Skip to main content

Would a future BB to be feasible as a "GO" only show?

Anthill

It seems more and more likely BB is not going to come back to Nine, that Noahs ark is a sinking ship

I was wondering would a cheaper budget big brother be feasible on a channel like GO?

Channel 10 really needs a good show it cant survive the whole year on the bachelor.

Whereas Nine seems intent on surviving the year on The Block and Big Bang.
Actually, I have been surprised (and disappointed) that they've not made use of Go! or Gem to screen a decent amount of Big Brother hours. I thought they'd be ideal for UpLate, Friday Games, Big Mouth type etc stuff and some actual-time footage from the House with actual conversations.
Considering the infomercials and other dross they do bother to air, it seems wasted opportunity.

The way Nine use GO! absolutely not, but from it's outings on GO! the ratings have been respectable enough so I think it could work on a digital channel and actually benefit from having a reduced budget which would force it back to basics somewhat. The problem the networks have though is they won't want a show competing with the main network - if it moves to GO! it would still be kept out of the way of shows like The Block and other flagship content, so either have to air in an early pre-7.30pm slot or in it's current 8.40pm slot.

Considering the infomercials and other dross they do bother to air, it seems wasted opportunity.

Good point! How about live feeds on those 24 hour infomercial channels? Someone might actually watch them for a change. Maybe not all Aussies can receive EXTRA and EXTRA2 but at the moment that's a blessing...

If I were head of Nine (and with Ten once owned by a Canadian company, that wouldn't be too much of a stretch), I would make Big Brother bigger than it currently is.

Nine: Daily shows every Sunday-Friday night, Saturdays off
GO!: Would pick up where Nine left off in case of cricket or something; also home to Friday Night Live, Big Mouth, UpLate
Gem: Same

Extra: Live feeds (when the daily shows weren't on)
Extra2: Five-hour shift of live feeds

channel 10 would hopefully make good use of ELEVEN, (even though I've never willingly watched that channel in my life)

Hopefully the show survives on some channel other than 9, I would hate to see the show go all together. I think the show would be better under some other production team though, the current one seems determined to ruin every aspect

If I were head of Nine (and with Ten once owned by a Canadian company, that wouldn't be too much of a stretch), I would make Big Brother bigger than it currently is.

Nine: Daily shows every Sunday-Friday night, Saturdays off
GO!: Would pick up where Nine left off in case of cricket or something; also home to Friday Night Live, Big Mouth, UpLate
Gem: Same

Extra: Live feeds (when the daily shows weren't on)
Extra2: Five-hour shift of live feeds
In a perfect world, this is how Channel 9 block Big Brother into its timeslot.

They would need to get less expensive hosts, which would be fine by me.

Isn't the show itself pretty costly? So I don't know if they can still manage financially on GO!..

But then again, Neighbours found a home on Channel Eleven so...

Hopefully the show survives on some channel other than 9, I would hate to see the show go all together. I think the show would be better under some other production team though, the current one seems determined to ruin every aspect
Yeah, I'm just listening to a podcast by Mikey Goldman and he was chatting to Tim before he went into the house and said "Are you allowed to say that ? I've said some things that I wasn't supposed to say and was told I wasn't supposed to say that" or something to that effect.

This means that this year the producers WANT to HOLD and CONTAIN dozens of "secrets" and let one out the day of the show or a day before. Channel 10 didn't keep secrets from us. Didn't over hype stuff. They came out with what was going to happen like a week before, and the live feed worked well alongside. The lack of information is all due to them wanting to control every secret, thinking that viewers will increase when this information is withheld and therefore increase ratings.

Ch. 9 seems disinterested in listening to its audience.This is not suited to Big Brother, as this is a show that requires a big interaction with the audience, and they clearly don't know how to handle that, only being experienced with reality shows that came long after BB that are handled differently.

Would be better if another more competent network had it to be honest.

Isn't the show itself pretty costly? So I don't know if they can still manage financially on GO!..

The vast majority of Neighbours' production costs are covered by international sales, particularly The UK's Channel 5, who pay a huge fee for the show. It basically costs Ten next to nothing to make the show, so they can afford to air it on Eleven and still be profitable. BB does not have that luxury.

Or they could go into partnership with a NZ Channel? Though dont think that worked for the amazing race :(

Why don't they use one of those advert channels for a live stream - maybe they could sell some BB merchandise - for example - how about a "dancing doona"? Think of the opportunities Ch9!!!

Neighbours also experienced a substantial drop in ratings with the swap, which Big Brother likely would also experience.

Neighbours was OK though, because a few years ago they also cut that program's budget and 'tightened' the production - reducing the location shoots and only using two cameras not three. Also they now tape six episodes a week not five. Essentially they are turning out more footage on less money.

However, Neighbours also lives off lucrative sales to the UK (it is partly funded by channel Five as part of a long term contract), and many other international broadcasters. That's something Big Brother would not be able to do, as there are already international versions of Big Brother - other countries aren't going to fund ours.

Back