Skip to main content

2014 Media Articles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Brother star Tully Smyth pens moving dedication to housemate Ben Zabel after his drug overdose writing: ‘You’re stronger, braver, more beautiful than you think...’
By Danielle Gusmaroli for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 01:04 AEST, 28 November 2014 | Updated: 01:37 AEST, 28 November 2014

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...other-s-Ben-Zabel-drug-overdose.html#comments
    They grew close in the confines of the Big Brother house last year and have remained close on 'the outside'.

And television personality Tully Smyth chose her blog as a platform to pay a moving dedication to her former housemate Ben Zabel as he recovers from a prescription drug overdose, penning: 'I love you, you’re stronger...than you think.'

The 32-year-old Brisbane comedian, known for his dry humour and quick wit, is resting at home having previously opened up about his on-going battle with depression.

238CF3CC00000578-2851895-image-3_1417098357202.jpg

Touching: Former Big Brother star Tully Smyth, pictured last month in Melbourne, paid a moving dedication to housemate Ben Zabel as he recovers from a drug overdose, penning: 'I love you...'

233A51E500000578-2851895-On_the_mend_Funnyman_Ben_from_Brisbane_has_previously_told_of_hi-18_1417101747701.jpg

On the mend: Funnyman Ben from Brisbane has previously told of his struggles with depression

Tully, 26, uploaded a lengthy tribute entitled Beautiful Ben to her blog Young Blood Social on Thursday writing: 'I hope he knows how much he is loved.

'He is stronger, braver, more beautiful than he thinks. If he doesn't we'll all be here to enlighten him.'

The reality star was admitted to hospital on 15 November and the following uploaded an image of his hospital wristband with the message: 'Thank you to all the staff at Royal Brisbane' alongside the hashtags 'depression' 'anxiety' and overdose'.

238D27D500000578-2851895-image-10_1417100025050.jpg

Heartfelt: Tully shared a lengthy tribute entitled Beautiful Ben to her blog Young Blood Social on Thursday writing: 'I hope he knows how much he is loved...'

238D27C000000578-2851895-image-17_1417101253331.jpg

He's hilarious: Tully wrote than Ben would have the entire house laughing with his quick wit, sleazy pick up lines and intelligent observations

238D27CF00000578-2851895-image-19_1417101788603.jpg

Brilliant, intelligent, loyal, kind: Tully described Ben's best qualities...

A statement released by Ben's representative Jeremy Hansen read: 'On Saturday evening (15th November) Ben Zabel suffered a prescription drug overdose.

'He was treated by paramedics on the scene in his apartment and was later transported to the Royal Brisbane Hospital for further treatment.

233C91EC00000578-2851895-image-12_1417100124507.jpg

Speaking out: Ben told followers: 'I hope in being open about my battle with #mentalhealth, might serve to help others by breaking the stigma'

2339D96700000578-2851895-image-20_1417102100908.jpg

Healing: The reality star uploaded an image of his hospital admittance wristband, with the message 'Thank you to all the staff at Royal Brisbane'

'Ben was released from hospital yesterday afternoon and is now home recovering. We ask for privacy for Ben, his family and his friends at this time.'

The former housemate has spoken about his battles with mental illness extensively in the past year, revealing his diagnosis lead to discrimination in the workplace.

He said: 'I used to just make a joke and fob the question away, as I was too embarrassed to admit, anxiety and depression got the better of me in the workplace.'

234A3F0C00000578-2851895-image-22_1417102452617.jpg

Breaking taboos: Ben has been open about his fight with depression in a bid to break the stigma

He was referring to a Facebook post in which he said Virgin Australia had dismissed him from his post because of his condition.

He said: 'The main reason I broke my silence (some of you already knew) on how I left Virgin, was that many lovely folks stop me in the street and kindly ask me if I'll ever consider returning to flying, sometime in the future.

'I then felt like I was lying to myself and lying to all of you by not telling you the full story. I pride myself on being genuine & honest and Mum has always said, 'The truth shall set you free'.

For confidential help, call Lifeline at 13 11 14 or visit https://www.lifeline.org.au/

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-s-Ben-Zabel-drug-overdose.html#ixzz3KI2TvMs0

TV ratings 2014: finales of Big Brother, The Big Adventure, Beauty and the Geek crash in final week
November 28, 2014 4:41PM
by: By Colin Vickery National TV Writer

THE final week of the 2014 TV ratings year was an utter flop with hardly any shows on the commercial TV networks cracking the 1 million viewer benchmark.

Channels Seven, Nine and Ten all struggled to find a hit even though the final week of ratings is traditionally the time the networks roll out their big guns.

Not this year.

The finales of The Big Adventure, Big Brother and Beauty and the Geek Australia have all been duds.

The Big Adventure finale averaged a disappointing 628,000 viewers across Australia’s five capital cities with the short Winner Announced segment rising to 649,000.

That was despite tradie Mark Sellar winning a massive $1 million prize money during the episode.

Big Brother - Winner Announced slumped to 737,000 viewers – a near 50 per cent drop from the 1.4 million that watched last year’s finale. Surfer Ryan Ginns took home $200,000.

Beauty and the Geek Australia’s final episode languished on 548,000 - down 31 per cent on last year (803,000). Nick Hamilton and Candice Stinson won the $100,000 prize.

