Skip to main content

Doctor Who

...another great episode!... I liked this bit... cheers.

JWWkkI.gif

Delicious, 2nd time around.

And could Clara be a Dalek? She has always been a Dalek, or something.
Souffle girl mystery perhaps?
I see cybermen are in the preview.

Love the look of what has to be a new companion, she looks like a modern warrior elf from Rivendale.

And oh yeah, @stickeyfingers - mythical, a few refs, red riding hood, sleeping beauty, fairies,
and it moved into Ent like Lord of the Rings myth, and fairy tales of old England,
heavily Druid stuff with nature.
And all a bit Triffidy at first.

Oh and, Clara, whatever she is, she can't be staying for long they are getting everything ready, even the sad and dramatic goodbyes between Doctor and Clara - am I wrong?
Seems evident to me, what do you think???

Who in the preview are you guys thinking might be the new companion?
I don't have it recorded, but I think I saw Kate Lethbridge-Stewart, and Osgood with her inhaler.

CLASSIC WHO MARATHON
The Sensorites is one of only a handful of DW stories that I had never seen before starting this marathon (I'll mention any others as I get to them). Despite having it on video, and then DVD, I'd never really been inspired to fill the gap. Coming up to it this time, I admit to feeling a bit apprehensive, like it might possibly be the first stumbling block in what has been a terrific run of episodes. Should I have worried? Not particularly. I'm either blessed or cursed with finding something to enjoy about every episode, and I don't like to focus on the negative, other than in the context of gently mocking anything ridiculous, which adds an element of fun to the process anyway. The Sensorites themselves seemed to be a cheap monster of the week, never to return, though they do score credibility points in the new series when we learn that they are related to the Ood. The Sensorites are quite charming in their own way, especially in a scene where they kindly explain to the audience that their hearts are in the centre of their chests, or when doing a "I have never thought of that!" double-take, or a "Yes, yes it was" back-track when caught out lying.
What this story does provide is character development for Susan, and a chance for Carole Ann Ford to shine, which she mostly does. Even when she fumbles a line ("We can both guide them... we can guide them both") it's no big deal and is kind of charming anyway. Her line "Isn't it better to travel hopefully than arrive?" is perplexing, but equally charming. The Doctor and Susan have their first real argument as she disobeys him for the first time, and we get to see her telepathic powers at last. Susan also gets to lighten up a bit, laughing at the Sensorites and their "flip flip flop" feet.
William Hartnell seemed to have enjoyed this story, and it's evident in his performance, particularly when injecting moments of humour such as his "And what's wrong with that?" mock indignation when someone comments on someone else's hair turning white.
Carol, one of the human crewmembers abducted by the Sensorites, is played by Ilona Rogers, who would later play psychic Zara Moonbeam in Prisoner, my other favourite show.
The commentary track on the DVD features William Russell, Carole Ann Ford, plus the designer, make-up artist and one of the Sensorite actors (who identifies himself as "the fat one", bless).
In summary, I did enjoy this one a lot more than I expected, and for a show that is over 50 years old that's not a bad thing by any means.

Love the look of what has to be a new companion, she looks like a modern warrior elf from Rivendale.

And oh yeah, @stickeyfingers - mythical, a few refs, red riding hood, sleeping beauty, fairies,
and it moved into Ent like Lord of the Rings myth, and fairy tales of old England,

Oh and, Clara, whatever she is, she can't be staying for long they are getting everything ready, even the sad and dramatic goodbyes between Doctor and Clara - am I wrong?

...oh wow kxk... I have to agree with all of this post...Clara reverting or should I say... eventually becoming a Dalek makes so much sense!... and you're dead right about them getting everyone ready for Clara to leave... the fact that she loves Danny Pink and has lied to him about travelling again with The Doctor means that eventually Danny is probably going to give Clara the... 'it's either him or me' ultimatum in the end methinks... and we all know right now who she'll pick don't we?... a great insight into the workings of all of the workings of Dr Who kxk... well done!... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
..Meglos... yet another great review!... I'm loving these recaps of episodes of days gone past... I so appreciate both yours and nutmegs efforts in doing these for us... they really are good fun to read... cheers.

