Skip to main content

Tina Arena Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tina Arena’s pub show skips golden oldies, calls out “s--thouse” mobile footage and hails the inner bogan
FEBRUARY 18, 201611:16AM
5c7ae11096be9d15e5950a7926440a65

Tina Arena hits the stage at the Corner Hotel. Picture: Jay Town

Cameron AdamsNews Corp Australia Network
AFTER she learned her trade on TV as a kid, Tina Arena cut her teeth playing pub gigs around Melbourne.

This was the late ’80s and Tina would play the Grainstore Tavern, belting out some of her own tunes as well as covers including Van Halen’s Dreams.

Fast forward to 2016. After decades playing theatre shows, concerts with orchestras and the occasional arena performance Arena is back in da pub.

No stranger to keeping it real, last night Arena kept it particularly real at a sweaty pub show at the Corner Hotel in Richmond.

f6491ac8b0337289c35d5c41cc0c48be

A dressed-down Tina Arena kept things very real with her fans during her pub show. Picture: Jay TownSource:News Corp Australia

Arena used to live around the corner from the Corner and grew up doing Young Talent Time rehearsals in the area. She’d guested on someone else’s show at the Corner years ago, but never played it herself.

She did her apprenticeship playing pub shows, now she’s back getting close to the fans. And chatty. And sweary.

When she starts playing to a sea of mobile screens Arena, no fan of technology killing living in the moment, points out “you’re going to look at your s--thouse footage in the morning — and it will be s--thouse.”

She points out how comfortable she is just in jeans and T-shirt (“I would have happily have come in my pyjamas”) and introduces 1995’s Heaven Help My Heartby saying “this is for all the bogans out there — show us your true colours kids.”

As with Arena’s previous tour, for the multi-platinum Reset album, this is a night of minimal nostalgia.

“I never wanted to be left singing some golden oldies,” Arena told the audience. “I’d rather live in chicken sh--” before pointing out her joy to be able to “still be making original music in your late 40s ...”

A handful of hits are drip-fed over the night — Symphony of Life, Sorrento Moon, Chains, Never (Past Tense) and Burn.

Instead last year’s Eleven makes up the bulk of the set. It continues her navigation of a path of adult pop — not trying to sound like a teenager, not ready to sound like a grandmother.

However Arena points out fans should enjoy this creative burst “because I don’t know how many more albums I’ve got in me.”

The drama of Unravel Me shines live, the Kate Miller-Heidke co-write Not Still In Love is a break up song with a difference and Overload shows she still knows how to serve up a killer pop tune. Magic fires up a disco groove and not for nothing Reset’sYou Set Fire to My Life has been promoted to show closer.

Before Wouldn’t Be Love If It Didn’t Arena warns she’ll be looking at a lyric sheet on the floor because “old age is setting in.”

ffe32d215c98b1f14161bda80fd18964

Tina Arena told fans to not bother with “s--thouse” live footage. Picture: Jay TownSource:News Corp Australia

It’d be nice to have more songs off Reset, but Arena’s been there, done that and filmed the live DVD. It’s out now, by the way.

The audience shouted out for songs not on the setlist. First is I Need Your Body. “You don’t need my body, trust me,” Arena states. When cries for early songs Turn Up the Beat and The Machine’s Breaking Down fly Arena concocts a plan where fans could dress up as her and sing the songs.

“We could do a show where you get up and do one Tina Arena song each. It’d be like karaoke night. Karaoke’s not what they do at the Corner but f--- it, we’ll make it cool.”

It’s almost redundant to point out how incredible — and effortless — Arena’s voice is. Suffice to say, while we rightly hail Adele’s glorious vocals don’t forget we have Tina Arena on our doorstep.

4eb43c9cdb31a10f23e752d71263d327

Tina Arena belted out INXS’ Never Tear Us Apart. Picture: Jay TownSource:News Corp Australia

Speaking of our finest exports, two worlds collided when Arena covered INXS’Never Tear Us Apart, providing instant goosebumps to the 800 punters sardined in to the Corner.

Tina Arena plays Hamer Hall tomorrow, Bimbadgen Winery in NSW (with Simply Red) on Saturady, Sirroment Wines Mt Cotton (with Simply Red) on Sunday. The Harbour, Sydney Gay and Lesbian mardi gras February 25, Perth Concert Hall February 26, Sydney State Theatre March 4 and Gold Coast’s Jupiters Hotel March 12.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...n/news-story/44a9c4865bbed741826e5bb41f699d59

I hate to see, filmed from the stage an audience with almost everyone with a Phone held up, towards the Band. It is horrible to see. Even those without a phone, are blocked off from seeing the act, by those with their arms up. They should ban Phones etc from Concerts. Years ago we got by without them, why not now?

I hate to see, filmed from the stage an audience with almost everyone with a Phone held up, towards the Band. It is horrible to see. Even those without a phone, are blocked off from seeing the act, by those with their arms up. They should ban Phones etc from Concerts. Years ago we got by without them, why not now?

Even worse is the ipad!

q9AQF-600x329.jpg

On I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here Now, Joel was like "If someone was speaking French at me, I'd just call Tina Arena".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back