The only finale to post a respectable figure was Dancing with the Stars with 1.063 million viewers – but that was 23 per cent down on last year’s 1.38 million. Former AFL footballer David Rodan and dance partner Melanie Hooper claimed the mirrorball trophy.

Last night things were so bad that Nine aired old repeats of New Tricks and Midsomer Murders which usually screen on its digital channel GEM.

The move backfired with New Tricks (438,000) and Midsomer Murders (193,000) barely putting up a fight.

Last night’s A Current Affair, a special One Direction edition, can be added to the flop list with 547,000 viewers, possibly due to the show’s older demographic, but also because all anyone wanted to hear about last night was the tragic death of cricketer Phillip Hughes, who wasn’t even mentioned on the show.

“The networks aren’t ending 2014 with a bang, they’re ending it with a whimper,” media analyst Steve Allen says. “A puppy would have more bark.”

Ten’s highest rating shows this week have been Gold Coast Cops (772,000) and NCIS (700,000). Ten has also been getting some traction with Madam Secretary (560,000).

Nine scored well with the One Day Cricket – Australia v South Africa (1.171 million) and The Big Bang Theory (1.044 million).

Seven grabbed respectable figures for Criminal Minds (800,000) and Home and Away (a high of 882,000 on Monday).

The ABC has got good returns from Australian Story (996,000), Countdown: Do Yourself a Favour (919,000), Shaun Micallef’s Mad as Hell (733,000) and Cilla (728,000).

536946-bfc6d4f6-76b5-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

Oh, Brother ... Big Brother is unlikely to return next year with viewers well down on last year. Source: Supplied

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...sh-in-final-week/story-e6frfmyi-1227138538474

http://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/big-brother-winner-ryan-set-ride-across-india-his-/2468187/

Big Brother winner Ryan set to ride across India for his mum

9-2595037-scn271114ryan2_fct912x684x112.0_t600.jpg
Big Brother 2014 winner Ryan Ginns is congratulated by his fellow housemates. Supplied by Channel 9. Please credit photo to Paul Broben. Paul Broben
BIG Brother winner Ryan Ginns plans to spend some quality time with his Sunshine Coast family once the dust settles from Wednesday's season finale.

The 26-year-old spent 80 days in the Big Brother house isolated from the outside world, including his three sisters and Mooloolaba-based parents Dez and Judy Ginns.

Ginns will celebrate his father's birthday this weekend and plans to spend Christmas on the Coast.

"$200K is a big incentive to make the trip home a bit more to see Mum and Dad," he said.

"I'm not going to lie, Dad's always been so generous and I've always been a bit of a shocker when it comes to birthday and Christmas presents so this year I might have to splash out."

Ryan auditioned for Channel 9's The Block and was unsuccessful, but a phone call from Big Brother producers prompted Ryan to audition for Big Brother.

While he has previously spoken of his ambitions to open a bar in Bondi, where he now lives, Ginns said he's not going to rush into anything with his $200,000 windfall.

Ginns does have a trip to India planned with fellow housemate Sam Bramham.

"We're going to do a motorbike trip our winter coming up through India and raise some money for MS Australia," he said.

During his final month in the house he received a letter from his dad Dez which included an important update on his mum's health. She will be the inspiration behind the ride across India as she suffers from Multiple Sclerosis.

"When Mum and Dad came in (to the Big Brother house) I was like 'Dad that letter you sent me was so emotional'," he said.

"I read it every night before bed. It was a nice thing to touch home with."

The former Matthew Flinders Anglican College and University of the Sunshine Coast student credits his Big Brother win to his hometown support.

After a whirlwind 24 hours, Dez and Judy said they only had about 15 minutes with their popular son.

The both say Ryan was completely himself and made the family proud during his time at the Dreamworld-based reality show.

9-2596481-scn271114bigbro01_t280.jpg

Judy and Dez Ginns at home in Mooloolaba, are celebrating their son Ryan's win in Big Brother 2014. Photo: Iain Curry / Sunshine Coast Daily Iain Curry
Dez and Judy travelled to the Gold Coast for the grand finale and through a cloud of stage smog, they entered the Big Brother house briefly to give their son a hug after his was crowned the winner.

"The first thing Ryan said when he saw us was, mum, you look amazing and that's so Ryan," Dez said.

"We're a really close family so it's been strange not having contact with Ryan for 12 weeks."When asked how many times the family voted for Ryan, Dez replied

"I'd say we are on the Telstra frequent program now."

Ryan's parents said a huge circle of friends also chipped in with a "massive" amount of votes to 'save'.

But it was the larger Australian pool of viewers who chose Ryan as their 2014 winner.

"Ryan is a thinker and that is what I think drew people in," Dez said.

"He focuses on the good, he doesn't like confrontation of fighting and if there is fighting he will bring that to an end so people can get on with their day.

"He was happy to have a laugh at himself and I think people liked that.

"Dez said every housemate that had been voted off the show had contacted the Ginns family to express their love for Ryan and chat to the parents they'd heard so much about.

'Let Lawson cheat with you!' Big Brother's Sam Bramham gets cheeky during boys' night out as he posts callout for girls who want to meet Lawson...while Cat is no-show
By Alicia Vrajlal for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 16:38 AEST, 29 November 2014 | Updated: 16:38 AEST, 29 November 2014

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ls-want-meet-Lawson-Cat-no-show.html#comments
    He's trying to put the Big Brother controversy behind him, after cheating on girlfriend Candice Leeder with older housemate Cat Law.

