Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2016) - Episode 11 Discussion

I find it slightly embarrassing to watch. I always was going for Aganoa as the underdogs and will stick with Vavau for the same reasons. I've developed a liking for Phoebe and Kristie and didn't mind Kat as she wasn't the usual bikini clad lady ans she did have a certain style all her own. I'd prefer a stronger male like Lee or Sam to even up the odds by joining them and time will tell if something like that happens. Bring the rest of the series on.

...I'm doing exactly the same thing... I always go for the underdog teams because I always feel that you get better value out of people when they're having hard times such as Vavau are now... you see their inner strength and characters better and are more 'personal and closer' to them than the always smug winners on the other constantly winning team... well they're my reasons for supporting them anyway... go Vavau!... cheers.

This is just my opinion and prediction:
No, it's completely skewed the game. One challenge shouldn't do that. Not for this long. There is no way that the blue alliance doesn't take out Vavau when they merge. That one competition set up the majority of the game, I'm guessing well into post merge, maybe another 6 eliminations.

Even a good player like Craig won't have a chance against poor players like Lee because they will target him due to his strength. No telling what allies will reform because they've been with their second tribe longer.

I don't understand why the producers would do all that initial movement and then keep things static.
I think we will have a Matsing/ Aitu 4 situation, rather than a straight pagonging of Vavau. (A pagonging is when the larger tribe at the merge just votes out the smaller one one by one.) Saanapu will be too unstable to just finish the job. Nick will want to make a big move - he won't want to compete against Matt in individual immunities, because they share a skill set, and he is already wary because of his chicken power. Also, that big blue tribe has elements that may want to hook back up with their original tribe mates, after being stuck in camp with the Blues, and unable to let off steam by voting anyone off. Think of the merges on Philippines, Cook Island and Tocantins.

Also, the surviving Vavau will be strong, and we may have a Yul/Ozzy or Malcomb/Denise situation.

Last edited:
Oh my gooooooood.

Andrew, I can't even with that man!!!! It's gone past the point of entertaining for me at this point >___>

As for the chicken debate, UGH. I'm so glad they got turned down for a swap because that's a thing that pisses me off about meat eaters =/ Like you'll eat it if it's wrapped and killed for you but you won't kill it yourself? Smh. I don't et meat because I don't like the taste- give me a burger when I have my period for iron but like =/ It's just that hypocrisy that I hate? Like I don't wanna sound preachy but it's the double standard that pisses me off xD

Immunity challenge time!!! And oh, El is sitting out- so she won't be in danger if we go to tribal hopefully... Just gonna sit back and enjoy this one...

Okay Sue did great of course... But I think Craig was the MVP... He's an absolute gun and stronger than Sam imo... Too bad his teammates can't aim to save their lives or maybe Vulva could have won!!!

I hope it's Andrew gone... please survivor gods...

...if they are throwing pre-recorded overhead shots in during the 'Live' races then that is misleading us into thinking that these 'races' are legit... because that then brings into question on just how much of the show is 'staged' or 'scripted' rather than being a natural free flowing show... Phoebe magically 'finding' that idol etc etc is a prime example of bringing doubt into the legitimacy of the 'Live' footage that is supposed to be being shot just to name one... they are not doing themselves any favours when they throw in pre-recorded shots of complete strangers substituting for the real castaways no matter for whatever reasons in my opinion... just saying... cheers.
No that's not what happens, at least in the US. The live shots of the competition are absolutely real. If something happens during a competition and they need to stop, they freeze everyone in place. That happened when someone was injured and bleeding by something falling on their head.

I'm not an editing expert but I know they have to have shots where those cameras aren't visible.
Sometimes they record the dream team to see how it will look on camera and maybe those shots are better.

As for Phoebe, you have to remember:
1. She's seen the show so she knows where idols are hidden generally. That dramatic tree is a classic place.
2. She has see Craig go into the mangroves repeatedly and she wonders why.
3. She already found a idol so she has some insight as to what to look for.
4. A lot of people in the US series find idols without clues. Finding an idol without a clue happens so much that people sneak off the first day to look, even while building the shelter. US viewers of the series were surprised that people weren't searching for idols from day one.

It's so common that they keep changing how to find them. I one season the idols were actually hidden at the challenges. In another they were underwater when they never had been before. I the upcoming season they have even a new twist .

