Skip to main content

Interesting Documentaries

I recently have watched the first two parts of a British documentary series, "The Secret Life of Buildings."

Really fascinating stuff if you're interested in architecture, design and it's effects on people.

Some of the stuff is amazing. Like this school where they renovated it and literally the students behavior significantly improved and so did the grades on a state level.

It's one of those things, it's so important design of where we live and work and yet it's so often over looked. The show also goes into the science, while some demonstrations are unscientific examples due to not being blinded ect, they're showing the science from the actual research.

First episode was on houses. Second was on Offices (including schools). I think the third is public architecture.

School calssrooms all done in white with no natural lighting or ventilation are one of my biggest pet hates. Of course the kids can't concentrate in an airless, dark concrete block ffs !!

Late night on the ABC they had a documentary about two English guys that had built a flying car. It's a little dune buggy with a huge fan on the back and sail that fills up with air and it flies...... They took it all the way from the UK to Timbuktu going across the Sahara .... Was so interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/625842

cities-underworld-complete-season-one-dvd-cover-art.jpg

I've got season 1 and there are 3 seasons in this. So far it's quite good.

It delves into the old cities that lie underneath modern day places like New York and such, and what things were like in those days. Really interesting

Sounds interesting. I think I've seen something about that before, that dust builds up over time from all the construction work and as the city gets higher new buildings get built on top of it or something?

Sounds interesting. I think I've seen something about that before, that dust builds up over time from all the construction work and as the city gets higher new buildings get built on top of it or something?

Not quite, but almost. What you are describing is correct but takes something in the order of thousands of years. Maybe if we visited where Melbourne is in say 2000 years the city we recognize may no longer exist and you'd have to pop a mamhole cover open to find the old buildings and stuff underground... I think they showed this kind of thing on the documentary "life after people"

What they are showing is tunnels and bunkers, and rooms that have been dug out usually for times of war. The first episode which I just finished they were in Berlin and how during WW II the Nazis had started building massive networks of tunnels and bunkers right under the streets of downtown Berlin. Virtual cities underground with all the essentials needed to hold a population. Cool stuff seeing all this stuff they find.

I saw some story / doco / news thing once about homeless kids in Russia who live in those underground spaces, the heat from the pipes down there keeps them alive in winter. Very sad indeed.

I saw some story / doco / news thing once about homeless kids in Russia who live in those underground spaces, the heat from the pipes down there keeps them alive in winter. Very sad indeed.

I just watched the episode about Budapest and there's a maze of caverns and tunnels under there, and old public baths too.... Public bathing is still done in the city on the surface too in heated pools. But this was a cool episode. They showed this underground room which was a maze of sorts and held a functioning hospital. It was in case of nuclear war but was never used.

A little something for the nostalgic Oz rock lovers. A doco on Split Enz. You can watch it here.

No, sorry.

Watched Hoop Dreams on Sunday. That was very good.

Another good one coming up this Sunday ABC2 shot by Adrian from Entourage about a teenage paparrazo

Yeah that Kid Paparazzo thing looks really interesting.

Another SBS doco coming soon sounds great too, called Family, filming a real family for 100 hours

Apparently SBS has commissioned a second series of its refugee documentary Go Back to Where You Came From, which will screen next year.

Eww yuck.
Anyone watching Rome Wasn't Built in a Day?, doco about guys building a Roman villa in UK using only roman tools and methods - they have to hack their own stone bricks, hew their own wood, etc it's quite interesting.

Eww yuck.
Anyone watching Rome Wasn't Built in a Day?, doco about guys building a Roman villa in UK using only roman tools and methods - they have to hack their own stone bricks, hew their own wood, etc it's quite interesting.

Yeah sort of like a very old fashioned Grand Designs...

I just got the BBC doco about the human body that was recently on TV.. Two disk set and there's another volume called "building a human body"

Watched the doco/movie 'Catfish' yesterday. Now i'm suspicious of EVERYONE on the internet =p Thought it was pretty good & I have so much respect for the way the guy handled it. Worth a watch if you haven't already.

Also on my list to watch are:

Requiem for Detroit
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1572190/

I watched a doco not long back about Detroit, I think it might have been that one, not sure, but it was quite interesting. And sad too, to see how a whole city can become almost a ghost town. It's worth a watch if we're talking about the same doco.

This is back up on the ABC at the moment for anyone interested:

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/649997

It's up for another 13 days.

Back