But it seems Lawson Reeves is going to be haunted by his wrong doings for a while, especially since he's moved to Melbourne to be closer to his new lady love.

During a night out on the town on Friday, Lawson's old Big Brother housemate and now new real-life housemate Sam Bramham was quick to remind everyone of 23-year-old Lawson's cheating ways.

2395FC8000000578-2853813-image-124_1417241909816.jpg

Blast from the past: During a night out on the town on Friday, Lawson Reeves' old Big Brother housemate and now new real-life housemate Sam Bramham was quick to remind everyone of the 23-year-old's cheating ways

Taking to Instagram with a fun photo of himself with Lawson, paralympian Sam wrote: 'Get down here and let lawson cheat with you'.

Enjoying some drinks at Melbourne hot spot Zucca Rossa, Sam was casually dressed in a white singlet while Lawson sported a black collared shirt.

Sam's cheeky caption certainly captured the attention of many dedicated Big Brother fans, with one fan even speculating Lawson and Cat are already over.

Midwife Cat was nowhere to be seen in the photo, after having been by her younger lover's side on Wednesday night at the reality show's finale and after party on the Gold Coast.

238776D600000578-2853813-image-123_1417241884927.jpg

Love rat: Lawson cheated on girlfriend Candice Leeder with housemate Cat Law

But the couple didn't look as loved up as series winner Ryan Ginns expected.

He told Daily Mail Australia: 'Surprisingly enough they weren't too hands on, it was a little bit odd to me... I kind of thought they would be a couple.

'They seemed really happy but they weren't all over each other or anything like that.'

Meanwhile Sam has been enjoying some saucy mischief of his own.

The flirtatious friendship between Sam and Sandra Nixon was a contentious one in the house because Sam had a girlfriend on the outside.

238C0D2B00000578-2853813-image-125_1417241927265.jpg

Living up to the promise: 'So if I was going to win, Sam and Sandy were going to kiss,' Ryan explained in a video posted to Instagram earlier in the week

Now single and ready to mingle, the 26-year-old made good on his promise to kiss the sales assistant from country NSW if Ryan won Big Brother.

'So if I was going to win, Sam and Sandy were going to kiss,' Ryan explained in a video posted to Instagram.

'We did promise,' Sam said to the camera before Sandra wrapped her hands around the Paralympian's neck and pulled him in for a lingering, passionate kiss.

The person behind the camera commentated with an 'Oh my God', before Sam broke free and acknowledged that the deed was completed, 'done!'

Sandra posted the clip to her Instagram page, captioned: 'I'm not one to go back on a promise so here it is. This one's for you Ginnsy.'

238C0D3800000578-2853813-image-126_1417241931818.jpg

Sealing the deal: Sandra and Sam indeed locked lips for the camera

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...nt-meet-Lawson-Cat-no-show.html#ixzz3KSfQcpVK

'First Big Brother baby!' Travis' mother thinks her son and Aisha are so well matched they'll be the first couple to have a child after finding love inside the house
By Amy Croffey for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 11:06 AEST, 30 November 2014 | Updated: 12:20 AEST, 30 November 2014

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...child-finding-love-inside-house.html#comments
    They were this year's Big Brother love story - and now Travis Lunardi and Aisha McKinnon have left the house, their romance is still going strong.

So strong, Travis' mother Cheryl thinks they might even be the first Big Brother Australia couple to have a reality show baby.

The Italian mother, who the audience met through her appearances on the show, told The Sunday Telegraph she wouldn't be shocked if her son and Aisha have the first 'Big Brother baby'.

2387778300000578-0-image-19_1417306158276.jpg

Love story continues! Travis Lunardi's mother Cheryl thinks that her son and Aisha McKinnon might be the first couple to have a Big Brother Australia baby

238A73CB00000578-2854485-image-30_1417306751084.jpg

Meeting the in-laws! Cheryl says she may be a grandmother soon because Travis and Aisha are so well-suited

2387775300000578-2854485-image-23_1417306187710.jpg

Baby Aish! The handsome pair are still inseparable, but since their love story no longer continues on television screens, they have taken to their social networking pages to keep their fans in the loop

The handsome pair are still inseparable, but since their love story no longer continues on television screens, they have taken to their social networking pages to keep their fans in the loop.

Aisha shared a flirty shot on Saturday as she sat on her beau's lap in the back of a car.

Travis wore a pair of dark-rimmed glasses and the model couldn't help but poke fun at the marketing professional.

'If you have lost your glasses Clark Kent stole them on the plane yesterday #ChicGeek,' she wrote.

The 24-year-old was the runner-up on Wednesday's night Channel Nine finale, with Ryan Ginns taking home the top spot.

2387777500000578-2854485-image-21_1417306172866.jpg

Second place! The 24-year-old was runner-up on Wednesday's Channel Nine finale, Ryan Ginns taking out first

Speaking with Daily Mail Australia on Thursday morning, he said he was hoping to convince Aisha to move from Sydney to Melbourne so they can be together.

'She's living in Sydney and I'm in Melbourne so that's one thing we're going to have to come together and have a bit of an arm wrestle and see who comes out on top,' he said.

