Skip to main content

things i hate that everyone else loves

Gah, I have just remembered my two biggest pet peeves.

I hate Christmas. It has never been enjoyable to me since my Grandpa had a stroke when I was about 9. He used to dress up as Santa and give out coal. After then, we started having Christmas at home. Which involved me flying home last year on crutches, driving an hour in a hire car, walking upstairs, waiting 2 hours for my sister who lives half an hour away then hearing my mum and sister bitch about me for the rest of the day, calling me lazy, because I didn't cook and clean for them.

Even worse than Christmas is Secret Santa. The manipulation to participate. The passive aggressive you receive if you don't participate. Sorry, I'd rather spend my $10 on charity giving food to people who need it rather than giving rubbish to people who have to much and are just going to chuck my gift out
I liked but not because of you hating Christmas - but because of the Secret Santa thing. and giving rubbish just for the sake of it - I think it WOULD be more in line with Christmas if people instead nominated and gave to a charity on behalf of the person they have to give to. I think I'd be tempted to "give" them a voucher from a charity that tells them they've donated 3 goats to a village or something helpful like that! But the whole idea of a Secret Santa in an office of people leaves me cold.

How about celebrating Birthdays? What is the feel on that?

I'm more than happy to make a big deal about it for others but feel so awkward to do this myself and tend to not advertise my birthday. It feels a bit arbitrary to celebrate it any serious way, yet I never think this about others or their choice to do so.

Maybe I just don't like joyous occasions.

I just realized this is the first time I've seen you post an emoticon.

Yes it's quite a rare sight to behold. I might use it fit illustrative purposes, not so much to actually convey emotion or tone, but there it is; July 5 2015 10:47pm.

How about celebrating Birthdays? What is the feel on that?
love to celebrate with friends and family - OTHER people's birthdays that is

for me I'm rarely at home with my own family (parents, siblings and their families) for occasions other than weddings and sadly, funerals, so always feel some important part of me is missing ... so I put a lot of effort into special 'days' (birthdays, Christmas Day, Mother's Day for other people to enjoy but yeah ... always feel a tad homesick - not for NZ as such but for MY family ... and after 30+ years it doesn't go away ...

Back