Nine loses The Big Bang Theory to Seven

mistercat122

Professional Idiot
Don't really care about the show but thought I should post it here:

Nine loses The Big Bang Theory to Seven
  • 7 HOURS AGO SEPTEMBER 01, 2015 5:04PM
070069-2198b8fe-5066-11e5-af2f-e6e8604c3982.jpg

The Big Bang Theory is heading to Channel 7. Source: Supplied

IN A big win for Channel 7, the network has secured the free-to-air rights to the first seven seasons of The Big Bang Theory.

Seven confirmed the deal today, taking the popular US sitcom away from rival Nine, which has held the rights to the replays for the past several years.

Seven plans to roll out seasons one to seven, comprising 159 episodes, on its main channel and digital channel 7mate from October. It will take the rights to season eight in 2016.

“The Big Bang Theory provides demographic certainty for Seven. It will ensure we have Australia’s biggest digital channels and will give 7mate unprecedented demographic dominance,” Seven head of programming Angus Ross said.

Nine will retain the rights to new episodes of The Big Bang Theory, including its upcoming ninth season, set to premiere on September 21 in the US.

The CBS comedy has been a massive hit for Nine, which has relied on airing episodes as a gap-filler during non-ratings periods and during prime time slots when local content underperforms.

The network has already aired 150 hours of The Big Bang Theory this year.

The rights for the series have been effectively up for grabs since Nine pulled back on its output deal with Warner Bros studio.

I think this is ACTUALLY a bizarre move to let it go. I know that on TV forums and TV critics are very critical of it and its success, but it brings in ratings. Nine have shoved it in a replacement slot last minute many times and it still ends up in top 10 shows of the night. How could they let it go?
It's not even as if it's been a long time since it has rated, it still consistently rates.

Nine are digging a deep hole.

I agree with one editor that it was a little OTT for the seven exec to say that he was declaring war on 9 and 10 or whatever he said, but they seem to have certainly woken up and gone on the aggressive front foot.

The TV landscape is rapidly changing. Interesting.

call me dense - but they say Seven will take series eight in 2016 but also say Nine will show the new series which airs in the States from Sep 21

so Nine will show the forthcoming new series and Seven is sloppy seconds --- sorry ... reruns?

at some point you'd think viewing public would reach saturation point with reruns ... but then again isn't MASH still shown somewhere?

And Simpsons, Seinfeld and Friends.
Some shows have rerun appeal - I think you get a bit of a base up with that and that gives you the edge with overall ratings.

And Simpsons, Seinfeld and Friends.
Some shows have rerun appeal - I think you get a bit of a base up with that and that gives you the edge with overall ratings.

Sitcoms are great for re-runs because unlike dramas the characters don't really change that much, and you don't need to watch the show like in chronological order to know what is going on in a particular episode.

call me dense - but they say Seven will take series eight in 2016 but also say Nine will show the new series which airs in the States from Sep 21

so Nine will show the forthcoming new series and Seven is sloppy seconds --- sorry ... reruns?

at some point you'd think viewing public would reach saturation point with reruns ... but then again isn't MASH still shown somewhere?
It is. Everybody Loves Raymond is another one. Dreadful show but a standby one if nothing else appeals.

It is. Everybody Loves Raymond is another one. Dreadful show but a standby one if nothing else appeals.

I tried watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond once but I just couldn't get through it. It was too boring for me.

I can't believe that Frasier is being left off this unofficial re run worthy list.
Niles love of Daphne was the greatest long running subplot of all time.... Shits all over the Ross and Rachel thing. #justsaying

Nothing against the show personally, but it actually annoys me how much this show is on. Some nights it seems like it's endless, it just seems like lazy programming to me (and in the past they've done the same with the Simpsons, Everybody Loves Raymond, Seinfeld etc).

I remember at one point when I was uni I was purposely staying up until 1am to watch the late rerun of Ray. No idea why as that show sucks, I can't stand it now. There is no limit to Friends refuns though, there really isn't. My girlfriend did not grow up watching it like I did so can take or leave it and she doesn't understand how a person can watch the same show so many bloody times as though I'm the weird one. She's weird for not liking it. Seriously.

BBT is ok I guess, I resisted it for so long as it reminded me of Two and a Half Men which is awful, almost as awful as 2 Broke Girls. Most sitcoms suck.

I remember at one point when I was uni I was purposely staying up until 1am to watch the late rerun of Ray. No idea why as that show sucks, I can't stand it now. There is no limit to Friends refuns though, there really isn't. My girlfriend did not grow up watching it like I did so can take or leave it and she doesn't understand how a person can watch the same show so many bloody times as though I'm the weird one. She's weird for not liking it. Seriously.

BBT is ok I guess, I resisted it for so long as it reminded me of Two and a Half Men which is awful, almost as awful as 2 Broke Girls. Most sitcoms suck.
Broke Girls is dire. Really bad. 2.5 men went bad a long time ago. I wonder if the makers don't know when to go out on an appropriate note. Look at the Simpsons. From what I've heard it's nowhere near as good. I never liked it from the start anyway but it's on a lot on channel 11. Speaking of 11, what's with the entire weeks worth of Neighbours repeats?

Well it can't be that intellectual, I mean I like the show and understand it... Has to be another reason... Hmmm....
It's true though, it's sophisticated humour, it took me a while to get into it.

Yeah I didn't realise how far downhill the Simpsons have gone but they have been doing old school repeats and they're so much funnier.

Frasier was a farce comedy. It was also fun to see the pompous Frasier and Niles get taken down a peg or two.
Anyone here ever read Ken Levine's blog?

Oh yeah, old school Simpsons shits all over new episodes, obviously. It was actually really clever back then and genuinely funny and even poignant at times if you're into that. New Simpsons more closely resembles Family Guy (which I find fairly abhorrent personally) so I guess some people prefer it. I find if I just accept that and think if it as a new show some eps are alright. I'll still watch it though of course.

Majority of shows have very limited rewatch value even if you know the characters and story lines well.

Back