'I'm always rooting for Melbourne over Sydney. I suppose I'll invite her over and try to woo her with the city of Melbourne and hopefully she'll come down.

'I love Melbourne but I also love Aisha so we'll see what happens.'

2387779200000578-2854485-image-25_1417306220365.jpg

next step: Speaking with Daily Mail Australia on Thursday morning, Travis said he was hoping to convince Aisha to move from Sydney to Melbourne so they can be together

While he was still confined to the Big Brother set, Travis' mother took the liberty of visiting his new girlfriend for a glass of champagne.

'It was weird actually because usually I'd be the one to introduce the new girl in your life to your mother but my mother took it on her own accord,' he said of their meeting.

'My family have definitely accepted her into the family as one of their own already, so hopefully it doesn't scare her off because my family are a little crazy,' he added. 'But I suppose so am I and that's what she loves about me!'

239AB4DC00000578-0-image-27_1417306446760.jpg

Loved up! Aisha shared a flirty shot on Saturday as she sat on her beau's lap in the back of a car

239AB5EC00000578-2854485-image-28_1417306460860.jpg

Getting to know each other: While he was still confined to the Big Brother set, Travis' mother took the liberty of visiting his new girlfriend for a glass of champagne

'I've just gotta hope now that my mum doesn't steal her from me,' he joked.

Meanwhile, series winner Ryan also told DMA he believes the pair have what it takes to make it last on the outside.

'I think their relationship's solid, he said, 'I think they're really cool people and I reckon they'll go the distance.'

For now, the pair are excited for some time alone, with no cameras to watch them.

238A81FB00000578-2854485-image-29_1417306466051.jpg

Watch this space: Series winner Ryan also told DMA he believes the pair have what it takes to make it last on the outside

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-finding-love-inside-house.html#ixzz3KWoSyZDE

'First Big Brother baby!' Travis' mother thinks her son and Aisha are so well matched they'll be the first couple to have a child after finding love inside the house
By Amy Croffey for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 11:06 AEST, 30 November 2014 | Updated: 12:20 AEST, 30 November 2014

• They were this year's Big Brother love story - and now Travis Lunardi and Aisha McKinnon have left the house, their romance is still going strong.

So strong, Travis' mother Cheryl thinks they might even be the first Big Brother Australia couple to have a reality show baby.

The Italian mother, who the audience met through her appearances on the show, told The Sunday Telegraph she wouldn't be shocked if her son and Aisha have the first 'Big Brother baby'.

2387778300000578-0-image-19_1417306158276.jpg

Love story continues! Travis Lunardi's mother Cheryl thinks that her son and Aisha McKinnon might be the first couple to have a Big Brother Australia baby

238A73CB00000578-2854485-image-30_1417306751084.jpg

Meeting the in-laws! Cheryl says she may be a grandmother soon because Travis and Aisha are so well-suited

2387775300000578-2854485-image-23_1417306187710.jpg

Baby Aish! The handsome pair are still inseparable, but since their love story no longer continues on television screens, they have taken to their social networking pages to keep their fans in the loop

The handsome pair are still inseparable, but since their love story no longer continues on television screens, they have taken to their social networking pages to keep their fans in the loop.

Aisha shared a flirty shot on Saturday as she sat on her beau's lap in the back of a car.

Travis wore a pair of dark-rimmed glasses and the model couldn't help but poke fun at the marketing professional.

'If you have lost your glasses Clark Kent stole them on the plane yesterday #ChicGeek,' she wrote.

The 24-year-old was the runner-up on Wednesday's night Channel Nine finale, with Ryan Ginns taking home the top spot.

2387777500000578-2854485-image-21_1417306172866.jpg

Second place! The 24-year-old was runner-up on Wednesday's Channel Nine finale, Ryan Ginns taking out first

Speaking with Daily Mail Australia on Thursday morning, he said he was hoping to convince Aisha to move from Sydney to Melbourne so they can be together.

'She's living in Sydney and I'm in Melbourne so that's one thing we're going to have to come together and have a bit of an arm wrestle and see who comes out on top,' he said.

'I'm always rooting for Melbourne over Sydney. I suppose I'll invite her over and try to woo her with the city of Melbourne and hopefully she'll come down.

2387779200000578-2854485-image-25_1417306220365.jpg

next step: Speaking with Daily Mail Australia on Thursday morning, Travis said he was hoping to convince Aisha to move from Sydney to Melbourne so they can be together

While he was still confined to the Big Brother set, Travis' mother took the liberty of visiting his new girlfriend for a glass of champagne.

'It was weird actually because usually I'd be the one to introduce the new girl in your life to your mother but my mother took it on her own accord,' he said of their meeting.

'My family have definitely accepted her into the family as one of their own already, so hopefully it doesn't scare her off because my family are a little crazy,' he added. 'But I suppose so am I and that's what she loves about me!'

239AB4DC00000578-0-image-27_1417306446760.jpg

Loved up! Aisha shared a flirty shot on Saturday as she sat on her beau's lap in the back of a car

239AB5EC00000578-2854485-image-28_1417306460860.jpg

Getting to know each other: While he was still confined to the Big Brother set, Travis' mother took the liberty of visiting his new girlfriend for a glass of champagne

'I've just gotta hope now that my mum doesn't steal her from me,' he joked.

