Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

...^^^^... that's so excellent Meglos... I may have mentioned this before I'm not sure... I have a grand daughter that is fascinated with the 60's and 70's and is always asking me questions of what life was like back then... when I said that we used to do this and do that and made mention of the fact that there were no such things as mobile phones back then she was gobsmacked lol!... she asked how we communicated with each other and I told her that we used to do something called... 'visiting people' and 'talking to them directly to their faces' and when she asked me how we used to meet girlfriends I told her that we used to do something called 'walking up to them and then talking to them and chatting them up' she looked a tad bit bewildered lol!...

...she just couldn't imagine a world without mobile phones... it makes me wonder just how much she would be lost if she was transported back in Time to the 70's to see for herself lol!... how times have changed eh?... lol!... cheers.

...I remember when I had my first ever full-on tongue kiss when I was 12 years old... she was 17... it was a 'dare' for her... it was an education for me... her name was Veronica... it was my first ever 'love from afar' experience from that point onwards lol!...

...I remember when in England as little brats that my brother and I hid our dad's false teeth that were soaking in a glass in their bedroom because he had punished us for doing something mean to our little sister as usual and when he went into his bedroom he was puzzled because it made him think that he had left them in the kitchen where he used to wash them (we had no bathroom)... when he went off to the kitchen to see if they were there and saw that they weren't he came into our bedroom (where we were grounded) to give us a good belting because he was so angry with us (not knowing that we had quickly put them back)... when he asked us where they were we said that we didn't know and mum called out that they were in the bedroom lol!... he went in there and then came back to us and said that we were grounded for a week!... (that was rather harsh we thought)... mum later pardoned us to just 3 days of being grounded (god love her) lol!... it was so worth it though... lol!...

...I remember one Christmas in England when I pushed my brother into our REAL Christmas tree during a fight and the tree fell over and smashed a lot of the glass ornaments on it... oh man did we cop a belting... mum and dad got their revenge by allowing our sister to open her presents on Christmas morning but wouldn't let us open ours until about 15 minutes before we had to go to bed that night... and even then... we weren't allowed to play with them until the next morning... jeez that killed us lol!...

...I remember some years before that when we were even younger and we still believed in Santa Claus mum and dad used to put our individual presents into a large sack and then they waited until we were fast asleep and then dad would tippy-toe into our room and gently place the sacks on the foot of our beds and when we woke the next morning we were convinced that Santa had delivered it during the night lol!... the year that I realised that Santa wasn't real was when dad did the usual 'putting it on the foot of our bed' routine but didn't realise that he had placed the sack on my feet and was thereby crushing my toes from the weight lol!... I woke up and saw that it was dad as he scurried out of our bedroom lol!... and because I was such a little bastard of a kid I remember waking my brother up just for the pleasure of being able to tell him that there was no such thing as 'Santa Claus' and that it was just dad... he cried and cried and cried until dad came into the room... yep!... I was in big trouble for that I can tell you... dad explained to my brother that Santa was so busy that he dropped the presents off at our doorstep and had asked him to put them into our bedroom for him lol!... but I knew better ;)...

...I remember one Christmas when dad had drank quite a lot of alcohol (not sure what it was) and he kept chasing mum around the flat (she was giggling like a little girl) while holding mistletoe over his head and kept asking her for a kiss lol!... my brother and I just kept saying stuff like "ew!" or "yuk!"... we thought that kissing girls was so disgusting lol!... thank god we changed our minds about that later in our yeas lol!... (I think that my thoughts changed on that from that experience of mine in that first 'I remember' of mine from memory)... lol!... cheers.

lol you and your brother were such little mischiefs @Mr Stickyfingers! Your poor brother finding out about Santa that way though. Naughty!

I know growing up we got one present from Santa which was put on the end of our bed, and I did the same thing with my son. He perpetuated the 'belief' in Santa until he was about 13 because a few years ago he'd asked if I thought Santa was real and I said 'if you don't believe you don't receive' and of course Santa always brought the expensive presents Mum and Dad said no to. Sneaky little bugger lol.

...I remember that when I was probably about 11 or 12 years old that my parents couldn't afford to buy us Christmas presents and our dad built a 'Cavalry Fort' from the Wild West out of recycled rubbish that was lying around at his place of work... we already had the 'Cowboys and Indians' pieces from our Birthdays earlier in the year... dad told me when I was in my 30's that him and mum were embarrassed that they couldn't afford to buy us anything not realising that my brother and I thought that it was the greatest present that we had ever received!... we loved it because it looked just like one of the Cavalry Forts in one of the John Wayne Cowboy movies that we had seen a couple of weeks before... it even had 'hitching posts' to tie the horses to lol!... he was quite chuffed when I told him all those years later just how much we liked it... he asked me as to why we liked it better than anything bought from the stores and I told him that it was because HE built it... he kind of choked up a little when I said that... I really love that memory... he was such a great dad... I miss them both... cheers.

betrayng my age somewhat, but this album cover fascinated me as a young child:

Loveforsale.jpg

...is it just me or is the guy wearing a g-string covered in aluminium foil?

betrayng my age somewhat, but this album cover fascinated me as a young child:

Loveforsale.jpg

...is it just me or is the guy wearing a g-string covered in aluminium foil?
If that's not shadow, it's a very loose fit on him. The woman on the right looks like the bloke in the Madonna clip with the Jesus who comes alive. Also, he looks puny in comparison to the ladies. A bit Prince like.

...I can honestly say that I've never seen that show at all... it was weird to see all of those so-called 'celebrities' so young... lol!... cheers.

i remember the 3 commercial TV networks and "our ABC" ( Auntie )

Monday and Wednesday nights = Cop Shop
Tuesday and Thursday nights = Prisoner

And 9:30pm was THE DON LANE SHOW...where Bert Newton and Don Lane were earning 45,000 to 50,000 a week near the end of the show's run ( 1975 - 82 )

Sunday Night was 60 Minutes followed by a new release SUNDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES

**sighs**

How times have changed

Back