5. I do think they could have inadvertently alerted Phoebe by the way they filmed close to the tree.
6. The actual shot of her finding it could have been reshot. But I don't know about that.
7. Because she was on the outs after Rohan left, she had plenty of time on her own to look. People were giving her space to be away from the tribe. Craig had a much harder time getting away

Last edited:
Well the ad they just showed was part Andrew mouthing off again, the voiceover said the blindside of the season. Sue going would hardly be a blindside, would it? She knows, it seems, from the last tribal that she's not considered worth keeping (aka: weak in challenges)
So glad I don't see these previews before the episode. Completely spoils it - they should never refer to anything at Tribal in the ads, and certainly not the result.

Also do they ever update the titles in the US version. I'm not expecting them to be edited with every elimination but it annoyed me when they didn't switch Conner and Sam and Nick and Tegan to the right tribes after they swapped and it annoys me even more they haven't re-edited them since the three tribes became two.

I count 15 contestants left. I think!?
Thanks! I wonder who I forgot. No idea.
There must be at least one non elimination episode because they have to have at least two people at the end?? Maybe if they do a reunion episode at the finale?

I think we will have a Matsing/ Aitu 4 situation, rather than a straight pagonging of Vavau. (A pagonging is when the larger tribe at the merge just votes out the smaller one one by one.) Saanapu will be too unstable to just finish the job. Nick will want to make a big move - he won't want to compete against Matt in individual immunities, because they share a skill set, and he is already wary because of his chicken power. Also, that big blue tribe has elements that may want to hook back up with their original tribe mates, after being stuck in camp with the Blues, and unable to let off steam by voting anyone off. Think of the merges on Philippines, Cook Island and Tocantins.

Also, the surviving Vavau will be strong, and we may have a Yul/Ozzy or Malcomb/Denise situation.

If they don't swap at 14- how many Vavua will be left by the merge at 12?
We have 15 now so 3 more eliminations meaning Vavau will be down to 3 people? I'm guess that's probably Craig, Conner and Kate? (I'm guessing it goes Kylie, Phoebe, Sue)It's not even a merge at that point.

I don't think they can win an immunity challenge. so maybe they will swap at 14...

Wonder if they will do some other switch up...maybe send 3 players to Vavau?

Andrew what a idiot...every time someone says they control the game,control the people....they are gone!!

So these are the RTV hint phrases:

Survivor - "I control this tribe" - will be voted off in one-two tribal councils
Survivor - "Ill just keep the idol secret for now" - blurts out on the same episode
The Block - "We are on track to finish" - something will go wrong causing massive delays
Masterchef - "Ive cooked this so many times!" - doomed to fail this time
MAFS - "We have so much in common, we are both --- types" - fight and break up

Hi guys I just read through the thread! I run a nightly recap podcast. I know most people love and wait for RHAP (I do at least) but if you are looking for something in the mean time - www.soundcloud.com/survivorau and iTunes www.tinyurl.com/aussurvivor
I've listened to them. I'm so obsessed with the show and the lack of info about it is frustrating.

Not sure I agree with everything you have said but I enjoy it all the same! Good luck with it. I think you are doing well.
---
Here's a question: Will you guys address who the best players are and give Phoebe her just recognition? (Not saying you haven't, but people don't seem to get how well she has done in a few short days)

Rob and Stephen were debating whethe Phoebe had the best 3 episode run of any survivor. I don't know if that's true because I don't know all the history but they agree that she is definitely a star.

I'm hoping she can lay low going forward to the merge but it seems unlikely because she wants to be in control.

I think Phoebe hasn't been given her due and if she hadn't been swapped or hadn't been stuck with Rohan and Kat, two players who never belonged on survivor, she would be running things. She would be my winner pick if she was on US survivor. (She might not win but she would go far.)

She's the best player by far but she will probably go the way of all the good strategists this season.
----
Also: no one has mentioned the high number of guys going home (6/9)which is highly unusual. But the thing is, the guys who have gone were very terrible players(one of them I can't even recall.) Probably the worst assortment of guys on any survivor season. So I'm not sure that means anything. What do you think? Do you agree these have been a bunch of the worst male players ever?
---/
I'm hoping for an end of season podcast that runs through all the bad plays of this season because the list is already long! Not knocking the season because I love every minute of it!

Here's my list:
1. Des outwits himself into not contributing to the tribe from day one.

2. Bianca tries to start making moves at the first tribal council she attends when all she had to do was let what's his name the old guy in the red suit quit. What's his name quits anyway, saving Kat who had been voted out from an entirely different tribe.

3. Barry inexplicably refuses to agree to an alliance yet knows to vote out Nick. Thinks he played with honor.

4.aKylie idiotically wears her idol to tribal council. Nick sets up a wacky split vote that ends up 2-2-2. No one is dumbfounded by this.