Meanwhile, series winner Ryan also told DMA he believes the pair have what it takes to make it last on the outside.

'I think their relationship's solid, he said, 'I think they're really cool people and I reckon they'll go the distance.'

For now, the pair are excited for some time alone, with no cameras to watch them.

238A81FB00000578-2854485-image-29_1417306466051.jpg

Watch this space: Series winner Ryan also told DMA he believes the pair have what it takes to make it last on the outside

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-finding-love-inside-house.html#ixzz3KWoSyZDE
What would this paper do without Instagram ?

Mix-up forces pregnant Sonia Kruger to miss Big Brother wrap party
November 29, 2014 2:59PM
by: Amy Harris

SONIA Kruger, who is 29 weeks pregnant with her first child, was forced to miss the Big Brother wrap party last week after a snafu by production company Endemol.

It’s understood BB producers forgot that the Hilton Hotel on the Gold Coast is located inside the Schoolies Week “no-drive zone”.

Kruger’s only option was to travel a few blocks on foot — no easy feat for a heavily pregnant woman in heels so she had to skip the shindig.

It’s understood Nine brass were fuming about the mix-up.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...other-wrap-party/story-fn8yvfst-1227139823317

'I'm unapologetically Indian': Big Brother's Priya reveals the racial backlash since leaving the house and says Australian television needs greater ethnic diversity

Published: 19:20 AEST, 3 December 2014 | Updated: 19:35 AEST, 3 December 2014

• She finished fourth on this year’s season of Big Brother Australia, defeating some of the biggest personalities on the reality show.

And according to 27-year-old Priya Malik, staying true to herself and her cultural identity was a key to her success.

The Adelaide-based school teacher who entered the house wearing traditional Indian attire, said while she has experienced some racial discrimination since leaving the show, a greater sense of cultural diversity in Australian television is essential.

237E22EF00000578-0-image-80_1417592042589.jpg

Proud: Big Brother's Priya Malik says she is proud of her Indian heritage and that Australian television needs more cultural diversity on its screens

‘I think Australian media does need a bit of ethnic diversity considering one in every four Australians are born overseas,’ she told Daily Mail Australia on Wednesday from an Ambi Pur event on the Gold Coast.

‘I don’t think we see that very much when we watch TV,’ she said, explaining a true reflection of the nation’s multicultural mix is not always translated onscreen.

As the first housemate to enter the house this season, Priya decided to wear a traditional Indian dress for her onscreen debut.

And through her time on the show she said she was ‘unapologetically Indian’, with the motive to break racial stereotypes.

238A781800000578-0-image-83_1417592106474.jpg

Patriotic: As the first housemate to enter the house this season, Priya decided to wear a traditional Indian dress for her onscreen debut

‘It’s not something I’m going to deny about myself,’ she said of her ethnicity.

‘I think your culture does shape you to a large extent.’

For the reality star who moved to Australia a few years ago with her husband Bhushan, facing racial discrimination after appearing on a national show was not unexpected.

2376CDDC00000578-2858668-image-91_1417592310623.jpg

Taking a stand: Through her time on the show she said she was ‘unapologetically Indian’, with the motive to break racial stereotypes

‘There has been a lot of race based comments on social media,’ she explained of the backlash since leaving the house.

But for the outspoken personality who hopes to return to teaching, looking at the positives and ‘concentrating on the love’ is her main focus.

‘The fact that I came fourth, that speaks for itself that people are very accepting of a person of a different colour on the TV screen.’

23B193FC00000578-2858668-Cultural_reference_Priya_was_promoted_as_Posh_Spice_before_she_e-90_1417592284719.jpg

Cultural reference: Priya was promoted as Posh Spice before she entered the Big Brother house in September

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...s-greater-ethnic-diversity.html#ixzz3Kpfh1Xod

SONIA Kruger, who is 29 weeks pregnant with her first child, was forced to miss the Big Brother wrap party last week after a snafu by production company Endemol.

It’s understood BB producers forgot that the Hilton Hotel on the Gold Coast is located inside the Schoolies Week “no-drive zone”.

Kruger’s only option was to travel a few blocks on foot — no easy feat for a heavily pregnant woman in heels so she had to skip the shindig.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...other-wrap-party/story-fn8yvfst-1227139823317
What no pedicabs? No one could carry her in on their shoulders? She couldnt take off the heels?

'The show is going to be therapy for me': Big Brother's Ben Zabel says his new comedy program has helped him after his prescription drug overdose
By Alicia Vrajlal and Laura Evans for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 11:26 AEST, 4 December 2014 | Updated: 14:23 AEST, 4 December 2014

Big Brother's Ben Zabel says his new comedy show A Quiet Night In will provide the therapy he needs since his prescription drug overdose in November.

The 32-year-old, who became a household name after his stint on the reality TV show in 2013, has been resting at home since the episode which saw him admitted to Brisbane hospital.

However making a gentle return to the limelight the comedian, known for his dry humour and quick wit, spoke to Daily Mail Australia on Wednesday night from an Ambi Pur hosted event held at the Big Brother house on the Gold Coast.

Scroll down for video

23B474C500000578-2859986-image-a-3_1417652451828.jpg

'The show is going to be therapy for me': Big Brother's Ben Zabel says his new comedy program has helped him cope after his prescription drug overdose

'The show is going to be therapy for me, and it's going to be like a fun lovable exposé on the reality of reality TV.

