Skip to main content

Show your gift

11923217_771007459675073_2807340514994390441_n%201.jpg

Bob's on his way to the UK ...

mercenary.jpg

Pencils by Dmitry Grebenkov
Inks by James Goodwin
I was approached by 3DTotal.com to contribute a tutorial for a new book they are publishing on A Beginners Guide to Comic Art. After bandying some ideas back and forth about what I could write about (many of my faourite pencillers and inkers were approached about myself being able to use their pictures that I have coloured in the past for this) we finally agreed that I use the pencils for this picture. Dmitry was fine with this of course.
I then got the pencils inked up by James who dropped everything and inked it up for me literally overnight and I coloured it up on the weekend.
The book is now available for pre order from Amazon. See the link below
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginners-G...2491&sr=8-3&keywords=beginners+guide+to+comic

There's no firm date for publication on the book itself just yet. It's still being written obviously...

More information about 3DTotal and the books they produce at http://www.3DTotal.com. They have lots of others about digital art and "how to" on their store.
Cheers
Sean

wonderwoman_hunt2015.jpg

pencils by - Ken Hunt
inks by - Tom Schloendorn

Between that book stuff I've been doing and this months Zenescope cover, I've been working on this off and on for about 3 weeks. But now. here it is... I've been blending the new movie look WW with her more traditional costume

cheers
Sean

nightwing.jpg

pencils and inks by Art Thibert
colour by me

It's been a while since I did an Art T picture... and I've never done Nightwing before. His must also be one the most inconsistent costumes in the comic world. Apart from black and the electric blue, it seems just about anything goes with the rest of the design. I couldn't find anything that matched this costume exactly on google to use for reference

I had the usual hassle with the background. I started doing clouds and before long had about 15 layers and a truly magnificent cloudscape background... and guess what you could see of the picture? That's right... the clouds... So I went a gutted all but two of the cloud layers, reduced the opacity and added some stars. There ya go..

nightwing.jpg

pencils and inks by Art Thibert
colour by me

It's been a while since I did an Art T picture... and I've never done Nightwing before. His must also be one the most inconsistent costumes in the comic world. Apart from black and the electric blue, it seems just about anything goes with the rest of the design. I couldn't find anything that matched this costume exactly on google to use for reference

I had the usual hassle with the background. I started doing clouds and before long had about 15 layers and a truly magnificent cloudscape background... and guess what you could see of the picture? That's right... the clouds... So I went a gutted all but two of the cloud layers, reduced the opacity and added some stars. There ya go..

It looks great! :D

nightwing___version_2_by_seane-d9c5gtk.jpg

It's been pointed out to me by various fanboys (in that way only really hardcore fanboys can do it...) as well as Art Thibert, that this version of Nightwing's colours are the correct one for the costume he's wearing. See the link for example --> vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/w…

With all the changes I've made since the original post I have now effectively coloured this entire picture twice...!

I'd just like to say to DC... Make up yer freakin' mind!!!!. Nightwing has more variations of costume, colour scheme and general appearance than just about any other DC character I've ever seen.

There is some amazing talent in these here boards :) Thanks everyone for being brave and sharing!

miho.jpg

Pencils by Paolo Pantalena
Inks by James Goodwin
Colour by me

Hmmm... How to colour a picture that is, for all purposes, meant to be entirely in black and white as per the film?... And, just to rub it in, make it a character that dresses all in black, and then because the poor colourist hasn't suffered enough, let's make it at night!

Colour it as normal, and then desaturate the heck out of it!!
smile.gif

Btw for those who speak Japanese, I hope I got the bit above her blue belt correct.
=p.gif
(The stuff on the bottom part is just gibberish though...)

spiderman_blackcat_goblin.jpg

pencils by David Finch
inks by Matt James

It's been almost 2 years since I last coloured a David Finch lineart...

monster_island.jpg

pencils and inks by David Lorenzo Riveiro

LOTS and lots of skeletons!! Plus I'm quite chuffed about how I got the rusty steel doors to look which was a specific part of the brief. I actually coloured this one twice in effect as this was my original idea with the mysterious red sky, but the guys at Zenescope wanted me to do a clear blue sky as well, so I did (see it here --> http://www.seanellery.com/gallery/albums/userpics/monster_island_day.jpg ). Personally I always thought this was the better version of the two.

Now out in previews for February 2016 --> http://westfieldcomics.com/comic-bo...from-Monster-Island-cover-B--Riveiro/15121579

Nothing for next month from me for Zenescope as I got passed over for colouring stuff for November (dammit..) so here's hoping for something in December... *crosses fingers*

cheers
Sean

September Mourning

september_mourning.jpg

pencils by Marc Silvestri
inks by Matt James

Just a quick one while I'm in the middle of end of year reports and marking for work (bleah...) Plus its been absolutely AGES since I did a Marc Silvestri picture *and* this will be the first I've done of his in his current sketchy style of drawing (makes it easy though... just slap colours on roughly and they look good!)

For those interested, the background lighting effect is flamepainter squiggles with the motion blur filter run though it.

cheers
Sean

September Mourning

september_mourning.jpg

pencils by Marc Silvestri
inks by Matt James

Just a quick one while I'm in the middle of end of year reports and marking for work (bleah...) Plus its been absolutely AGES since I did a Marc Silvestri picture *and* this will be the first I've done of his in his current sketchy style of drawing (makes it easy though... just slap colours on roughly and they look good!)

For those interested, the background lighting effect is flamepainter squiggles with the motion blur filter run though it.

cheers
Sean
looks great Sean ... can I ask how many hours would you spend doing something like this?

Back