4b. Tegan votes herself out by not flipping to vote for Nick.

5. Kat votes out Rohan without ever comprehending he was her key to survival in the game.

6. Rohan votes himself out by not voting for Sue and forcing a tie he had a decent chance at winning.

7. Andy...

Last edited:
Sorry @Rose711
You raise very good points, but I'm afraid I can't share your Phoebe love, and she's my sweep pick!
Until last week she barely made any impact at all, and I think she's just been opportunistic (and lucky) since Rohan was booted. I just can't warm to her at all, and I still don't find her interesting to watch. I want her to win the sweep, but in my heart of heats, I want her gone as soon as possible.

GO PHOEBE!

Sorry @Rose711
You raise very good points, but I'm afraid I can't share your Phoebe love, and she's my sweep pick!
Until last week she barely made any impact at all, and I think she's just been opportunistic (and lucky) since Rohan was booted. I just can't warm to her at all, and I still don't find her interesting to watch. I want her to win the sweep, but in my heart of heats, I want her gone as soon as possible.

GO PHOEBE!
No. You don't understand what she has accomplished. Very few people (if anyone) goes from being down in numbers and the main target, to saving themselves with an idol, to voting with the majority on the next vote, to getting someone to flip on their solid majority alliance. She's doing it all on her own after Rohan left.

It's almost impossible to do that. She's making it look easy. I don't know how to explain but it's really, really hard to move the game from the bottom of the pack with no allies. I still claim it's never been done.

Yes it's oppurtunistic but that's how you play from the bottom. You have to look for cracks and very carefully put thoughts in people's heads.

If you don't believe me listen to RHAP where they talk about her possibly having the best three episodes in English speaking survivor. That's including all 32 seasons of US Survivor with hundreds of players.

Usually the majority target goes home. Maybe they save themselves with an idol, but they never go to vote with the main alliance on the next vote. And they certainly don't flip that alliance against one of their own.

She's made mistakes but she's fantastic. If Rohan had listened to her, he has at least a 50% chance of being in the game. If Kat and Kyrstie had voted with her, Kat would still be playing and there is a good chance they would have taken over the tribe.

Sorry if you don't see that. I don't know how to explain it more clearly.

No. You don't understand what she has accomplished. Very few people (if anyone) goes from being down in numbers and the main target, to saving themselves with an idol, to voting with the majority on the next vote, to getting someone to flip on their solid majority alliance. She's doing it all on her own after Rohan left.

It's almost impossible to do that. She's making it look easy. I don't know how to explain but it's really, really hard to move the game from the bottom of the pack with no allies. I still claim it's never been done.

Yes it's oppurtunistic but that's how you play from the bottom. You have to look for cracks and very carefully put thoughts in people's heads.

If you don't believe me listen to RHAP where they talk about her possibly having the best three episodes in English speaking survivor. That's including all 32 seasons of US Survivor with hundreds of players.

Usually the majority target goes home. Maybe they save themselves with an idol, but they never go to vote with the main alliance on the next vote. And they certainly don't flip that alliance against one of their own.

She's made mistakes but she's fantastic. If Rohan had listened to her, he has at least a 50% chance of being in the game. If Kat and Kyrstie had voted with her, Kat would still be playing and there is a good chance they would have taken over the tribe.

Sorry if you don't see that. I don't know how to explain it more clearly.

I do see that, and thanks for elaborating.
I acknowledge that her current run has seen some gameplay beyond mere "luck", but I don't find her likeable or interesting to watch at all. To each their own though.

I do see that, and thanks for elaborating.
I acknowledge that her current run has seen some gameplay beyond mere "luck", but I don't find her likeable or interesting to watch at all. To each their own though.
True. She isn't likable. I'm worried we are going to end up with a bunch of clueless likable players. Trust me, it isn't as fun to watch them when there is no good strategist around. It becomes very straight forward, even with these players who can't grasp strategy over their petty dislikes. They stick to their solid number from their tribe and take out all the others one by one. If no one from the weaker tribe has the strategy and makes a move to change it, it's not that fun to watch.

(As it was, they had to move footage filmed after Kats boot forward, out of order, to show Andrew as a target, just to make episode 10 more interesting.)

If Phoebe had gone the votes would have been:
Phoebe, Kat, Krystie, Kate (bottom of her tribe), Rohan(saved for last for strength)
Would you have preferred watching when it's obvious who is going home, just because they were in another tribe and came over with fewer numbers? Would you prefer Andrew gloating for week after week about how dominant they are and Sue and Connor just sitting in the background?