'I want to tell people why I find it really odd that people take pictures of me grocery shopping,' he said at the event.

Mingling with the stars of this year's Big Brother Aisha McKinnon, Travis Lunardi, Skye Wheatley, Priya Malik and Lawson Reeves, Ben revealed the new show will premiere in December as part of Brisbane Powerhouse's Wonderland festival.

23B4752300000578-2859986-image-a-4_1417652742862.jpg

New beginnings: The 32-year-old's new comedy show will premiere in Brisbane in December as part of the Wonderland festival

23B4750700000578-2859986-image-a-5_1417652778931.jpg

Back in the limelight: The comedian is gentling returning to the limelight after a drug overdose saw him admitted to hospital in November

23B4756200000578-2859986-image-a-6_1417652834816.jpg

Support: The quick witted man says his family, friends and sense of humour have helped him through troubled times, pictured with Big Brother's Travis Lunardi at Ambi Pur's event

The reality TV star has been open about his on-going battle with depression and said of the incident which saw him admitted to hospital, 'I'd been strong for too long, it's really hard to explain something that's so irrational and a lot of it I can't remember.'

The Brisbane local described recent events as 'tough'.

'The only saving grace is I've always been when open about depression and anxiety so that has made things easier, in so far as it wasn't shocking so far as in the events.

23B4755100000578-2859986-image-a-7_1417652897044.jpg

New friends: Ben says this year's housemates sent him text messages of support when he was hospitalised, he is pictured here with Lawson Reeves

23B4751F00000578-2859986-image-a-8_1417653140024.jpg

Reality TV stars: Ben was joined at the event by Skye and Priya who looked glam in maxis

'But, I'm very aware that when you're in the public eye, when people do follow you, it becomes a teachable moment for people who are watching you in the way you face and deal with your challenges.

'It's really tough when mental health is such a private and inner kind of thing and you're living it in such a public kind of way, yeah it was an added pressure.'

At the time of the tragic event he uploaded an image of his hospital wristband with the message: 'Thank you to all the staff at Royal Brisbane' alongside the hashtags 'depression' 'anxiety' and 'overdose'.

The TV star has been taking small steps along the road to recovery and says support from his family and friends, as well as humour has helped him move forward.

23B475C600000578-2859986-image-a-9_1417653155201.jpg

Six screen stars! New and old Big Brother stars mingled together, Ben says he's in talks with Channel Ten about starring in a new show

23A00AD100000578-2859986-Bromance_Ben_and_Tim_Dormer_became_close_during_2013_s_series_an-m-19_1417653680106.jpg

Bromance: Ben and Tim Dormer became close during 2013's series and plan to head to Graceland in the U.S in January to film together

Ben Zabel and Tim Dormer's latest adventure (related)
video-3822605853001-206_636x358.jpg

His close friendship with Big Brother winner Tim Dormer has been a source of comfort to him, he says the men have an opposites attract kind of chemistry.

'We have a mutual respect and admiration for each other... we bring out the frustration in each other and that equals comedy.'

The pair plan to head to Graceland together in January to film a new project, Ben also revealed that he's currently in talks with Channel Ten about appearing on the Studio Ten breakfast show.

He told AAP he's had very little contact with Channel Nine the network that hosts Big Brother since starring in the show, learning second hand that his time working for the channel had been terminated.

'I was doing it (Mornings) once a week and then I read in the newspaper that I wasn't,' he said.
For confidential help, call Lifeline at 13 11 14 or visit Lifeline Australia.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...prescription-drug-overdose.html#ixzz3KtvbPlZE

'I made a mistake...I have to deal with the consequences': Big Brother's Lawson Reeves says he's taking criticism about cheating on his ex-girlfriend in his stride
By Alicia Vrajlal and Neil Griffiths for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 11:39 AEST, 4 December 2014 | Updated: 14:43 AEST, 4 December 2014

He has been out of the Big Brother house for months now and Lawson Reeves is still copping the flack for cheating on his five year girlfriend with fellow housemate and now girlfriend, Cat Law.

But the 23-year-old is taking it all in his stride.

Speaking to Daily Mail Australia from the Big Brother house for a special Ambi Pur event on Wednesday, Lawson said he knew the criticism was coming.

Scroll down for video

23B475D000000578-0-image-a-36_1417655078243.jpg

Reunited: (left to right) Ben Zabel, Aisha McKinnon, Lawson Reeves, Travis Lunardi, Priya Malik and Skye Wheatley back in the house for a special Ambi Pur event

‘…I made a mistake and I stuffed up and now I have to take the consequences and deal with it…’ he said, adding that everyone has the right to their own opinion.

He also touched on another house mate, Sam Bramham, who carelessly shared a photo on his Instagram of him and Lawson at a bar with the caption, '...Get down here and let lawson cheat with you'.

The magician said he wasn't phased by the comments and he in fact now lives with Sam in Melbourne and that he is also someone Lawson looks up to.

23B4757800000578-0-image-a-37_1417655262870.jpg

Deal with it: Lawson told Daily Mail Australia he knows he made a mistake when cheating on his girlfriend and now has to deal with the consequences

2395FC8000000578-0-image-a-38_1417655395205.jpg

Hit or miss: Sam Bramham (left) and Lawson (right) in the Instagram photo that Sam made a careless joke about

Lawson and Cat reveal guilt over Big Brother romance
video-3877306631001-139_636x358.jpg

‘Sam is a practical joker and everything he says you take with a grain of salt…not everyone gets his sense of humour and he understands that…' he told DMA.

