Skip to main content

The Beach Boys Megathread

Musical Masterpieces IMO. "Good Vibrations" and "God Only Knows".

^ I personally believe THIS is better than the end product.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, good taste ;)

Good Vibrations and God Only know truly are masterpieces. I'd even go as far as to say that Good Vibrations is the greatest pop song of all time. In my opinion, anyway :)

I love all the behind-the-scenes footage and snippets that are floating around. Those guys were getting up to some seriously crazy stuff in the 60's, way ahead of The Beatles I say.

He's another gem from them, shame it didn't get finished.

And agree with you, that rehearsal version of GOK is better than the original. Carl had the voice of an angel :angelic:

& Pet Sounds the greatest pop album?

these even got my dog singing along, she's probly better than me lol

If she can hit the high notes, she's doing waaaay better than me. :)

The beautiful dreamer doc I posted above has interviews with George Martin and how what Brian was doing inspired the Beatles and what the Beatles were doing inspired Brian.

Oh they definitely had a good natured rivalry going on. I think if SMiLE had been release, The Beatles would've given us a much weirder White album at the very least.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Beatles (anyone wanna start a megathread? :) ) but The Beach Boys 66-67 are just something else.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Beatles (anyone wanna start a megathread? :) ) but The Beach Boys 66-67 are just something else.

Yeah, 66-67 was their peak for sure. Songs like "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times," "Let's Go Away For A While," "Surf's Up," "Heroes & Villains," "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" etc. are just phenomenal.

The Beatles are my favourite band of all time, but while they had each other and George Martin, Brian was pretty much steering the BB ship by himself. The man is a genius.

I'm not even close to knowing all their albums, but I've always been a big fan of Today, Summer Days..., Wild Honey, Friends & 20/20.

I went to see them when they were last in Aus (2012?). Mike, Al & Bruce were pretty spritely for being in their 70s. Pretty on form vocally too.

But it was actually a bit devastating seeing Brian; he had to be helped on stage, he barely touched his piano, and his singing was awful. It was still worth it to be in the same "room" as one of my musical heroes.

:)

Good Vibrations and God Only know truly are masterpieces. I'd even go as far as to say that Good Vibrations is the greatest pop song of all time. In my opinion, anyway :)

I would agree with you about GV. I was fortunate enough to be able to learn every harmony when in school choir! The complexity of the song is huge. We were lucky to have a "cool" Choir Master and the songs chosen that particular year were songs like GV, The Rhythm of Life, Because (Beatles).etc, rather than standards like "Joshua Fight The Battle of Jericho" and "The Humoresque" lol It was a vocally challenging year and I LOVED every second and in doing so, gave me a huge appreciation of The Beach Boys.

I love all the behind-the-scenes footage and snippets that are floating around. Those guys were getting up to some seriously crazy stuff in the 60's, way ahead of The Beatles I say.

Yes it is wonderful there is so much footage of them out there. I admit though, I don't like Mike Love. There is just something about him that sends my creep radar off.

Thank you for the pressie. :thumbsup: I was thinking, didn't Bacharach/Dyke write that? Yes they did but that version is so much better than Dionne's. I had never heard that version before and it was a real treat. I have listened to it at least 20 times now.

And agree with you, that rehearsal version of GOK is better than the original. Carl had the voice of an angel :angelic:

Amazing pitch and his vocals are seemingly effortless.

Here is another little gift for the thread. Help Me Rhonda - a capella.

Wow, thanks for the a cappella "HMR"!

I don't know where to find the links (or how to post 'em), but if you get a chance, check out The Smile Sessions (2011) track 25 "Smile Backing Vocals Montage." It's about 8 minutes long, all a cappella; absolutely staggering.

Also, there's a Pet Sounds box set with each track a cappella plus each track just instrumental.

Simply breath-taking!

Omg! Yes! I love the beach boys so much. I listen to them every day and I've watched all their videos on youtube and just obsessed! I agree - God only knows, good vibrations and don't worry baby are my stand out favourites!

