Skip to main content

Would anyone else like Sonia Kruger replaced?

People complain that Sonia talks to the Audience like we are children but if you notice at the Live Shows most of the audience is made up of children.

Fair comment.

Not really, live audience is not necessarily the same demographic as a tv audience. The crowd is actually there to add atmosphere for the TV audience. Live is certainly not how they make money, but the fact they can charge people to do a job for them (ie. play the part of the "excited fan") is a win win for them.

Not really, live audience is not necessarily the same demographic as a tv audience. The crowd is actually there to add atmosphere for the TV audience. Live is certainly not how they make money, but the fact they can charge people to do a job for them (ie. play the part of the "excited fan") is a win win for them.

I meant Sonia obviously can see the audience and the amount of children in it affects how she speaks during the live shows.

I know what the point of a live audience is. I never said a live audience is how they make their money but I'm sure it adds a little bit of profit. Anyone who has been to a live show would you be able to tell me how much a ticket costs you?

Not sure what you mean when you say "but the fact they can charge people to do a job for them (ie. play the part of the "excited fan") is a win win for them." Do you mean in general for other live audience TV shows? and not just BB. If not do you have some inside information about channel Nine hiring people to pretend to be fans of the show.

I meant Sonia obviously can see the audience and the amount of children in it affects how she speaks during the live shows.

I know what the point of a live audience is. I never said a live audience is how they make their money but I'm sure it adds a little bit of profit. Anyone who has been to a live show would you be able to tell me how much a ticket costs you?

Not sure what you mean when you say "but the fact they can charge people to do a job for them (ie. play the part of the "excited fan") is a win win for them." Do you mean in general for other live audience TV shows? and not just BB. If not do you have some inside information about channel Nine hiring people to pretend to be fans of the show.

She is a professional presenter, the audience has no affect on here. She is told to present in a certain way for the TV viewers, and she does. It could be an audience of sock puppets and she wouldn't skip a beat.

Woah relax with the conspiracy's. All televised events need an audience because it adds atmosphere and excitement. If Sonia was just talking to a camera it would come across as weird. Even at the Oscar's they have 'seat warmers' who fill a seat while someone goes to the bathroom so the place looks full.

So for bigbrother, they NEED an audience and it just so happens they can actually get fans who is willing to pay for it.

[MENTION=37711]Sheep[/MENTION] no conspiracy theories here I just wanted to make sure I had understood your comment correctly.

I'll save these for another day then.

tin foil hats.jpg

People complain that Sonia talks to the Audience like we are children but if you notice at the Live Shows most of the audience is made up of children.

Fair comment.

I don't necessarily agree that Sonia speaks to the audience/ home viewers like children (at least not ALWAYS). If it comes across that way, well they haven't at all hid the fact that the resurrection on Nine was going to be aimed at families. So it's a win win in the fact that adults will watch the show regardless of how Sonia speaks and pay more attention to the HMs and the children feel like the host is including them.

Let's not make this thread about whether the show should or should not be aimed at children/families (there are plenty of other threads about that). The fact is they have made a family friendly format, so a bit of over excited child-friendly presentation from Sonia doesn't bother me. She drops plenty of innuendos and adult -oriented jokes that would go over the kids heads. Kinda like the Shrek series.

I don't necessarily agree that Sonia speaks to the audience/ home viewers like children (at least not ALWAYS). If it comes across that way, well they haven't at all hid the fact that the resurrection on Nine was going to be aimed at families. So it's a win win in the fact that adults will watch the show regardless of how Sonia speaks and pay more attention to the HMs and the children feel like the host is including them.

Let's not make this thread about whether the show should or should not be aimed at children/families (there are plenty of other threads about that). The fact is they have made a family friendly format, so a bit of over excited child-friendly presentation from Sonia doesn't bother me. She drops plenty of innuendos and adult -oriented jokes that would go over the kids heads. Kinda like the Shrek series.

Great post. Yes people do complain that Sonia talk to the audience like they are children, I like Sonia so to get the thread back on track I'll say it one more time. I LIKE SONIA. No I personally do not want her replaced as host.

Great post. Yes people do complain that Sonia talk to the audience like they are children, I like Sonia so to get the thread back on track I'll say it one more time. I LIKE SONIA. No I personally do not want her replaced as host.

Sonia has grown on me immensely over the past two series. I've had a Tina Sparkles crush since Strictly Ballroom. But over the last two years it's gone from a crush to something a little stronger.

Bahaha that sounds creepy :rolleyes:

As much as I wasn't a big fan of Sonia taking over, I think she's grown into the role a lot this year and I am convinced she will grow next year. I think it will be damaging to the brand if they changed the host in the hopes to find someone better. I'm sure they could, but audiences have invested in Sonia as the new face of Big Brother and the network would be stupid to remove all that work finding someone else who would have to take time to grow into the same mould.

Sonia is ok, but they should fire whoever writes her jokes and puns.
She tells some serious "dad jokes"

Sonia is ok, but they should fire whoever writes her jokes and puns.
She tells some serious "dad jokes"

Gretel (whom I also love) was notorious for the puns and bad jokes. Although I think she came up with them herself. Haha

I prefer Gretel. Her name is fun to say. Gretel. Gretel. Gretel. Gretel. Gretel.

Now it sounds weird.

TBH I don't think Gretel would want to come back anyway.

It's so weird when you say a word over and over and it becomes foreign to you. Great thanks mate now Gretel is playing with my head.

Yeah I'm over her jokes and puns. Absolutely terrible, all of them.

but then again she fits in well with the family friendly nature of the BB channel 9 are trying to create, so I can understand them keeping her.

She was utterly dreadful, but is improving.

I think they learnt their lesson with the Tully interview. She asked both Mikkayla and Ed questions in a much more confrontational way, which adds to the catharsis for the audience, I think.

Yeah I agree, I don't think children under 10 should be watching but that is just my personal opinion.
I agree. Why would 10 year olds be interested in adult convos? Why would parents even want them watching shows like Big Brother? It's pretty much a mature audience aimed show, despite being PG. I mean, the contestants have to be 18 and up. 10 year olds just won't relate really.

I'd personally make BB for people above the age of 12 (and that's still a young age). I wouldn't admit those under 13 into the live show studio. Big Brother isn't a kiddie-fest. They should really fix this next year (I doubt that they will though).

10 year olds should go and watch X Factor or something. In X Factor, you can be as young as 10 to be a contestant. So there you go - they have the person they'd look up to in this show. Also, music can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

Last edited:
Nine has confirmed Sonia to return in their up fronts

The Big Brother juggernaut stormed home on Nine this year, recapturing a whole new generation of Australian viewers. In 2014, Big Brother will be back, hosted by Sonia Kruger, with new housemates, new tricks and new twists, brighter and more entertaining than ever.
source: TvTonight

Back