Skip to main content

Australian Cricket season 2014/15

So terribly sad. I would have been thrilled if my son chose cricket; such a safe sport. A great tragedy for the poor bowler, too.

So terribly sad. I would have been thrilled if my son chose cricket; such a safe sport. A great tragedy for the poor bowler, too.
he has been approached by phil's sister and others in terms of "please don't blame yourself" I was in Antigua a few years ago and a man was brain damaged in a local match.

The upside is Helmets are about to change on an INTERNATIONAL level

he has been approached by phil's sister and others in terms of "please don't blame yourself" I was in Antigua a few years ago and a man was brain damaged in a local match.

The upside is Helmets are about to change on an INTERNATIONAL level

Such an awful thing to happen. Driving a car is more dangerous, though. Death is ghastly, but inevitable. Truly awful when it happens to the young. I hope I die having an orgasm when I'm 95. No headlines, please.

Such an awful thing to happen. Driving a car is more dangerous, though. Death is ghastly, but inevitable. Truly awful when it happens to the young. I hope I die having an orgasm when I'm 95. No headlines, please.
Jam dies in unfortunate donut sex tryst

edit I don't mean to be disrespectful to Phil

Reactions: Jam
Tragic and really feel for the bowler.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out long term and whether it's seen as a freak accident or whether the "where theres a blame theres a claim" lawyers hijack it all and it is seen as a fundamental flaw in the most basic of safety gear.

Same here, cricket is generally not especially dangerous, but wears on the body if you are a fast bowler.

But strange thing it is quite scary to play - I used to play as kid with all the neighbourhood. We were all about 10.
We hit a kid in the chest - winded him badly. He stopped breathing for ages. was really freaky.
It is quite a good game for both sexes, and short kids.

So we went back to tennis balls.

Then Nick, same thing happened to him about 7, trying out, winded, he never wanted to play again.
So basketball it was.

Nine News are reporting that Cricket Australia are about to release a statement regarding the new dates.

Test 1: Adelaide, December 9
Test 2: Brisbane, December 17
Test 3: Melbourne, December 26 (will stay as it is)
Test 4: Sydney, January 6

Tragic and really feel for the bowler.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out long term and whether it's seen as a freak accident or whether the "where theres a blame theres a claim" lawyers hijack it all and it is seen as a fundamental flaw in the most basic of safety gear.

Phil Hughes wasn't wearing the lastest model helmet

The newer model had more protection around the neck region

The manufacturer respectfully has said they don't know if this extra protection would have saved Phil or not and they continue analysing the footage.

Plus they can show hundreds of footage where batsman have been hit flush in the head and survived with little to no drama afterwards, and in these times they have continued to upgrade and improve their helmets.

Given that, highly unlikely you sue the helmet manufacturer.

It was just a freak, unfortunate accident.

An umpire in Israel died a day after Hughes died. A ball was slogged hard by the batsman and hit the stumps at the umpires end and deflected onto the side of his face at speed as he tried to avoid it. Hillel Oscar was his name he was 55yo

Four big bash league matches have been rescheduled.
99CE60E5E26B43FE9D47B5C8AA1F6775.ashx

Phil Hughes wasn't wearing the lastest model helmet

The newer model had more protection around the neck region

The manufacturer respectfully has said they don't know if this extra protection would have saved Phil or not and they continue analysing the footage.

Plus they can show hundreds of footage where batsman have been hit flush in the head and survived with little to no drama afterwards, and in these times they have continued to upgrade and improve their helmets.

Given that, highly unlikely you sue the helmet manufacturer.

It was just a freak, unfortunate accident.

An umpire in Israel died a day after Hughes died. A ball was slogged hard by the batsman and hit the stumps at the umpires end and deflected onto the side of his face at speed as he tried to avoid it. Hillel Oscar was his name he was 55yo

Isn't it easier and safer to just outlaw that pitch that's designed to bounce up at the batter's head at velocity?

I obviously don't know cricket but the ball (bowl?) is what killed him. Not allowing it to be thrown like that might be the simplest way to solve the problem.

To me it doesn't matter that it was a freak accident, one death like this should be enough to wake people up to the danger.

Isn't it easier and safer to just outlaw that pitch that's designed to bounce up at the batter's head at velocity?

I obviously don't know cricket but the ball (bowl?) is what killed him. Not allowing it to be thrown like that might be the simplest way to solve the problem.

To me it doesn't matter that it was a freak accident, one death like this should be enough to wake people up to the danger.

You are 100% right, you don't know cricket.

Sorry to be rude but maybe educate yourself a bit more if you want to just make blanket statements like you have.

You are 100% right, you don't know cricket.

Sorry to be rude but maybe educate yourself a bit more if you want to just make blanket statements like you have.
I read the idea of banning that pitch was being discussed right after he was injured.

Do you have a source for this?

Doubt very much there was an article let alone an idea someone said about banning a deck on the SCG. I actually find it laughable. Only someone who knows nothing about cricket would think that idea.

You can bowl a bouncer on any pitch, anywhere in the world. Watch Australia bowl bouncers to India (and India to us) in tomorrows 1st test match.

Umpires if they deem the pitch is unsafe (usually too much grass on the deck ie.too much movement, and batsmen cant play most shots) then they have the authority and power to cancel the game (has happened a few times, as recent as last week in a grade game on a suburban ground)

Anyway onto the test match

Looks like Australia will be at full strength. A good chance Clarke will play. The national anthem will be emotional, along with the minute silence for Phil Hughes. I think India have an awesome batting line up. If our bowlers bowl like we did last time they were here, we should do just as good. First test being at Adelaide and known as probably the best batting deck out of the 4 tests played, gives India some hope they can start the series off real well. Cant wait, and good to see a lot of the players are itching to get back into it as well

Last edited:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...tralia/11257086/Philip-Hughes-death-live.html

This refers to an article in the Australian by Wayne Smith discussing eliminating that bouncer. I can't read that article now because it is subscriber only.

A quick Google search shows this question came up in Australia and India. It isn't as if banning the pitch wasn't discussed. People might reject it, but it definitely was addressed.

Wayne Smith talks about eliminating the bouncer in the context what the game would become. It would be lame and batsmen would be on the front foot (a batting position technique for deliveries below thighs) when they don't deserve to be. His discussion is making people aware banning the bouncer will change the game for the worse

Well if it was a quick google search about banning the pitch you'd have the link as evidence.

Fact is this: The whole cricket community (or 99.9% of them), from players, ex players, coaches, commentators, administrators have discussed it was a freaky and tragic accident and no need to change rules, ban pitches nor the bouncer rule. I guess Cricket haters or those who don't know cricket would look at things differently, but it really just comes across as amateur hour. I leave it at that

Onto todays tests match

Australia 6/354 at Stumps

Warner brilliant 145, Smith not out 72
Clarkes back looks to be gone again, was 60no then retired hurt

When India bowled their first bouncer early in the day, the crowed clapped. Which was a uniform "its ok" its part of the game .
National Anthem was emotional as was when Warner reached 63 and 100, and when Smith reached 63.

Hopefully we can put on another 100 or so tomorrow. Our attack should do well and hopefully we can get a good 1st innings lead.

Back