It was speculated that Lawson made the move to Melbourne from his home in Perth to be nearer to his new girlfriend, and while he admits it's nice to be closer to her, he says it was the right move for his career.

‘Geographically that helps [being close to Cat]…but it just worked out that way’ he explained.

23B4754D00000578-0-image-a-39_1417655464129.jpg

Familiar territory: (left to right) Priya, Travis, Skye, Ben, Lawson and Aisha in the Big Brother bedrooms

23B4756B00000578-0-image-a-41_1417655473701.jpg

Heating up: The former Big Brother contestants take a seat in the Big Brother sauna

23B4753100000578-0-image-m-43_1417655616243.jpg

Third wheeling: Lawson (right) sits next to loved up couple Travis (left) and Aisha (centre)

Lawson and Cat kiss and say 'I love you' on Big Brother (archive)
video-undefined-22629A3D00000578-207_636x358.jpg

'I have the same opportunities with magic and also there’s more auditions here for acting and stuff like that...'.

And while he will be debuting some new magic shows around Melbourne, Lawson said he hopes to start doing some TV auditions.

'I’d love to go on Home and Away' he revealed before joking, '‘If Johnny Ruffo can do it, then why cant I?’

23B4755100000578-0-image-m-46_1417655667170.jpg

Then and now: Last season contestant Ben (left) and Lawson (right) together in the Gold Coast house

2386AB8F00000578-0-image-a-45_1417655661685.jpg

New love: Lawson (right) left his girlfriend of five years to begin a new relationship with Cat Law (left)

'She doesn't want to speak to me' Lawson opens up to Cat about ex
video-undefined-22D7220800000578-304_636x358.jpg

The TV reality contestant revealed that he was concerned about coming out of the house amidst the controversy of his love affair on the show.

‘In the house I struggled with thinking that no one would be on my side, but my family has supported me 100% and are standing by my side’ he said.

And even though a considerable amount of time has passed since he left the Big Brother house, Lawson is yet to speak to his ex-girlfriend and long term partner, Candice Leeder.

‘I still haven’t had a chance yet and everything has been full on with me and even with her with her exams…’ he told DMA.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ating-ex-girlfriend-stride.html#ixzz3Ktw7LN7c

'I'm already trying to knock her up!' Big Brother's Travis Lunardi hopes to have a baby with girlfriend Aisha McKinnon within the year
By Alicia Vrajlal and Penelope Kilby for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 11:07 AEST, 4 December 2014 | Updated: 12:13 AEST, 4 December 2014

They've only been out of the Big Brother house for a week, but Travis Lunardi and his new girlfriend Aisha McKinnon have already kick-started the baby-making process - at the request of his mother, Cheryl.

Speaking to Daily Mail Australia about their relationship, Travis admitted that he was head-over-heels for his 22-year-old love, who he plans to have children with immediately.

'I'm 100 per cent keen for one,' he said when asked about his desire to have kids with the woman he's known for a little over three months.

Scroll down for video

23B4758800000578-2859935-image-a-30_1417654282891.jpg

In it for the long haul! They've only been out of the Big Brother house for a week, but Travis Lunardi and his new girlfriend Aisha McKinnon have already kick-started the baby-making process - at the request of his mother

'I'm already trying to knock her up,' he revealed. Mum's always pressuring me because she wants to be a grandmother.

'I've got two brothers and I think she thinks I'm her best chance to be a grandmother now,' the 24-year-old said while sitting by Aisha's side.

'I'm just trying to be a good boy to my mummy and give her babies. Aisha's slapping me on the knee right now saying "you wish!", but I'm definitely hoping for a baby by next year. I want to be a young daddy.'

However, at just 22, Aisha is keen to take things slow considering their new found fame.

'For the first time in my life, my private life isn't so private anymore...I guess kids are definitely way, way into the future - I haven't really thought about that.'

And who would have thought that the rough and tumble boy's boy with an obsession for AFL had a romantic side.

23B474FB00000578-2859935-Speaking_to_Daily_Mail_Australia_about_their_newly_consummated_r-m-38_1417654503339.jpg

TV's hottest new couple: Speaking to Daily Mail Australia about their relationship, Travis admitted that he was head-over-heels for his 22-year-old love, who he plans to have children with immediately

23B475A800000578-2859935-Pucker_up_I_m_100_per_cent_keen_for_one_he_said_when_asked_about-m-39_1417654598743.jpg

Pucker up! 'I'm 100 per cent keen for one,' he said when asked about his desire to have kids with the woman he's known for a little over three months

Aisha and Travis forfeit $50k to stay in Big Brother house...
video-undefined-2273D15600000578-811_636x358.jpg

Despite living in different states, Travis is keen to show his chivalrous side, making up for the three-weeks the pair were apart following Aisha's eviction.

'I was lying in my bed at 9:30 at night and then my phone rang,' Aisha gushed.

'It was him, and he was like, "oh hi, what are you doing?", and I said "just lying in bed, what are you doing?", and he said, "I'm at your front door".