CLASSIC WHO MARATHON
The Sensorites

CLASSIC WHO MARATHON
The Sensorites
is one of only a handful of DW stories that I had never seen before starting this marathon (I'll mention any others as I get to them). Despite having it on video, and then DVD, I'd never really been inspired to fill the gap. Coming up to it this time, I admit to feeling a bit apprehensive, like it might possibly be the first stumbling block in what has been a terrific run of episodes. Should I have worried? Not particularly. I'm either blessed or cursed with finding something to enjoy about every episode, and I don't like to focus on the negative, other than in the context of gently mocking anything ridiculous, which adds an element of fun to the process anyway. The Sensorites themselves seemed to be a cheap monster of the week, never to return, though they do score credibility points in the new series when we learn that they are related to the Ood. The Sensorites are quite charming in their own way, especially in a scene where they kindly explain to the audience that their hearts are in the centre of their chests, or when doing a "I have never thought of that!" double-take, or a "Yes, yes it was" back-track when caught out lying.
What this story does provide is character development for Susan, and a chance for Carole Ann Ford to shine, which she mostly does. Even when she fumbles a line ("We can both guide them... we can guide them both") it's no big deal and is kind of charming anyway. Her line "Isn't it better to travel hopefully than arrive?" is perplexing, but equally charming. The Doctor and Susan have their first real argument as she disobeys him for the first time, and we get to see her telepathic powers at last. Susan also gets to lighten up a bit, laughing at the Sensorites and their "flip flip flop" feet.
William Hartnell seemed to have enjoyed this story, and it's evident in his performance, particularly when injecting moments of humour such as his "And what's wrong with that?" mock indignation when someone comments on someone else's hair turning white.
Carol, one of the human crewmembers abducted by the Sensorites, is played by Ilona Rogers, who would later play psychic Zara Moonbeam in Prisoner, my other favourite show.
The commentary track on the DVD features William Russell, Carole Ann Ford, plus the designer, make-up artist and one of the Sensorite actors (who identifies himself as "the fat one", bless).
In summary, I did enjoy this one a lot more than I expected, and for a show that is over 50 years old that's not a bad thing by any means.

Wonderful review Meglos, not much to add but …

What an odd but gorgeous little nostalgia trip the team had at the start of the first episode, loving their ‘great spirit of adventure’. So lovely to see them finally bonded as a team, until the Doctor’s hissy fit at the end. Barbara/Ian still expressed that they were hoping to get home, but I don’t believe them anymore.

Everything about the Sensorites’ appearance was odd, ‘cheap monster of the week’ indeed. I saw a costume flaw online, but didn't spot it myself.
sensorites-blooper-2.jpg

From the white jelly beans that approached the ship (mmm, white ones are my favourites) to their feet, faces and onesies, the Sensorites were less than impressive visually.
sensorites_305-new.jpg

My favourite scene was when a Seniority popped up in the space station’s window. Peeping Tom Sensorite, lol.
th

And what was going on with their beards … very Thomas Keneally.
th
birthday_65268c.jpg

But you are right Meglos, they are quite charming. Trusting, naïve, well-mannered and gentle. Ok, there is obviously the odd rogue one, but the rest are just darling hearts. Where were the lady Sensorites though? Unless they don’t need another gender for reproduction, so there are no women, female Sensorites must be excluded from positions of power. How very 1960s Earth, lol. Funny that one of the Sensorite actors called himself 'the fat one'. I wouldn't have called any of them fat, but one definitely had muffin tops.

When they were in the aqua duct and fought off the man from the previous humans’ ship, they got the badging from his shoulder pad. It was kinda cute, because it read INEER, but the Doctor spelt it out as INNER. No retakes for Doctor Who in the 1960s. I loved their commander too … his depiction of being driven crazy by isolation and paranoia was lots of fun, he was like a mad Churchill, with his focused but over the top speeches.

The Doctor really shone this episode, he was very dashing and Doctor-like … and he featured quite a lot. And Susan got a chance to stop being an hysterical 15 year old and to show her mature compassion and understanding, with her extra insight from being able to communicate with the Sensorites via telepathy. Disappointing she doesn’t get to stay telepathic, and all the talk of home gets me thinking about who she really is and what her relationship with the Doctor actually is. Are they really related? If so, then she must surely regenerate as well, so is she still out there somewhere?

As usual it was loaded with timeless themes: trust; demonising outsiders to secure power; the ethics of plundering environmental resources, especially when those resources belong to someone else. That’s my favourite thing about DW, the messages that are explored in the context of fairness, often looked at from both sides.

The Sensorites might have been a little long, but still a great adventure.
Wow, I had more to add than I thought.

Who in the preview are you guys thinking might be the new companion?
I don't have it recorded, but I think I saw Kate Lethbridge-Stewart, and Osgood with her inhaler.
I thought that when Maebh's sister Annabel came out of the bushes it was an oddly grand moment, and with no explanation about where she has been and why she was hiding in a bush, so I thought maybe Annabel will return, and possibly as a companion. Just a theory though.

I really like the Dalek/Soufflé Girl theory, it would open up a whole new world of possibilities for Dalek stories, with Clara DNA Daleks.

It would also put an end to the Impossible Girl storyline, which I love, but is kind of problematic to keep up, considering it has been supposedly going on for 12 Doctor's and if it goes on as is, she should be rescuing the Doctor from here on ever after.