I love this video so much!! They are so talented! Brian Wilson <3 <3

You just make me "bunny-squee"!! I had not brought that song to mind, but I KNEW there was another prime example of the awesome and you just provided it. TY!!! :kiss:

OMG! I did not know this track existed or how to respond while presenting remotely sane. After a day I have sanEitized it to this:
In my head is a mountain of Bacharach topped with a sparkling snow peak made of Bacharach/David/Warwick, and this track is akin to Sir Edmund planting a flag. It is sooooo gorgeous & my first Christmas gift. Thank You L&M !!! sorry, sane as I can get on this

Also, I am going absolutely fangirl for all of these posts & attempting restraint from posting w/o contributing content, but it is hard...

Echoing Kismet @LoveAndMercy ..TY for creating this thread. It is awesome yet far from "chill" time for me - too exciting!!!

Yeah, 66-67 was their peak for sure. Songs like "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times," "Let's Go Away For A While," "Surf's Up," "Heroes & Villains," "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" etc. are just phenomenal.

The Beatles are my favourite band of all time, but while they had each other and George Martin, Brian was pretty much steering the BB ship by himself. The man is a genius.

I'm not even close to knowing all their albums, but I've always been a big fan of Today, Summer Days..., Wild Honey, Friends & 20/20.

I went to see them when they were last in Aus (2012?). Mike, Al & Bruce were pretty spritely for being in their 70s. Pretty on form vocally too.

But it was actually a bit devastating seeing Brian; he had to be helped on stage, he barely touched his piano, and his singing was awful. It was still worth it to be in the same "room" as one of my musical heroes.

I'd also add "Wonderful", "Love To Say Dada", "Wind Chimes", "Caroline, No", "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On my Shoulder)" and "Child Is The Father Of The Man". Each of those songs completely blew my mind when I heard them.

If you ever get around to it, you should totally check out All Summer Long, Surf's Up, Holland and Love You. This thread is young, but if you hang around, some of that material might show up ;)

I missed out on seeing them during their Aussie tour, but in a way I think it's for the best. It'd destroy me to see Brian the way he is now, he essentially committed suicide in the late 70's and hasn't been the same since. I'm just glad that he has a better group of people looking out for him this time :)

Yes it is wonderful there is so much footage of them out there. I admit though, I don't like Mike Love. There is just something about him that sends my creep radar off.

Thank you for the pressie. :thumbsup: I was thinking, didn't Bacharach/Dyke write that? Yes they did but that version is so much better than Dionne's. I had never heard that version before and it was a real treat. I have listened to it at least 20 times now.

Amazing pitch and his vocals are seemingly effortless.

Don't worry, I have a feeling there won't be any Mike Love megafans in the thread! :whistling: He always gave off a creepy uncle vibe to me.

Nice going with HMR, already 10 plays in ;)

Omg! Yes! I love the beach boys so much. I listen to them every day and I've watched all their videos on youtube and just obsessed! I agree - God only knows, good vibrations and don't worry baby are my stand out favourites!

I love this video so much!! They are so talented! Brian Wilson <3 <3

Such a fantastic video! It's so funny watching Brian give it a genuine go while Dennis and Carl look like their about to throw tantrums! :biggrin:

OMG! I did not know this track existed or how to respond while presenting remotely sane. After a day I have sanEitized it to this:
In my head is a mountain of Bacharach topped with a sparkling snow peak made of Bacharach/David/Warwick, and this track is akin to Sir Edmund planting a flag. It is sooooo gorgeous & my first Christmas gift. Thank You L&M !!! sorry, sane as I can get on this

Also, I am going absolutely fangirl for all of these posts & attempting restraint from posting w/o contributing content, but it is hard...

Echoing Kismet @LoveAndMercy ..TY for creating this thread. It is awesome yet far from "chill" time for me - too exciting!!!

So I take it you liked it? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You should jump in and comment anytime! I could talk Beach Boys for hours, so show off some of your 'insanity'! :)

Here's one of the most haunting videos I've seen on Youtube. How he hits the high notes, I'll never know.

Your avatar is a musical genius.

This made me cry...

TY!! Wow! Just watched it again for the second time, what a story. The issues in this movie would require a whole other thread.

I deeply regret that Brian shut down and quit working for so long for the same reason I regret the Beatles disbanding.
We don't know what and how much the world lost musically.

Say what you will about Mike, but he did help keep the Beach Boys' & Brian's music accessible all these years & I respect that he never took that away from us.

Back