Skip to main content

My Kitchen Rules 2015

...hahaha!... yeah... she was one nasty piece of work alright... my boss two steps up tried to sack me 3 times!... he wasn't a bitch though... just as dumb as shit lol!... oh those fun days!... I miss them sooooo much!... not!... lol!... (I outlasted them all lol!)... cheers.
Wow, you sound like you were a renegade ... or a very naughty boy, lol.

Wow, you sound like you were a renegade ... or a very naughty boy, lol.

...lol!... both my friend... both... big time!... lol!... I was in the same job in a Pharmaceutical Company and running 4 warehouses as a leading hand/team leader during that time for 34 years!... :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:... of those 34 years I was the union delegate for 26 years and had to do all of the fighting against dumb-arsed managers of all various kinds that came and left during that time... I was threatened with being sacked on probably about 20 or 30 occasions in that time and on 5 occassions actions were taken to sack me... that woman being two of the attempts by being set up for a fall by her... (hence my anger at the mother on MKR)... lol!... so yeah... it was a lot of fun to say the least... lol!... but anyhow... there you have it lol!... such happy days!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:... cheers.;):)

Oh my God!

How cute were those two girls last night?!

I thought it was quite an average cook, but definately extra points for them being cuter than a box of hamsters!!!!

The whole "bland food" thing annoys me a bit. We have judges who like strong flavours, but should someone be marked down severely for perfectly cooked fish just because it doesn't burn with chili or taste strongly of garlic? I have quite mild tastes myself, I don't even put salt & pepper on most things, and I don't think I would add spices I didn't like just to please somebody else. I've never really noticed if there is salt & pepper (or things like tomato or hot sauce) on the table or do they have to eat the meals exactly as they are served up? But then I'm not in a cooking competition and I think most of the stuff they serve up is pretty unpalatable. "Perfectly cooked barramundi" sounds yum, with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon. Chili barramundi, I probably wouldn't eat at all.

...that's a really good point Meglos... what is wrong dishing up non spicy or tangy food?... just put stuff on the table to nurture their own tastes perhaps?... I never thought about that before... a good point indeed... cheers.

The whole "bland food" thing annoys me a bit. We have judges who like strong flavours, but should someone be marked down severely for perfectly cooked fish just because it doesn't burn with chili or taste strongly of garlic? I have quite mild tastes myself, I don't even put salt & pepper on most things, and I don't think I would add spices I didn't like just to please somebody else. I've never really noticed if there is salt & pepper (or things like tomato or hot sauce) on the table or do they have to eat the meals exactly as they are served up? But then I'm not in a cooking competition and I think most of the stuff they serve up is pretty unpalatable. "Perfectly cooked barramundi" sounds yum, with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon. Chili barramundi, I probably wouldn't eat at all.

...that's a really good point Meglos... what is wrong dishing up non spicy or tangy food?... just put stuff on the table to nurture their own tastes perhaps?... I never thought about that before... a good point indeed... cheers.
Yes yes YES!!! Bland to one person would be perfectly seasoned to another. To me bland is without any salt. I can't stand it when food is unsalted. CaspersDad loves garlic in everything. Me not so much.

By the looks of the previews tonight the food from the WA girls appears to about blow Manu's head off.

I do love this show. :D

Oh my God!

How cute were those two girls last night?!

I thought it was quite an average cook, but definately extra points for them being cuter than a box of hamsters!!!!

...they were like two little Mary Poppins doing the cooking... as cute as buttons but the big question is the Live trials and serving the public... it took them 2 hours to cook the main meal didn't it?... they will have mere minutes to cook the meals... they did quite good though... all credit to them...

Yes yes YES!!! Bland to one person would be perfectly seasoned to another. To me bland is without any salt. I can't stand it when food is unsalted. CaspersDad loves garlic in everything. Me not so much.

By the looks of the previews tonight the food from the WA girls appears to about blow Manu's head off.

I do love this show. :D

...I'm a garlic person too... I love the stuff... (I've never been bitten by a vampire yet lol!)... I love this show too... (I don't like Pete much at all though... he develops 'favourites' and always scores them well even when Manu and all of the contestants vote badly for his 'favourites'... that's how I see it anyway... cheers.

I wonder, all that time cooking and waiting, would they serve the meals cold? How does that work? The horseradish mash was done at least an hour before the pork was finished..

I wonder, all that time cooking and waiting, would they serve the meals cold? How does that work? The horseradish mash was done at least an hour before the pork was finished..

...ha!... another good point that I've not really thought about before... you know yourself... when you're cooking a main meal some things cook quicker then others... keeping things 'warm' is an art in itself at times... trying not to let things get cold or even dry out is almost a science to be learned lol!...

...they said that the girls had taken 2 hours to cook the main meal... I have always had a sneaking feeling that they have 'off-camera secret helpers' or 'nursemaids' that look after little things like that in the background... maybe I'm just a suspicious little munchkin eh?... lol!... but yeah!... a great question there shadow2... cheers.