Maybe Rohan would have helped them win a few challenges.. Don't know... But it still would have been obvious that the member of the former Aganoa tribe was leaving it would just be the dull choice of which one.

That's what happens when you don't have any strategists who are willing to take risks and fight for their place in the game. What happens is the members of the tribe with fewer people go out one by one.

I'm still predicting that's what happens to Vavau after the merge unless there is a swap. Maybe some old alliances will reform to make it a fair fight.

I've listened to them. I'm so obsessed with the show and the lack of info about it is frustrating.

Not sure I agree with everything you have said but I enjoy it all the same! Good luck with it. I think you are doing well.
---
Here's a question: Will you guys address who the best players are and give Phoebe her just recognition? (Not saying you haven't, but people don't seem to get how well she has done in a few short days)

Rob and Stephen were debating whethe Phoebe had the best 3 episode run of any survivor. I don't know if that's true because I don't know all the history but they agree that she is definitely a star.

I'm hoping she can lay low going forward to the merge but it seems unlikely because she wants to be in control.

I think Phoebe hasn't been given her due and if she hadn't been swapped or hadn't been stuck with Rohan and Kat, two players who never belonged on survivor, she would be running things. She would be my winner pick if she was on US survivor. (She might not win but she would go far.)

She's the best player by far but she will probably go the way of all the good strategists this season.
----
Also: no one has mentioned the high number of guys going home (6/9)which is highly unusual. But the thing is, the guys who have gone were very terrible players(one of them I can't even recall.) Probably the worst assortment of guys on any survivor season. So I'm not sure that means anything. What do you think? Do you agree these have been a bunch of the worst male players ever?
---/
I'm hoping for an end of season podcast that runs through all the bad plays of this season because the list is already long! Not knocking the season because I love every minute of it!

Here's my list:
1. Des outwits himself into not contributing to the tribe from day one.

2. Bianca tries to start making moves at the first tribal council she attends when all she had to do was let what's his name the old guy in the red suit quit. What's his name quits anyway, saving Kat who had been voted out from an entirely different tribe.

3. Barry inexplicably refuses to agree to an alliance yet knows to vote out Nick. Thinks he played with honor.

4.aKylie idiotically wears her idol to tribal council. Nick sets up a wacky split vote that ends up 2-2-2. No one is dumbfounded by this.

4b. Tegan votes herself out by not flipping to vote for Nick.

5. Kat votes out Rohan without ever comprehending he was her key to survival in the game.

6. Rohan votes himself out by not voting for Sue and forcing a tie he had a decent chance at winning.

7. Andy...
Firstly, thank you for listening. :) If we all agreed, it would be boring! We are going very well. We were in the TOP 10 for TV&Movie yesterday and apart from RHAP, ours is the most downloaded Aussie Survivor podcast.

So from our podcast perspective. I've given Phoebe huge credit this week (pre RHAP airing). On Sunday and Monday she got my player of the episode, and really could of got it again on Tuesday, but I decided to give it to Craig for his challenge strength and subsequent decision to take his game into his own hands.

In a podcast this week (Tuesday?) I mentioned how I felt Brooke and El were my prediction at this stage to make it to the end based on the fact there are so many women left in the game! I think it would be smart for them to align to knock out the Sam/Lee types who are good at the individual aspect of the game post "actual" merge.

If you want to go through all the bad plays, send me a DM and i'll have you on to go through them personally. :)

Firstly, thank you for listening. :) If we all agreed, it would be boring! We are going very well. We were in the TOP 10 for TV&Movie yesterday and apart from RHAP, ours is the most downloaded Aussie Survivor podcast.

So from our podcast perspective. I've given Phoebe huge credit this week (pre RHAP airing). On Sunday and Monday she got my player of the episode, and really could of got it again on Tuesday, but I decided to give it to Craig for his challenge strength and subsequent decision to take his game into his own hands.

In a podcast this week (Tuesday?) I mentioned how I felt Brooke and El were my prediction at this stage to make it to the end based on the fact there are so many women left in the game! I think it would be smart for them to align to knock out the Sam/Lee types who are good at the individual aspect of the game post "actual" merge.

If you want to go through all the bad plays, send me a DM and i'll have you on to go through them personally. :)
Nice! It's all good except we will see how this plays out for Craig.

I like rooting for underdogs like Phoebe, there's hardly anyone for me to support otherwise here. But her revealing of the idol to others didn't make sense to me. It could have easily blown up in her face, and if Kristie tells it still could.

Back