Skip to main content

Survivor UK - starts Oct 28 (on 10Play Sun/Mon nights)

Brekkie

Staff member
Survivor UK begins it's revival this weekend - episodes air Sat/Sun, but with the Sun episode released online after Saturdays ep.

10Play will release them a few hours later on Sun/Mon night.

Very keen to watch this. It will either be a pickme up or a continued high after the world cup final tomorrow.

The edit will be interesting to see. UK does character development pretty well generally.

Pretty good first episode. Think the right person went especially after their comments at tribal and in their final words. Lawrence seems like a hoot.

They're showing up much earlier than suggested - in the morning as opposed to evening. Quite enjoyable.

I watched ep one Sunday morning, and ep 2 is sitting there already, now.

They're showing up much earlier than suggested - in the morning as opposed to evening. Quite enjoyable.

I watched ep one Sunday morning, and ep 2 is sitting there already, now.

Yeah I am pretty sure that TvTonight article is wrong and episodes are actually being released 8:30 am, 2 hours after the UK, not 8:30 pm.

This season has a real old school feel to it so far. Don't mind that. The edit is pretty even but we don't seem to have tribe narrators like they do on Aus and US and perhaps that's why it still feels slightly clunky to me. Christopher seems to be a good player so far I guess.

Intrigued what veteran Survivor fans think of it. As someone who only watches the Aussie version I just don't think it's firing yet.

This season has a real old school feel to it so far. Don't mind that. The edit is pretty even but we don't seem to have tribe narrators like they do on Aus and US and perhaps that's why it still feels slightly clunky to me. Christopher seems to be a good player so far I guess.
What do you mean by tribe narrators? I haven’t seen any of them yet but suspect you’re referring to the host narrating during the challenges?

Watching the premiere as I wait for BBUK to be uploaded. IDK there’s something about Joel that doesn’t seem to be working for me. He’s too nice and talks too much.

I’m also not really seeing much in terms of competitiveness. One of the girls basically said she was doing the show for the “experience” which is just not what this show is about. I do find it annoying when players overhype the competitive aspect of this show but there does need to be some hype. There is no soft strategy in the game of Survivor.

Also was is the BBC too cheap to buy Tribal Voices? I’m finding some of the background music to be a bit jarring (especially the use of pop music).

Also not a fan of having VT’s parsed throughout the episodes.

Well done with the second episode… There’s definitely something that’s just not clicking for me.

Joel is a very good shiny floor presenter but always felt the wrong fit for this but he was actually better than I thought he'd be and might grow into the role nicely.

Frankly he is the least of the shows problems. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's just not firing at the moment. I think skipping the 20 years of the format naturally evolving really just exposes how nowadays Survivor is just a series of challenges with some camping overnight in between them.

Joel is a very good shiny floor presenter but always felt the wrong fit for this but he was actually better than I thought he'd be and might grow into the role nicely.

Frankly he is the least of the shows problems. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's just not firing at the moment. I think skipping the 20 years of the format naturally evolving really just exposes how nowadays Survivor is just a series of challenges with some camping overnight in between them.
I don’t hate Joel but there’s definitely room for improvement. I will say he was better in Tribal than he was the rest of the time.

For me it definitely feels like the BBC are leaning towards less strategy and shifting more focus towards the challenges. I’m also not really finding much to get behind in terms of the cast either. I could look past the slow moving strategy/lack there of if there was more personality in the cast. It’s all a bit stale.

What do you mean by tribe narrators? I haven’t seen any of them yet but suspect you’re referring to the host narrating during the challenges?
Usually there is one person that the producers often get to talk through the general vibe of the tribe, who is happy, who isn't, who might be someone they want out etc during the scenes, especially the ones at the start of each episode. It's often the best confessional person in that tribe. But with UK, Joel is doing the narrating, but to me there is a disconnect whereby we aren't really getting the full picture of what is happening on the island for me

If the first weekend didn't confirm it episode 3 suggests Survivor UK is dead on arrival. It's just lifeless - a really dull watch. One of the most boring tribals I've ever seen.

They seem to have let this cast just play the game cold rather than getting them to at least watch some episodes of another version so they have some idea what they're supposed to be doing.

Usually four eps in to Survivor as a viewer you'd be invested in one tribe over the other and have individuals you want to see do well and a villain or two too hate but I just feel nothing for this lot.

What is really telling is that on the Digital Spy forums the Survivor thread has only added one page since this weekend episodes were released, whilst the Big Brother episode thread for tonight hit the mid-30s whilst still on air.

Last edited:
Yeah it's being edited as dry as a weetbix so far. I'm sure these tribes ARE having some fun out there but we haven't seen any of it. The tribes are too focused on strength as the only reason to vote someone out (except for Shai) which is also pretty boring so far.

Episode 5 is another stinker. I'd have given up on if it wasn't for someone saying the game began to kick in in episode 6. Defo the best episode of the series but still well below par.

Episode 6 was very good but wow the calaton 3 missed a huge opportunity by not going with Ren's plan. One of them will surely pay for it by being voted out premerge now.

My post got eaten last week in the outage. But the basic facts remain the same. Eps 3 + 4 were particularly dull. 5 + 6 were marginally better, but that last tribal was so turgid! I hate the enormous pauses before revealing each voting paper. I also find Joel's voice wrong for the role. The music continues to startle. There are a handful of people I want to see play on, but overall it is a very strategically challenged cast.

Back