...oh wow kxk... I have to agree with all of this post...Clara reverting or should I say... eventually becoming a Dalek makes so much sense!... and you're dead right about them getting everyone ready for Clara to leave... the fact that she loves Danny Pink and has lied to him about travelling again with The Doctor means that eventually Danny is probably going to give Clara the... 'it's either him or me' ultimatum in the end methinks... and we all know right now who she'll pick don't we?... a great insight into the workings of all of the workings of Dr Who kxk... well done!... cheers.
I hope Danny doesn't give her the ultimatum, though it might happen. To me he seems like someone who would want his partner to make her own decisions, but he if didn't like it he might bail. And I'd be annoyed with Clara if she let her man dictate to her what she should do, so I think, or at least am hoping, that when Clara goes it is her own decision.

But in true Impossible Girl fashion, I assume something fairly dramatic is going to have to happen to make her leave. In fact, I think she is addicted to travelling with the Doctor, and in keeping with Missy's heaven, it might be a self sacrifice?

Oooo ooooo or maybe that's the thing - Missy has her under thrall. spell. control something or the daleky/cyberman thing connects her.

And it is this keeps her with the Doctor, she can't control it - and that would explain the weird behaviour and lying and stuff that seems out of control.
Is this a fake Clara, a dalek projection, next stage dalek, oooo all kinds of weird stuff could be going on.

And Maeb's sister is surely going to be a companion - she is magic.
She looked like an elf from rivendale, a fantastic idea, it would be cool to have something not so human.

And anyone recall the fairy things in Torchwood, nature protectors and freaky little girl stealers?
Are they the same or related?

Yes Clara's behaviour lately has been odd, considering her uber responsible governess/teacher background. She never stopped being responsible for her students, but on the flip side she became deceitful and therefore hurtful, and can't give up danger. So we could well find out that there is a reason to explain that behaviour.

@kxk The fairies in Torchwood feaked me out, it would be very interesting to see them or their relatives again.

@nutmeg Another awesome review. I noticed the INNER/INEER gaffe but not the Sensorites costume one!
An interesting bit of trivia from the DVD commentary (I love DW trivia) : The director of the last 2 episodes, Frank Cox, is married to Bridget Turner, who appeared in the David Tennant story Gridlock. She was one of the older lady couple in one of the gridlocked space cars.
20120616120953-48b1846b.jpg

And so the Circle of Who continues. I've often joked that every actor in the UK has appeared in DW at least once, and that it won't be long before we've all appeared in DW, lol. I loved Gridlock, and the last two episodes ... glad to see a talented couple enjoy being part of something like DW together, if not at the same time.

I didn't notice the Sensorites costume gaffe either, but I sooooo don't think it has been photoshopped, lol.

I'm starting The Reign Of Terror tomorrow, another one I've seen none of, really looking forward to it, and seeing how the 2 animated episodes turned out.

...another great episode!... I liked this bit... cheers.

JWWkkI.gif

I was waiting for a GIF of this moment to show up.

Ummmmmmm. I didn't love this episode. It was ok, but not great. I guess I feel weird about episodes that set at exactly our time because it reminds me that this is in an alternative reality and not our own (which breaks my heart). Also the tree shield concept was so obvious from the beginning it was frustrating when the Doctor finally got it. It wasn't giving the characters enough credit. Also the firefly guardian things were never really properly explained. Lots of frustrating loose ends.

THEN WTF FINALE ALREADY they kind of just threw everything in the blender at once. The grand story arc hasn't even had any lead up this season. There have been no details revealed whatsoever then suddenly it's the finale. Makes me uneasy. Except the preview did hint it's related to Clara being the impossible girl.

I was waiting for a GIF of this moment to show up.

Ummmmmmm. I didn't love this episode. It was ok, but not great. I guess I feel weird about episodes that set at exactly our time because it reminds me that this is in an alternative reality and not our own (which breaks my heart). Also the tree shield concept was so obvious from the beginning it was frustrating when the Doctor finally got it. It wasn't giving the characters enough credit. Also the firefly guardian things were never really properly explained. Lots of frustrating loose ends.

THEN WTF FINALE ALREADY they kind of just threw everything in the blender at once. The grand story arc hasn't even had any lead up this season. There have been no details revealed whatsoever then suddenly it's the finale. Makes me uneasy. Except the preview did hint it's related to Clara being the impossible girl.
I find the alternative reality stuff disappointing too ... why can't it be real?!! Of course, in this case, they tried to fit it into our reality by saying that humans are good at forgetting, but the world being completely covered in trees overnight would be kinda hard to forget. Still, I can live with it, how else could they explain it.

Back