Skip to main content

General O/T Chit Chat Thead II

Have had an interesting day. Due to my sister being discharged from hospital after having a keyhole hysterectomy and my parents on niece minding duty, my birthday lunch was cancelled (by me). One less thing for everyone to try and fit in. Had dinner with my family yesterday, minus Kirsten, instead. Today I went to the funeral of a friend's mother, then had dinner with three friends. As I had potential car trouble which seemed to fix itself somewhat, I didn't get to go to Chadstone to pick up my Pandora Christmas/birthday present to myself. With 45 minutes left of my birthday I'm sitting down and having a glass of wine. Happy 55th Birthday to me.[DOUBLEPOST=1484828218][/DOUBLEPOST]
GOOOOOOOOD MOANNNNNIN FAUX T THREAD!

Finished two earlies on a new Ward and it is just brilliant! Lots of different nursing considerations and all new faces. The Ward has a far greater turn over than the one I am on, new clients are admitted several times a day, with discharges obviously moving just as quickly.

So far so good :)
I'm pleased that it's going well.

To add to the birthday stuff, I was killing time in First Choice liquor as it was under the restaurant and I was early and saw Berri 5l casks for 3 for $33, which even though it's cask, is a bargain. I get a bit of pleasure seeing bargains like that. I was more interested in a bottle of red (Deadbolt) which I didn't find.

To add to the birthday stuff, I was killing time in First Choice liquor as it was under the restaurant and I was early and saw Berri 5l casks for 3 for $33, which even though it's cask, is a bargain. I get a bit of pleasure seeing bargains like that. I was more interested in a bottle of red (Deadbolt) which I didn't find.
Happy birthday, Fiona!

Hey how is your Dad?

Happy birthday, Fiona!

Hey how is your Dad?
Hi Tracey. He's doing well, thankyou. Getting more frail, which at 83 for both parents is par for the course for many people. He's just had some things cut off his arm. Been having things burned or cut off for years. My sister's health is more of a concern lately. At least we know there's no cancer after her op this week.

I am. Just not IV endorsed. I actually got a friend to look for me, and you can get your IV endorsement for $450. The one I was looking at is an Advanced Diploma. I am still considering it as the RPL's would mean I am almost at RN level and therefore would only need to do a few modules before a million prac hours.

So good to see you in here by the way!

:)
Oh, you should totally go for that, you will become an RN in no time. well done. Every time i see your pool, I want one, actually I have always wanted one, but they are so expensive now.

Have had an interesting day. Due to my sister being discharged from hospital after having a keyhole hysterectomy and my parents on niece minding duty, my birthday lunch was cancelled (by me). One less thing for everyone to try and fit in. Had dinner with my family yesterday, minus Kirsten, instead. Today I went to the funeral of a friend's mother, then had dinner with three friends. As I had potential car trouble which seemed to fix itself somewhat, I didn't get to go to Chadstone to pick up my Pandora Christmas/birthday present to myself. With 45 minutes left of my birthday I'm sitting down and having a glass of wine. Happy 55th Birthday to me.[DOUBLEPOST=1484828218][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm pleased that it's going well.
Happy late birthday, I have been slack with my birthday wishes, did you get your pandora bracelet, I have been thinking of getting one for myself, though I dnt want too many charms on them. Hope you were no where need that maniac on friday xx

Happy late birthday, I have been slack with my birthday wishes, did you get your pandora bracelet, I have been thinking of getting one for myself, though I dnt want too many charms on them. Hope you were no where need that maniac on friday xx
I've got my collection of bracelets done. This was a ring. Art deco in style. One of those wide ones that could double as an engagement/wedding ring if needs be. No, I wasn't anywhere near the city, but we did receive the man involved, some of the victims and his brother who was stabbed earlier in the day.

Happy belated birthday @Khun Khun , sorry to hear your sister is ill but glad to hear your father is doing well. Hopefully everyone is in good health concurrently soon!

Oh, you should totally go for that, you will become an RN in no time. well done. Every time i see your pool, I want one, actually I have always wanted one, but they are so expensive now.
I am really considering it.

