Skip to main content

Post BB Housemate Antics - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently she has been getting some grief about her dyslexia?

yes we're aware she is dyslexic - but if she's promoting products she needs to take greater care to spell their hashtags correctly

dyslexia doesn't stop you from being able to double check the important stuff you're earning money from before you hit send

that being said I wouldn't go on her twitter feed and criticise her spelling or correct her on it ... people need to back off with the negativity on social media

question - where was Jade born? I know her dad is Italian, and her mum is Australian and she's fluent in Italian but never thought that English was her second language - I thought she grew up in Australia ...

being bilingual is wonderful - but I've always thought children living in Australia with bilingual background would still count english as their first language and the other as their second ... am I wrong thinking that?

oh sorry - was there a game on?

(care factor zero - its only league after all - call me when its Union and the All Blacks are playing)

question - where was Jade born? I know her dad is Italian, and her mum is Australian and she's fluent in Italian but never thought that English was her second language - I thought she grew up in Australia ...

being bilingual is wonderful - but I've always thought children living in Australia with bilingual background would still count english as their first language and the other as their second ... am I wrong thinking that?

I was thinking the same thing. I feel like she must have been born and lived there when she was younger then moved here with her Mum after her parents split then went back after she finished school here? I just don't know the exact timeline for it all.

As for the whole first/second language thing I guess it's really up to the individual and their circumstances/experience. Personally I learnt Spanish and English from birth (getting me to favour one over the other became a fierce competition between my parents) so I'd consider both to be my first language. However my dominant language is a different matter. It was Spanish up until I started school then it became English.

I was thinking the same thing. I feel like she must have been born and lived there when she was younger then moved here with her Mum after her parents split then went back after she finished school here? I just don't know the exact timeline for it all.

As for the whole first/second language thing I guess it's really up to the individual and their circumstances/experience. Personally I learnt Spanish and English from birth (getting me to favour one over the other became a fierce competition between my parents) so I'd consider both to be my first language. However my dominant language is a different matter. It was Spanish up until I started school then it became English.

I have always wondered - Do you think in english or spanish or visa versa when either language is spoken (if you get what I mean)

Grenoble France - Border of Italy and France. Mother was a model. Met when Fabio came to Australia re-Aboriginal Art. I think this is correct.

Grenoble France - Border of Italy and France. Mother was a model. Met when Fabio came to Australia re-Aboriginal Art. I think this is correct.

I'm not sure where her parents met, but she lived in Italy until they split up when Jade was 4. That's when she moved to Australia with her mother, but I think she still spent time each year in Italy with her father and his family.

I like Jade for the most part, but it seems like a cop out to me to blame her spelling on being bilingual. Firstly I don't think you would say that she's "ESL" since she has no problem communicating verbally, but I know people who learnt English in school and beyond who can spell no problem. She has dyslexia and that sucks, that's all it is. But for sure people who call her out on it are total jerks.

I have always wondered - Do you think in english or spanish or visa versa when either language is spoken (if you get what I mean)

I get this question a lot and it's never an easy one to answer. A lot of time it's subconscious but mostly it does depend on the language being used because it's easier to form a sentence, in the language you want, from scratch rather than translating into it. So when I'm with friends or at work I'm thinking in English but with the family Spanish. Even then though I always think of my Dad and his side in English and it's common for me to randomly use the odd English word or phrase with my Mum and her side without realising. The only time I think exclusively in one over the other is with numbers which I always see, read, and think of in spanish - why I don't know considering I was taught maths in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back