Skip to main content

The Weather Thread

The weather in Melbourne this December has been the coldest since 2006. It's just terrible. I mean, for Winter it's ok, but for Summer? I had to have the heating on this afternoon and evening! And the rest of the week is just going to be in the low to mid 20's dropping to the low teens at night! I don't care for the heat, but I don't care to still have the heater on at this time of the year either!

We only had three days in December of 30C or more. Our first 30C+ day in 2014 was Jan 10th! This week will be killer in Melbourne!Melb-7dayforecast-Jan11th2014.jpg

Cooler today at least. It was 41 C at 9.00am today but cooled to 36C in the afternoon

Still, a big brushfire up in the hills at Parkerville has trashed at least 20 homes so far.

HEATWAVE UPDATE - WHEN IS RELIEF COMING IN YOUR AREA

Southeastern Australia's heatwave is getting more intense, but the end is in sight.

Almost all of South Australia, Victoria and southwestern New South Wales are heading over 40 degrees again today as a very hot airmass lingers. Adelaide is heading to about 46 degrees, making it the hottest major centre in the world today. This will also give the city's record of 46.1 degrees a scare.

Melbourne is also heading for 44 degrees today, its hottest day since Black Saturday in 2009, when the mercury made it to 46.4 degrees.

The heat has been relentless across southeastern Australia with very hot days and very warm nights ahead of a cool change coming to most places on Friday.

Tonight will be quite hot ahead of the cool change in southern centres with Melbourne and Adelaide both staying in the 30's for most, if not all, of the night.

Relief will reach South Australia's Ceduna around sunrise on Friday morning, stopping it from having a fifth day over 40 degrees. For the Adelaide area temperatures will rise very quickly on Friday, although a seabreeze will halt heating mid-morning along the beaches before the change reaches the city in the mid-afternoon.

North and east from Adelaide into southwestern NSW, temperatures will soar above 40 degrees with fire dangers reaching their highest level of the heat wave due to gustier winds. Any fires in the area will be very difficult to contain with the potential for homes to be lost.

Melbourne should then set a new record for the number of days in excess of 40 degrees, as the fourth day in a row goes beyond that threshold. The cool change will flood into the city during the early evening, with the gusty winds dropping temperatures sharply.

Canberra, Wagga Wagga and the rest of southwestern NSW will have to wait an extra day to see relief from its heatwave with the change not being felt there until at least Saturday afternoon.

As the cool change spreads from town to town, millions will throw open their doors and windows with a sigh of relief.

- Weatherzone

© Weatherzone 2014

Goodness, this is not weather, this is an endurance test.
And now every year it seems the same, unbearable heat here, unbearable fridge up North.

And in the end - likely rich bastards who created climate change will be the only ones left. It will cost a fortune to be able to survive.
All us ordinary bods will perish when we don't have millions to pay to get into the last habitable bits of earth.

We get proper sleep tonight, yeah.

We're in for 38 again here tomorrow. It was pretty hot outside today too.

We're in for 38 again here tomorrow. It was pretty hot outside today too.

Ahhhh, remember when 38 was very hot? The good old days.
At least you have dry heat over there - or is it getting humid, that would suck.

I feel for Tassie, when I lived there, anything over 25 felt like shit

We are heading into our second heat wave for the month. 40+ for each day for the next week.

OMG
Melbourne has turned into Perth.
Have you seen the latest weather forecast?
We get one day below 30 next week - woohoo.
39 tomorrow and a string of shithot days interrupted by one measly 25.

Melbourne weather news - we may get no winter!
Well no really cold wintery stuff, and if we do it may only be one month.
Our mildwave may continue for long enough to bump into El Nino - and that will begin to be felt in August.
El Nino - hot summer and good fishing for some WA i think. More shitty droughts in the east.

Melbourne weather news - we may get no winter!
Well no really cold wintery stuff, and if we do it may only be one month.
Our mildwave may continue for long enough to bump into El Nino - and that will begin to be felt in August.
El Nino - hot summer and good fishing for some WA i think. More shitty droughts in the east.

Damn! I like our winters. In fact, I do like four seasons. My childhood memories of Melbourne winters is that they used to be a lot colder. I'd like to have the daily high get as low as 8 occasionally, and a few nights down to at least 5. I know that's not cold in comparison to a lot of other places, but mildly chilly weather which requires a puffy coat outdoors and fluffy slippers indoors makes winter enjoyable for me.

EDIT: And BOOTS! I forgot to mention BOOTS!

Last edited:
^ wouldn't be surprised if some roofs come off tonight ...

regarDS

waiting for it here in Melbourne. It's not going to be nice at all tonight, Wind has just started to really pick up.

Back