I got through my night shifts. The fact I have to do 2 a fortnight is horrible! So many nurses actually prefer them. The workload is so different. You basically spend your night sitting, by 04:30 I had walked 960 steps. My last night shift, we didn't need to call the MO on once!

It really is lovely. And because it is an 80's pool it is HUGE! My sister in law couldn't get over the size of it. We are repainting it in winter, which will be a horror job for my partner.

No, I wasn't anywhere near the city, but we did receive the man involved, some of the victims and his brother who was stabbed earlier in the day.

That was such a heartbreaking and horrible thing to happen.

Our mental health system and our judicial system need to be urgently overhauled. Everyday Australians would be horrified at the mental state and criminal history of people our system allows to walk the streets freely despite the obvious danger they present to our community.

Our mental health system and our judicial system need to be urgently overhauled. Everyday Australians would be horrified at the mental state and criminal history of people our system allows to walk the streets freely despite the obvious danger they present to our community.
It was a nasty episode, that's for sure. I worked Friday night and was fielding calls right, left and centre from people not having had contact with family and friends and wanting to know if they were with us. Every day/night since, there has been one police car outside as a person is under police guard. Yes, those areas do need a bit of stepping up. They seem to be woefully inadequate.

Reactions: Tee
I am really considering it.

I got through my night shifts. The fact I have to do 2 a fortnight is horrible! So many nurses actually prefer them. The workload is so different. You basically spend your night sitting, by 04:30 I had walked 960 steps. My last night shift, we didn't need to call the MO on once!

It really is lovely. And because it is an 80's pool it is HUGE! My sister in law couldn't get over the size of it. We are repainting it in winter, which will be a horror job for my partner.
Not only that, the water bill or do you truck it in?. Yes, I am always envious when I see your pool.

Not only that, the water bill or do you truck it in?. Yes, I am always envious when I see your pool.
We will do both. Not sure how much it will cost in water, but once you get past the initial outlay the water needed to keep up levels is minimal. We top up maybe every two months when it is hot and never in the cooler months.

You okay regarding Friday's horror? Do you have someone you can debrief with?

We will do both. Not sure how much it will cost in water, but once you get past the initial outlay the water needed to keep up levels is minimal. We top up maybe every two months when it is hot and never in the cooler months.

You okay regarding Friday's horror? Do you have someone you can debrief with?
I am fine. Thankyou for your concern. I was on nights so the initial trauma was over by the time I got there and being on switchboard, I'm not in actual contact with patients/family anymore. I am fairly relaxed about stuff like that though. The only time I've ever had to debrief was after a workmate who became a very dear friend committed suicide.

Reactions: Tee

Yes it's quite terrifying, I really hope that something positive can come out of this horrible event and that this really gets highlighted and addressed in a meaningful way. This was preventable, of course the blame lies on the man, but I do wonder how the members of the judicial system who were complicit in him not being locked away in some capacity felt.

Very sad all round.

I am fine. Thankyou for your concern. I was on nights so the initial trauma was over by the time I got there and being on switchboard, I'm not in actual contact with patients/family anymore. I am fairly relaxed about stuff like that though. The only time I've ever had to debrief was after a workmate who became a very dear friend committed suicide.

You are obviously a great person for the job you do to remain so calm, even without the direct contact. It must be so intense to be exposed to something like that.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Good Moanin Faux T thread!

My life is SO busy ATM! I have bumped my hours up to a .8pf, and I have to do two nights per fortnight which is making time fly.

I am feeling quite out of my depth on this new Ward. While it has been a great experience so far, it is so mentally stressful. I learn something new every day, but I also feel I grow another grey hair each shift from the stress. This week marks week 3 of my 6 week secondment and I can't believe how quickly time has gone! January has vanished already!

This secondment has shown we as nurses we really need to move wards every 3-5 years for professional growth.

Hope you are all well, special shout out to @el'coopo. Mutley update, he just has his tickets booked for his US adventure in March (unless Trump puts a new ban on hot gays entering his kingdom). He says hi!

Xo

Back