Possibly the worst cast ever assembled y/y?

There's a difference between game-changing and trolling. I suspect most - if not all - of these people would have moved on from the show but here goes - my cast of fourteen/fifteen for Big Brother: Game Changers. Also a lot of these game-changers are linked to their seasons respective twists, because I guess they changed the game.

Michael McCoy (6) - The twist-(and later self-)appointed insider. Continuously got the housemates thinking about "the game at hand" with his antics. Michael was unceremoniously dumped from the house at the conclusion of his insider role for his antics. Part of me believes it would not have been the case in the post-Tim Dormer era.

Billy Bentley (7) - Mr. X. Changed the dynamic of the 2007 household by putting pressure onto the Andrew-Hayley relationship. Went on to become one of the more popular housemates of the season.

Dean Glucina (5) - "The manipulator". Turned the 2005 "singles only" casting on its head by entering the house with a girlfriend. Despite productions attempts to screw him out of the house by punishing him with nominations, he managed to push through and finish in 8th place.

David Hodis (11) - [Jeff Probst voice]: "HE VOTED OUT HIS MOM--- ER, I MEAN, HE SHAVED OFF HIS BEARD!"

Logans (5) - Play out the twin twist again for the first week, but evict them both if they fail. A game changers cast need a game-changing twist to reappear.

Bree Amer (4) - Almost obligatory. The eviction / non-eviction was a huge, game-changing thing for Bree -- arguably propelling her to the final 2.

Terri Munro (8) - Wielder of the very first Housemate Hand-grenade, which she used to banish Nobbi to the Kombi for the rest of his stay. Arguably changed the game as it made Nobbi more cranky/impacted his experience/affected the way housemates treated evictees.

Wow but looking at the above list, thank fuck they won't ever do it. Possibly the worst cast ever assembled y/y?

OK I have lopped out a lot but wanted to comment on some:

Agree on Michael for sure. Billy was a game changer in the sense he was set up to be a bit of a hand grenade. Likeable enough but the points go to the producers for the stunt, not so much to him. Dean is arguable, he was just a jerk IMO. David Hodis went in with the single schtick that he would shave off his beard (admittedly Ryan won his season with the single schtick of being a frozen chicken so... maybe?). The Logans failed their task but producers manipulated it for them to go on and win, WTF? They FAILED. Bree was an accidental game changer and the awful, awful Terri got lucky.

Could your complete list be the worst cast ever assembled? It's a yes from me lol.

The entire cast of 2014 changed the game by being so bland and boring, even with a cheating scandal, that channel nine decided not to renew the show.

Without Sarah Marie and Reggie Big Brother would not have lasted as long as it did. Their popularity helped to fuel further seasons. Those two made the biggest impact.

OK I have lopped out a lot but wanted to comment on some:

Agree on Michael for sure. Billy was a game changer in the sense he was set up to be a bit of a hand grenade. Likeable enough but the points go to the producers for the stunt, not so much to him. Indeed, but you've got to think from a production POV - who was at the centre of some points of the series that changed their respective seasons? Billy is that. Dean is arguable, he was just a jerk IMO. Jerk? Yeah, probably. But he had his moments. Standing up to Rachel when she was a new housemate (and with no perception as to whether she would become loved or hated by Australia) was pretty ballsy. Plus he totally screwed up productions plans to try to boot him for violating their casting rule. David Hodis went in with the single schtick that he would shave off his beard (admittedly Ryan won his season with the single schtick of being a frozen chicken so... maybe?). And Ciera Eastin being on Game Changers was summarised as more than "She voted out her mom!!!"? David had more outside that. The way he exposed Lisa, outlasted those who were out to get him, etc. The Logans failed their task but producers manipulated it for them to go on and win, WTF? They FAILED. The point of bringing back the Logans is to harken back to another game-changer twist. But also to see if they could perhaps pass the task if given another shot. While there were suspicions about them, I feel like it was ultimately the window smash incident that was the final nail in the coffin. Bree was an accidental game changer Still a gamechanger. and the awful, awful Terri got lucky. Now I have beef with people attributing this to luck. Go back and watch the finale night - Terri's win wasn't luck, it was producer manipulation. Extending the voting deadline, continuously showing the percentages that had Ben/Rory winning and asking "IS THIS WHO YOU WANT AS YOUR WINNER????!?!". While we can knock AMav for his manipulation to try to get Michael / Ben -> Tim / Skye to win their respective seasons; at least it wasn't as ridiculously unfair as 2008 was.

Could your complete list be the worst cast ever assembled? It's a yes from me lol.

responses in bold.

One more choice I want to pre-emptively defend is Demet. She also changed the game by pointing out how ridiculously OP the save-and-replace FNG power was for the clique of Hayley/Andrew/Billy - leading to the snap eviction of Hayley a few nights later.

When I said Terri got lucky, I meant in the sense that the HMs evicted her on Day 1, and she would never had had the opportunity to win were it not for producer manipulation allowing her to reenter the house. She was lucky they wanted her in there so bad. Let alone the whole voting thing.

As for Survivor Game Changers, I suspect they assembled a cast of returning players and then tried to think of an angle, before coming up with "game changers" as their tagline. Which would be it doesn't actually fit for many of them.

When I said Terri got lucky, I meant in the sense that the HMs evicted her on Day 1, and she would never had had the opportunity to win were it not for producer manipulation allowing her to reenter the house. She was lucky they wanted her in there so bad. Let alone the whole voting thing.

As for Survivor Game Changers, I suspect they assembled a cast of returning players and then tried to think of an angle, before coming up with "game changers" as their tagline. Which would be it doesn't actually fit for many of them.

I've heard it was meant to be some sort of "Revenge, Return, Redemption" season - where they'd bring six winners back to return, six players who lost FTC/just missed FTC for revenge, and six players out earlier back for redemption.

You can kind of see how this split may have happened given some of the players that were rumoured to be cut / players the producers wanted back.

Revenge: Malcolm, Tai, Ozzy, Cirie, Aubry, Monica (cut/replaced by Brad)
Return: Tony, JT, Earl (cut), Sandra, Danni/Sophie (both cut), Nat A (cut / was going to be on GC but got replaced by Sierra)
Redemption: Caleb, Troyzan, Jeff, Sarah, Debbie, Alexis (cut)

Obviously this changed up a tonne.

Back