Last year in TV Week in one of the MKR features I read that most (if not all) the meals are served stone cold, for a number of reasons including breaks in filming (there is no way the contestants eat immediately after Pete & Manu). So (imo) the judging is a bit of a farce anyway, kind of like an estimate of what the meal would be like under normal circumstances

Yeah cold food is never going to taste as good if it isn't meant to be cold. I've read the same thing about Masterchef food, stone cold.

I've also wondered about when they do their pieces to camera, is it throughout the day/evening or do they get asked things retrospectively where they are supposed to answer as if they don't know what happened next? Because doing the commentaries as they go would really slow things down.

I reckon that fish would have been yum, but I guess it comes down to if it is what was actually listed in the menu, and it didn't have the traditional flavours of Mexico. But I suppose you could argue it is their interpretation of Mexico.

Last year in TV Week in one of the MKR features I read that most (if not all) the meals are served stone cold, for a number of reasons including breaks in filming (there is no way the contestants eat immediately after Pete & Manu). So (imo) the judging is a bit of a farce anyway, kind of like an estimate of what the meal would be like under normal circumstances

Yeah cold food is never going to taste as good if it isn't meant to be cold. I've read the same thing about Masterchef food, stone cold.

...lol!... so why do they call the home cook-offs 'instant restaurants' then?... an 'instant restaurant' should be serving piping hot food shouldn't it?... isn't that a contradiction of terms?... lol!... cheers.

...ha!... another good point that I've not really thought about before... you know yourself... when you're cooking a main meal some things cook quicker then others... keeping things 'warm' is an art in itself at times... trying not to let things get cold or even dry out is almost a science to be learned lol!...

...they said that the girls had taken 2 hours to cook the main meal... I have always had a sneaking feeling that they have 'off-camera secret helpers' or 'nursemaids' that look after little things like that in the background... maybe I'm just a suspicious little munchkin eh?... lol!... but yeah!... a great question there shadow2... cheers.
Cheers Sticky!!

And whilst I'm on topic, wouldn't they practice practice practice these dishes so they get it right on the night? I'd like to know what goes on behind the scenes

And whilst I'm on topic, wouldn't they practice practice practice these dishes so they get it right on the night? I'd like to know what goes on behind the scenes

...haha!... I would like to see the behind-the-scenes thing myself... what I don't understand is... they have 3 hours to get everything prepared BEFORE THEY EVEN GET THERE... even with all of that time they never have it ready on time!... I cook all of the meals at home because I love it!... (the sweet darling wife doesn't mind at all lol!)...I'm not a chef or even a really great cook as far as I'm concerned... (my wife differs in her opinion)... but it never takes me THAT long to cook anything!...

...I've actually cooked for about 20 at a family function in our home and had everything done and dusted before anybody even got here to eat it!!!... so I don't understand why these people fail so miserably all of the time?... I'm sure a lot of it is to create drama for the cutaway scenes to commercial breaks etc to be honest... and as you say... the day before you would practice practice practice with a full trial run wouldn't you?... you'd get family members to tell if it's shit or not surely?... lol!... anyhow... they're my thoughts on it ... cheers.

...haha!... I would like to see the behind-the-scenes thing myself... what I don't understand is... they have 3 hours to get everything prepared BEFORE THEY EVEN GET THERE... even with all of that time they never have it ready on time!... I cook all of the meals at home because I love it!... (the sweet darling wife doesn't mind at all lol!)...I'm not a chef or even a really great cook as far as I'm concerned... (my wife differs in her opinion)... but it never takes me THAT long to cook anything!...

...I've actually cooked for about 20 at a family function in our home and had everything done and dusted before anybody even got here to eat it!!!... so I don't understand why these people fail so miserably all of the time?... I'm sure a lot of it is to create drama for the cutaway scenes to commercial breaks etc to be honest... and as you say... the day before you would practice practice practice with a full trial run wouldn't you?... you'd get family members to tell if it's shit or not surely?... lol!... anyhow... they're my thoughts on it ... cheers.

I would love to see you on the show! You would show them how it is done!!!! I can imagine your Menus LOL

I would love to see you on the show! You would show them how it is done!!!! I can imagine your Menus LOL

...I do a great Lobster Mornay and my pork spare ribs people die for lol!... I've only been cooking for about 6 years now and I'm learning how to cook meals from other countries at the moment and am experimenting on my dear wife and myself lolol!... she's a great critic... and very harsh too lol!... she gives me a score out of 10... 10 being the highest... I usually average an 8 or 9 most times... the trouble is... I can't live with that lol!... when I get a 10 it's 'high 5's' all around... (I love those moments lol!)... I'm learning all the time... I call myself a 'learnatic"... lol!... cheers.

It drives be crazy that they don't do practice runs, and they don't have recipes either. I assume they are not allowed to have written recipes, otherwise why wouldn't you? It's one thing to do small batches from memory, but not all of us are used to cooking for 20 people like Mr Stickyfingers, lol. And why don't they measure things out either, especially when we so often see it go wrong.

I felt for the girls tonight, especially with grandma's wonton recipe. The wontons looked great, but I don't like too much ginger, so I doubt I would have liked it.

Last edited:
Back