'I ran down stairs and he was there with a bottle of red.'

The handsome corporate guy had flown from Melbourne to Sydney after spending two-days with family and friends, because he missed his Kiwi-born girl too much.

'I was in Melbourne for about two days but I missed Aisha.'

23B474D700000578-2859935-Despite_living_in_different_States_Travis_is_keen_to_show_his_ch-m-44_1417654696339.jpg
23B474E700000578-2859935-Despite_living_in_different_States_Travis_is_keen_to_show_his_ch-a-45_1417654709574.jpg

Together again: Despite living in different States, Travis is keen to show his chivalrous side, making up for the three-weeks the pair were apart following Aisha's eviction

And on coming close to snatching the coveted prize money to winner, Ryan Ginns?

'She's worth more than $200,000.'

Speaking with DMA following the Big Brother finale last Wednesday, he said he was hoping to convince Aisha to move from Sydney to Melbourne so they can be together.

23B4752B00000578-2859935-image-a-36_1417654341657.jpg

Moving fast: Speaking with DMA following the Big Brother finale last Thursday, he said he was hoping to convince Aisha to move from Sydney to Melbourne so they can be together

23867AF100000578-2859935-image-a-37_1417654464456.jpg

Never tear us apart! The couple were reunited following three weeks apart at last Wednesday's Big Brother finale

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...friend-Aisha-McKinnon-year.html#ixzz3KtwTmgIq

'I'm unapologetically Indian': Big Brother's Priya reveals the racial backlash since leaving the house and says Australian television needs greater ethnic diversity

Published: 19:20 AEST, 3 December 2014 | Updated: 19:35 AEST, 3 December 2014

• She finished fourth on this year’s season of Big Brother Australia, defeating some of the biggest personalities on the reality show.

And according to 27-year-old Priya Malik, staying true to herself and her cultural identity was a key to her success.

The Adelaide-based school teacher who entered the house wearing traditional Indian attire, said while she has experienced some racial discrimination since leaving the show, a greater sense of cultural diversity in Australian television is essential.

237E22EF00000578-0-image-80_1417592042589.jpg

Proud: Big Brother's Priya Malik says she is proud of her Indian heritage and that Australian television needs more cultural diversity on its screens

‘I think Australian media does need a bit of ethnic diversity considering one in every four Australians are born overseas,’ she told Daily Mail Australia on Wednesday from an Ambi Pur event on the Gold Coast.

‘I don’t think we see that very much when we watch TV,’ she said, explaining a true reflection of the nation’s multicultural mix is not always translated onscreen.

As the first housemate to enter the house this season, Priya decided to wear a traditional Indian dress for her onscreen debut.

And through her time on the show she said she was ‘unapologetically Indian’, with the motive to break racial stereotypes.

238A781800000578-0-image-83_1417592106474.jpg

Patriotic: As the first housemate to enter the house this season, Priya decided to wear a traditional Indian dress for her onscreen debut

‘It’s not something I’m going to deny about myself,’ she said of her ethnicity.

‘I think your culture does shape you to a large extent.’

For the reality star who moved to Australia a few years ago with her husband Bhushan, facing racial discrimination after appearing on a national show was not unexpected.

2376CDDC00000578-2858668-image-91_1417592310623.jpg

Taking a stand: Through her time on the show she said she was ‘unapologetically Indian’, with the motive to break racial stereotypes

‘There has been a lot of race based comments on social media,’ she explained of the backlash since leaving the house.

But for the outspoken personality who hopes to return to teaching, looking at the positives and ‘concentrating on the love’ is her main focus.

‘The fact that I came fourth, that speaks for itself that people are very accepting of a person of a different colour on the TV screen.’

23B193FC00000578-2858668-Cultural_reference_Priya_was_promoted_as_Posh_Spice_before_she_e-90_1417592284719.jpg

Cultural reference: Priya was promoted as Posh Spice before she entered the Big Brother house in September

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...s-greater-ethnic-diversity.html#ixzz3Kpfh1Xod

Priya replied in the comments section

Priya Malik, Adelaide, Australia, about 12 hours ago

Exactly my point. The fact that I came fourth reveals the immense amount of support that I recieved from the Australian public . I am unapologetically Indian by heritage but in the same vein, I am also unapologetically accepting/embracing of Australian culture. I am through and through a new Australian. It is not about assimilation, it is about integration. And, that's what I have always aimed at.

For those who aren't aware, this Mars Mission media rights are owned by ENDEMOL -

Northern Territory cook Angela Chin on shortlist to become Mars One explorer

The red landscape of Mars may not look that unusual to Angela Chin, who hopes to become one of the world's first inter-planetary explorers.

Organisers intend the trip to be broadcast as a reality television show, with media rights sold to pay for the venture.

FULL STORY:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-04/nt-cook-in-short-list-to-become-mars-explorer/5945314

At least they were consistent, chaos right until the end. What a farce.

Priya replied in the comments section

Priya Malik, Adelaide, Australia, about 12 hours ago

Exactly my point. The fact that I came fourth reveals the immense amount of support that I recieved from the Australian public . I am unapologetically Indian by heritage but in the same vein, I am also unapologetically accepting/embracing of Australian culture. I am through and through a new Australian. It is not about assimilation, it is about integration. And, that's what I have always aimed at.
She spelt "received" wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back